Boarder-run and visa-run from Phi Phi?

Bigboy1989

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time in Phi Phi I had to take a long tail. No other boats going there. There were bungalows mostly. I wanted to take a shower and went to the shower area and many girls and guys naked in a circle surrounded by a tarp with a well in the middle and a bucket. It was a shock for me but boy was it nice to see all these naked girls from all over the world and not caring, just bathing. I feel really old now and a little depressed that there is no place left like this, maybe on the earth.

The first time in Phi Phi I had to take a long tail. No other boats going there. There were bungalows mostly. I wanted to take a shower and went to the shower area and many girls and guys naked in a circle surrounded by a tarp with a well in the middle and a bucket. It was a shock for me but boy was it nice to see all these naked girls from all over the world and not caring, just bathing. I feel really old now and a little depressed that there is no place left like this, maybe on the earth.[/size]

phi phi certainly had a different feeling when I started going there many years ago. it is so built up now it is amazing. what little septic system there is seems to be tainting what little ground water there is. I stayed in a decent hotel there a couple years and the water had a distinctive rotten egg smell. a great party place for the party boppers but I don't think I will go there again. pattaya now more my style.

My first question is: Where did you meet your Thai girlfriend that speaks English? Big problem #1 Koh Phi Phi. Big problem #2 I bet you do not speak a single word of Thai. Big problem #3 Opening shop with a Thai woman you barely know. Big problem #4 Getting married. #5 EVERYTHING. Sorry to tell you the raw truth but you sound like a common newbie that is about to get taken to the cleaners like thousands maybe millions before you. But hey go ahead and don,t listen. In less than a year you will be asking us how to save your ass from the Thais.

My first question is: Where did you meet your Thai girlfriend that speaks English? Big problem #1 Koh Phi Phi. Big problem #2 I bet you do not speak a single word of Thai. Big problem #3 Opening shop with a Thai woman you barely know. Big problem #4 Getting married. #5 EVERYTHING. Sorry to tell you the raw truth but you sound like a common newbie that is about to get taken to the cleaners like thousands maybe millions before you. But hey go ahead and don,t listen. In less than a year you will be asking us how to save your ass from the Thais.

plus one on this post. brutally honest but best to be said.

Yeah I am here, read all the answers and here is my :

My girlfriend has already a shop in phi phi more than 1 year.

I met her there at the beach.

I know to speak thai language enough to understand and make myself understood by others.

I asked her about the problems you mentioned and she first got angry and she said that she doesnt know anything about this, and that there are many nepals that own shops and etc.

So now I think about this method:

Going to visit her for 2 weeks and learn the field,

If it will look like we cannot do it (of course I will Ask the other not locals people about everything, even about the payment to the police as she said) then we dont, and if it looks like we can so we will.

What you think?

^ Good answer BB...

If at all possible , stay there for months rather than weeks before you do anything.

Your girlfriend getting "angry" about your questions is a rather odd response , isnt it?

That is unless she is a Phi Phi Islander who is offended by her island having a very bad name for intrigue and corruption ( which it has )

So if she is a Phi Phi local , or a South Thai from nearby , your plan has a better chance.

How much money does she want you to put in or is she doing the shop from the money she saved from the last shop ?

^ Good answer BB...

If at all possible , stay there for months rather than weeks before you do anything.

Your girlfriend getting "angry" about your questions is a rather odd response , isnt it?

That is unless she is a Phi Phi Islander who is offended by her island having a very bad name for intrigue and corruption ( which it has )

So if she is a Phi Phi local , or a South Thai from nearby , your plan has a better chance.

How much money does she want you to put in or is she doing the shop from the money she saved from the last shop ?

Hey haha thanks for your reply.

She got angry not because I ask , because I told her about what the people here say , and she got angry because she knows the others scams and doesnt believe it in phi phi ( or she not like this anyway).

the plan is to visit her for 2 weeks and learn the field.

then work for more 10 months or something and come again to live with her for 1 month or more then consider openning.

she didn't ask any money yet , she said she will save money from her shop for 1 year too.(so I think she thinks we will be doing 50% 50%).

she originaly from satun. she had a shop in koh tao for some years and moved to phi phi because fighting with friends.

in phi phi the shop she has is small and close to her sister's shop that is bigger than her's.

and what about the boredom she working 16 hours a day and what you going to do all dy every day yes its a wonderfull dream but phi phi is not what a call exciting and full of life just go there for a couple month see how it feels i think your be glad to leave and go and who wants the shop you or her mmm let me think has she had shop before and have you do you know about running it

yep really ,paying the rent and getting the shop is not the problem.its when you start making profit and others notice that its a westerner fronting the business, thats when your headaches may start.

Good insight,...it's exactly the same on Koh Samui....

Regards,.

She also got angry more because she say:

"My sister live here 10 years , i am here for more then 1 year, i have many friends here, you can come look first and think , you are not stupid, and even if you dont trust me you can open alone and if need help i will help you get a worker, not me if you dont want"

Making me feel so ashamed that I brang up the issue to her... What is your opinion guys?

