Howard Kendall Has Died

stoneyboy

Former Everton manager Howard Kendall dies at age 69

LIVERPOOL, England (AP) — Howard Kendall, who led Everton to two league championships and a European title in the mid-1980s in the first of three coaching spells with the English club, has died. He was 69.

Everton said Kendall died in hospital in Southport, northwestern England, on Saturday. The club did not give a cause of death.

Kendall first took charge of Everton from 1981-87, winning the English league title and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1985, and the league again in 1987. It was the most successful period in the club's history.

He also managed Everton from 1990-93 and for the 1997-98 season, having previously spent seven years of his playing career at the club.

"It is with great sadness that Everton Football Club has learned of the passing of Howard Kendall," an Everton club statement said. "The most successful manager in the history of the club and one of the greatest players to pull on the Everton jersey."

As well as managing Everton, Kendall also took control of Blackburn, Spanish side Athletic Bilbao, Manchester City, Notts County, Sheffield United and Greek sides Xanthi and Ethnikos Piraeus.

But it was at Everton — specifically during his first tenure as manager — where he achieved the most success, often battling against fierce local rival Liverpool for silverware.

Everton won the 1985 league title by finishing 13 points ahead of Liverpool. Kendall's side also won the European Cup Winners' Cup that season and reached the FA Cup final, where it lost to Manchester United.

Liverpool beat Everton 3-1 in the 1986 FA Cup final and also regained the league title, before Everton won it back the following season.

Kendall's teams in that era included footballers such as Peter Reid, Trevor Steven, Andy Gray and Gary Lineker — some of the best players to represent Everton.

"It was a privilege to play for Howard Kendall's Everton," Lineker wrote on Twitter on Saturday. "Condolences to all his family."

The league title in 1987 was the final act of Kendall's first reign as Everton manager, as he departed for Bilbao soon after.

As a player, Kendall was considered one of the best never to play for England.

Together with Alan Ball and Colin Harvey at Everton, he formed a three-man midfield partnership which was nicknamed 'the holy trinity' for its contribution to winning the league title in 1970.

He was signed for Everton from Preston North End in 1967 and also played for Birmingham, Stoke and Blackburn, before returning to Goodison Park in 1981.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-18

I have a sneaky feeling that, like Ferguson, one game was the turning point - and I was at it.

Oxford United, who were turning into giantkillers, had a 1-0 lead against Everton in the Milk Cup QF in 1983, and I think if they'd lost he would have been sacked.

But in the closing minutes, Adrian Heath poached a late equaliser, and Everton went on to win the replay and eventually got to the final, Kendall kept his job and that's where it all took off.

So, after all the times you gave me $hit for supporting other teams prior to Arsenal you now reveal yourself as a closet Oxford United fan?☺

Santi I go to football matches wherever I am.

One day I'll tell you about the day I went to the Gambian FA Cup semifinal with the Chief of Police.

I said I was at the game, not that I was an Oxford United supporter.

I don't particularly have any great memories of HK at City though I do remember we all considered we'd been badly let down by him when he left us.

I did love watching his title winning Everton teams. Can anybody remind of the 1st choice starting 11s for each of those 2 seasons.

rip mr kendall an excellent footballer and great manager, the team he put together in the mid 1980's was up there amongst the finest i've EVER seen but for some terrible fixture clogging imo would have won the double..

Edited by rijit

I remember all the publicity about him playing for Preston against West Ham in the 1964 FA Cup Final, he was 17 years old and at the time the youngest player ever in a Wembley final. As a young lad coming up to 12 years old and in the first year at Grammar School it seemed inconceivable to me that someone the same age as the prefects who were walloping my backside could be playing football at Wembley. He of course went on to have a fine career both as a player and a manager. Sad loss to the game at such a young age.

I don't particularly have any great memories of HK at City though I do remember we all considered we'd been badly let down by him when he left us.

I did love watching his title winning Everton teams. Can anybody remind of the 1st choice starting 11s for each of those 2 seasons.

No answer...hmm. Guessing then that there's no Evertonians on here. Shame, as I would have liked to ask also if *any of that great 1969/70 Championship team are still alive.

[Edit: *Joe Royle is still with us of course]

Edited by Bredbury Blue