Boarder-run and visa-run from Phi Phi?

Bigboy1989

Hello all Thaivisa members,

I'm planning to move to phi phi island to live with my thai girlfriend ,

rent a shop together and live for a while and if all goes good maybe continue with marriage.

Is there any foreigners here that live in phi phi? (many help is needed to understand things)

and does anyone is doing a visa-run or boarder-run from phi phi?

because I was suggested to start with a triple entry visa and extend each 1 by 30 days so it gives me like 9 months with 2 times boarder-runs.

is someone already doing it and can help with some info please?

and maybe also some info about living in the island and etc?

I know I cannot work without a work permit but if we open a shop together maybe we can put a worker there ( i will be just the one who helps with the money , not working in the shop).

Thanks a lot for the helpers !

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good luck starting a bussiness on phi phi i would think you may run into a few problems with that.

the visa is correct triple entry tourist visa can either go ranong or malaysia to hop over the border and get a new 60day stamp,

And may I ask why you think like that please ?

in one word...CORRUPTION,if you girlfriend is not a local on phi phi you are gonna get nothing but a headache from a business there it a small island controlled by a chosen few,not everything is as it seems.

really ??

even if its a rent shop and we not own the shop ?

yep really ,paying the rent and getting the shop is not the problem.its when you start making profit and others notice that its a westerner fronting the business, thats when your headaches may start.

All the island fiefdoms of Thailand are notorious for heavily entrenched and officially condoned corruption. If the OP's girlfriend isn't local to the island, it will be even more difficult to survive. Backhanders and pay-offs are more endemic than the classic rip-off.

More notable for the OP is the tightened southern border Thai Immigration scrutiny of 'visa runners', even those with absolutely no links to any business and those with rather tenuous long-term stays on Tourist visas. If you enjoy being gamed and extra hassle to justify your presence and/or re-entry, knock yourself out.

The OP would be better to try this 'joint venture' enterprise in the girlfriends home town/province IMHO. Guaranteed to be cheaper and less worrisome than setting up shop on any of the country's over-rated and expensive islands.

in one word...CORRUPTION,if you girlfriend is not a local on phi phi you are gonna get nothing but a headache from a business there it a small island controlled by a chosen few,not everything is as it seems.

really ??

even if its a rent shop and we not own the shop ?

Even worse renting, they have you by the balls.

Tried something similar on Samui back in 2004/5, needless to say, soon found out the hard way how they view "outsiders".

Good luck though if you do it

I think that just helping with the money if you are handling it in the shop is considered "working" - - but probably not a good idea for reasons mentioned above. If it were a good idea, there would be plenty of people seeking a lifestyle in paradise...

good luck.

You obviously know nothing of Thailand. I would recommend going immediately to South America and starting over. Get out of thailand. You will regret trying to do business here!

Not sure you can say that about all of Thailand. Certainly it's as level a playing field as you will find anywhere in a 3rd world country. South America ... Brazil, Columbia, Venezuela? You wouldn't last a month as a foreigner.

I decided to learn kiteboarding and start a kiteboarding business on koh phi phi about 10 years ago but I ended up opening up in pattyay instead. a friend of mine ended up setting up on koh phi phi, and I went down to help him. is tricky on the islands as it is not just a matter of paying the cops a fee. it is a family who runs (and probably owns) the island. I don't like to be negative but what you are planning to do is very very difficult as you will be competing against people who are very well set up on the island already. best of luck to you if you do try, let us know how you get on.

all is the same as in for example Europe.

If you not come from the area you have less success to survive.

You are import and will be treated like import. you are foreigner and your girlfriend is not local.

you both are not ware of the local habit and customs. all ingredients to have a short (business) live.

Unless you have an unlimited savings account. and with that kind of account you not even think about thins kind of thing. Be wise and think more than twice about doing things like you want to do.

I especially like the question : 'are there any foreigners living on Phi Phi' .... These days Phi Phi is packed with foreigners, being bar owners, diving instructors etc. Not exactly the most virgin place around anymore. Phi Phi has been over crowded already since 15 years, especially after ' The Beach' movie.. Did not like it back then already, and now it's even more crowded. Sure, these foreigners also survived all these years, but now it would be kinda late to start any new bizniz there. Enough reasons stated above :) just like Koh Tao, Samui etc. If you can, find another place, stick to a quiet area in mainland Krabi instead, or something... Good luck

"taninthai"

Spot on.... Taninthai

as already said. corruption is a major problem, be carefull there you're walking on eggs. realize that before you start your buzz over there. thai people on the island hates competition, and they would do anything to get you out if they want to.

do not waste your precious time, have a long trip to PP instead to learn better about the place. The island is not what it looks like.

Archived