bicycle cargo trailer - i.e., the kind that's pulled behind the bicycle

john_bkk919

(as opposed to a trailer for transporting bicycles)

post-22512-0-88415000-1445108452_thumb.j

This Topeak is exactly what I'm looking for. Want to ride my mtb to Muang Mai market [Chiang Mai] early am, stock up on fruit, ride back.

Any leads on where to buy one in CM? One reason I like this model is the narrow profile with the single wheel. Easy in traffic and easy to deal with at the house.

I've seen some DIY type contraptions around town of course but I'm hoping I won't have to resort to that.

Edited by john_bkk919

Sorry don't know.....

but wouldn't it easier with bags on the side of the bicycle (+maybe backpack)?

I am thinking about how much fruit you may need, on how crazy the traffic is and how to secure it.

My concern would be that some car/truck/motorbike oversees the trailer and drag you down with it.

Well, a week's worth of fruit let's say. :) So, 6-7 large papayas + 20-30 bananas + whatever else?

It's about a 20km round trip to Muang Mai for me and kind of an 'errand' type ride. I like to stock up (fruit shelf life permitting) and not go back that much.

The idea I had was that getting the weight off the bike and on to a trailer might preserve the bike's handling better. But yeah, somebody could overlook the low trailer and wreck me along with it, even at an early hour when the roads seem relatively safe and clear.

Maybe rack + panniers are a better solution as h90 suggested. I'd love to get a rack that cantilevers off the seat post and has a quick release but I know I'm dreaming now.

So who has touring stuff in CM?

Well, a week's worth of fruit let's say. smile.png So, 6-7 large papayas + 20-30 bananas + whatever else?

It's about a 20km round trip to Muang Mai for me and kind of an 'errand' type ride. I like to stock up (fruit shelf life permitting) and not go back that much.

The idea I had was that getting the weight off the bike and on to a trailer might preserve the bike's handling better. But yeah, somebody could overlook the low trailer and wreck me along with it, even at an early hour when the roads seem relatively safe and clear.

Maybe rack + panniers are a better solution as h90 suggested. I'd love to get a rack that cantilevers off the seat post and has a quick release but I know I'm dreaming now.

Well 6-7 Papayas+20-30 Bananas I would say backpack keeps the bike handling good. But it would need a real good one to be comfortable, but 20 km aren't that far.

Well, a week's worth of fruit let's say. :) So, 6-7 large papayas + 20-30 bananas + whatever else?

Such things exist, TopPeak make exactly such a thing, however the problem is the load you can put on that type of rack, only about 5-8Kg max, as otherwise it over stresses the seat post.

They are available in BKK, but don't know about CM sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h90 - these papaya are about the size of a 2L bottle. and then there's all the other fruit. i'm sure it could be backpacked somehow without messing it up too much or me falling off the bike when a scooter pulls out but for my ability level panniers seem the less challenging and more convenient option

moonoi - who has Topeak? only WorldBike, or do other shops stock it?

Worldbike is the importer and where I got mine from a couple of years ago, but I've seen Icon Bike sell topeak as well, but nowhere near the same range, and don't remember if they carried the quick release racks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h90 - these papaya are about the size of a 2L bottle. and then there's all the other fruit. i'm sure it could be backpacked somehow without messing it up too much or me falling off the bike when a scooter pulls out but for my ability level panniers seem the less challenging and more convenient option

moonoi - who has Topeak? only WorldBike, or do other shops stock it?

w00t.gif

OK that is too much.....I somehow had some mango sized fruit in my mind when posting......

so forget about backpack only...

Headland and Delta also make high quality racks that bolt on to the seatpost. I believe my Headland rack is rated to 20 kgs but it requires that the seatpost be removed every time you want to install or remove the rack.

I also have the Delta Mega Rack Porter:

http://deltacycle.com/racks-and-bags/bolt-on-seatpost-bike-rack-with-pannier-support

It uses a four-bolt clamp on the seat. On and off in about a minute, rated to 25 pounds.

Unfortunately I have no idea if Headland or Delta is available in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...