Dog problem

ghworker2010

We live in a small city in Issan. Our house is in the middle of town and dogs are everywhere as one would expect. Yesterday afternoon I was taking my dog for a walk and had him on a lead. One of our employees was walking behind me carrying my baby and suddenly a dog runs out and bites her on the back of the thigh. It was lucky that my baby didnt get bitten. I took her to get rabies shots etc.

Tonight I was by myself and walked again past the same area with my dog and the dog came bolting out again to have a go at me. Its right next door to our house and lives under a shack that seems to be empty. I think that its a soi dog- the homeless variety.

Its a hard decision as to what I should do as Im mindful of the number 1 rule in thailand- dont intervene in anything. At our last house the wife and I went and spoke to a neighbour about his barking dog (2am every night). After making the complaint the guy gave me extremely unfriendly looks for 6 months. I dont want to fall out with my new neighbours in the same way.

I could let our rich thai/chinese landlord handle it. But there still could be consequences for me if they arrange for the dog to be killed or taken away. Its my understanding that my landlord is very well connected in the city where I live and thus he is the man for the job. I thought I would ask on this forum first before taking action.

Its annoying as I do like to take my baby for a walk every morning with my dog. I dont know what to do about this problem. Im not the type of person who would poison a dog. Any other suggestions?

thanks

my wife recommends reporting these incidents to the police so they can deal with the matter.

This would seen to be a sensible action to take.

I agree with Transam - always carry a stick with you and be prepared to use it on the offending dog.

When I went for walks in Ubon city or up at the farm I always carried a 1.5m thin bamboo stick. Just a light tap on the nose sends the dogs scurrying away. If not a hard swipe at the head solves the problem. None ever came back for seconds

Boil some chillies and black pepper in water, drain into a spray bottle or water pistol and hit the bugger in the eyes or on the nose with it, dogs are not stupid he will never come near you again, and it will hurt long enough for him to never forget

Couldn't wait to begin typing when I saw the title but it was such a disappointment as there is no controversy: mad dog; untrainable; death is the only option. If it had bitten my little girl I would have strangled it on the spot.

Thailand, in the name of Buddhism, cares nothing for these animals; it cares less for the countless hundreds (human) injured on the road annually. 50 years ago UK was like this. Thais being slow learners I expect a hundred years from now the problem will have disappeared.

When I went for walks in Ubon city or up at the farm I always carried a 1.5m thin bamboo stick. Just a light tap on the nose sends the dogs scurrying away. If not a hard swipe at the head solves the problem. None ever came back for seconds

He needs to get a hardwood handle available at every hardware shop. After purchase it needs to be cut to get the right balance.

A slap on the head with this item and the rest is history.

post-1136-0-18398300-1445157527_thumb.jp

Get a Stun Gun, Problem Solved, u don't have to stun it, they hear the noise , they run for the Hills, more discreet than a baseball bat,200 to 500 baht for one, I carry at all times in the palm of ur hand, I had 6 of them in Pattaya try to attack us, one buzz they all ran away, International Market in Nong Khai have many.

Edited by Nice Boyd

Get a Stun Gun, Problem Solved, u don't have to stun it, they hear the noise , they run for the Hills, more discreet than a baseball bat,200 to 500 baht for one, I carry at all times in the palm of ur hand, I had 6 of them in Pattaya try to attack us, one buzz they all ran away, International Market in Nong Khai have many.

Stun gun? what does it look like? How the hell do u ask for it in Thai or explain to Thai wife/partner how to ask for it in Thai?

Stun gun? what does it look like? How the hell do u ask for it in Thai or explain to Thai wife/partner how to ask for it in Thai?
some look like a flashlight with 2 functions and some are size of cigarette pack usually blk in color, they have prongs on the end, maybe ask for electricity gun, street sellers in Pattaya offer them, shops that sell lighters, imitation guns, BB have them, are u near udon or Nong Khai?

some look like a flashlight with 2 functions and some are size of cigarette pack usually blk in color, they have prongs on the end, maybe ask for electricity gun, street sellers in Pattaya offer them, shops that sell lighters, imitation guns, BB have them, are u near udon or Nong Khai?

Im in Nakhon Phanom now but going to Udon very soon....If u know where to buy in Udon that would be good.

Im in Nakhon Phanom now but going to Udon very soon....If u know where to buy in Udon that would be good.
il check night market tonite, in Udon, I know they have in NK, il let u know, I leave Udon Thurs. Morning

il check night market tonite, in Udon, I know they have in NK, il let u know, I leave Udon Thurs. Morning

That would be great.....Thanks. If no luck there then a photo of the one u have would be useful.

• 3 months later...

I think the best method is a squirt bottle filled with household ammonia. You just need to squirt a shot of it in front of the dog and his sensitive nose will stop him quickly. I have never had to actually squirt the dog. You don't want to injure or blind the dog.