Ask her who was the naive falang who set her up in the first shop. Ask if he was from the same country as the one who bank rolled her sister.

Her sister is married for more than 10 years, and for the 1st shop you asked me to ask who is the naive falang: she opened the shop alone after she had a shop for 5 years in koh tao, she learned in college, and worked in mall of other city as well, she doesnt own the shop in phi phi, just paying rent each month

You really all believe that cant be 1 good story from Thailand?

I think the more information you have now offered was needed at the start.

A sister there in PP for 10 years with a large shop ( owned ? or an employee ? ) already changes things.

As does the information that you arent rushing ahead after 2 weeks visiting ...thats good - as is the fact she will go in 50:50 ( if you are sure about that ? )

It has good possibilities , particularly as she is South Thai with many shared language and cultural traits as the islanders - but you should think about what you would lose if you split with her after investing in the shop, as cross cultural relationships face many more obstacles than other relationships.

I think the more information you have now offered was needed at the start.

A sister there in PP for 10 years with a large shop ( owned ? or an employee ? ) already changes things.

As does the information that you arent rushing ahead after 2 weeks visiting ...thats good - as is the fact she will go in 50:50 ( if you are sure about that ? )

It has good possibilities , particularly as she is South Thai with many shared language and cultural traits as the islanders - but you should think about what you would lose if you split with her after investing in the shop, as cross cultural relationships face many more obstacles than other relationships.

Her sister not own the shop and not work in, she rent the place and sell things with her husband

And yes of course i take all the info from here in a good way of thinking and want to help , and its also make me think more clear.

I will go visit her in february for 2 weeks as I said.

And then continue to save money and after maybe 1 year will go to live with her for some months then consider open it.

Thanks to all!

To be honest it can work ,I did the same as op when I was 33,met a girl with a bussiness already set up,then no I put 700 GBP into the bussiness in the first year,we then ran it for 5 years living of the profits was never gonna get rich but it was more about the lifestyle.

Anyway after 5 years got bored low season is a killer when your younger,split with the Thai wife and decided 6 months Thailand 6 months UK is better for me until I get a little older.

Don't jump in head first op and do not invest all your money.

Her sister had a shop on Koh Tao? Believe me she knows all about local mafia then and possibly why she got angry because you were getting close to the truth.

Ask her what she knows about the murders on KT in September 2014. Her answer may reveal a lot.

"My sister live here 10 years , i am here for more then 1 year, i have many friends here, you can come look first and think , you are not stupid, and even if you dont trust me you can open alone and if need help i will help you get a worker, not me if you dont want"

Making me feel so ashamed that I brang up the issue to her... What is your opinion guys?

It would have really helped if in your original opening post you had included the information that you met her on Phi Phi and that she and her sister already live there with shops.

You made it sound like she was a girl you'd met in Bangkok or Pattaya and you were both just heading to Phi Phi to try your luck.

I would still advise you to be extremely cautious, but at least she has some insider protection.

It would have really helped if in your original opening post you had included the information that you met her on Phi Phi and that she and her sister already live there with shops.

You made it sound like she was a girl you'd met in Bangkok or Pattaya and you were both just heading to Phi Phi to try your luck.

I would still advise you to be extremely cautious, but at least she has some insider protection.

Sorry for misleading,

Thanks for your reply and your good vibes ;)

Yeah I am here, read all the answers and here is my :

My girlfriend has already a shop in phi phi more than 1 year.

I met her there at the beach.

I know to speak thai language enough to understand and make myself understood by others.

I asked her about the problems you mentioned and she first got angry and she said that she doesnt know anything about this, and that there are many nepals that own shops and etc.

So now I think about this method:

Going to visit her for 2 weeks and learn the field,

If it will look like we cannot do it (of course I will Ask the other not locals people about everything, even about the payment to the police as she said) then we dont, and if it looks like we can so we will.

What you think?

How long have you known your GF? How long have you been together? How long have you lived in Thailand? How and where did you meet each other?

I hate to agree with the other comments here, but sir, sincerely, you are making a very big mistake. BEWARE...do not just automatically trust your Thai GF...they can be very cunning. Many foreign men have been in the exact situation you are in now and lost everything and many of them end up committing suicide. That's why you are getting the warnings from others here....it's because they care and hate to see another guy lose everything because 'love/lust is blind' If you have to put money into this venture, don't expect to see that money again. There is a high chance you won't. If anything, take your time, don't let your GF push you or manipulate you. You may think everything is fine now between you two, but if your relationship has any problems in the future, you're screwed. Yes, of course there are guys with good, healthy relationships in Thailand, and i'm sure there are some good honest and loving Thai women, however, the fact is, there are a lot of golddiggers and parasites in Thailand( yes, and in other countries) who have no scruples.

that feels not right. seriously.

Archived