Hypothetical Vehicle Insurance Question...?

Mumbo Jumbo

If A Farang Drives his girl friend’s vehicle while only having a UK Driving License and he’s involved in an accident , ( The vehicle insurance is in the girl Friends name ) due to the fact that the Farang who was driving at the time did not have a ‘Thai Driving License ‘ would the insurance company then consider the vehicle insurance to be Null and Void ..?

Thanks ............. Mumbo

Thai vehicle insurance is on the vehicle not the driver. If the driver has permission to drive from the owner AND the correct driving documents s/he is insured.

However, the requirement in the case you give with respect to driving documents is either a Thai driver's license or a foreign driver's license + an international driver's permit.

There are a couple of exceptions to this, ie a Singapore License would be acceptable without the international driver's permit.

So in the case you give, you would not be insured. You would also be liable to prosecution for driving without a license.

Thanks Guy's ..So if the Farang already has a valid UK driving License

and then applys for an International Driving permit and he shows the insurance company the two driving licenses together , that should

cover him from invalidating the vehicle insurance in the case of him being involved in an accident while driving his girl friends vechicle....?

Thanks ..... Mumbo

Strictly speaking it won't work, because the date of the IDP would be post accident date, and he should have had a valid IDP when driving the car.

However, it is at least possible, that the insurers may not notice the date on the IDP - it may be worth a try, but it would be illegal.

Thanks ....Mobi D'Ark

I am just wondering what would happen even if you did have

both the UK DL & an IDP together, would the vehicle insurance Company jump on the fact that the Driver at the time of an

accident did not have a Thai driving License , as a way out of getting out of settling any claims on the policy ( did you not see... section 47B/23u76 in small print on the policy ) all drivers of this vechicle must have a valid Thai driving license ..?

The reason ive asked this question is I know many Farang friends who only have UK driving Licenes, ( no IDP ) and drive their friends vechicles .....

and think its OK ........... ?

but as we all know it's alway's Ok until the Sh1t hits the Thai fan .

Thanks ........ Mumbo

Thai insurance companies are notorious for denying claims for just about any reason.

My Thai friend (who had first class insurance with one of Thailand's largest companies, perhaps even the largest) had a claim denied for a new radiator after it was destroyed from smashing into a soi dog.

Reason for denial:

He failed to submit the dead dog's carcass as proof the dog was the cause of the radiator destruction. :o:D

It is legal to drive in Thailand with a foreign driving licence and a IDP. The IDP used to be only valid for 3 months from your arrival, and the RAC used to state this on their website, but in a recent thread soemone said that the 3 months restriction is no longer in force, and as I can no longer find that note on the web site, then maybe that is the case.

I suppose insurers can impose any conditions they like on the drivers, and if they state that the insurance is only valid if the driver holds a Thai licence, then that is that.

Some time ago, I used to rent a car, and the company told me that as long as I held an IDP the insurance was valid, and they used to inspect it and keep a copy.

This is why I always recommend that farngs get decent insurance - preferably from and international company - not a Thai company. It's no guarantee, but I'd rather be with AIG than "Khun Sirin's trusty, never known to pay a claim, Thai insurance company" any day of the week. :o

When all's said and done, before a farang drives someone else's vehicle , he should check with the insurance agent to see if his IDP is acceptable.

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

That is also my understanding - I believe that Guesthouse is absolutely correct. The missing docuent - an International Driving permit, would invalidate the insurance.

No it doesn't invalidate your insurance at all as I currently drive on a UK licence but it is true that you need an international for driving here legally.

I've been hit 3 times and used my UK without a problem and so I can 100% confirm that with my insurance company at least accepts it and it's never invalidated my claim.

However you will find that the police in BKK at least are more clued up on what an international lience looks like so instead of paying 50 baht I pay 100 but no big deal.

You may run into problems if its a serious accident such but you need to be careful, Ive already applied for my international licence and from there I can take it to get a Thai without taking the joke of a test they make you take otherwise.

Bottom line you can use your UK licence but it's strickly not legal but you insurance company will accept it!!

cheers

Thanks again for the replys,

I am just wondering how many farangs are driving their own vehicle

and their insurance policy states some where in it ,that in the event of a claim being made the driver of the vehicle has to have a valid Thai Driving licence or the policy becomes invalid..?

Ive must get the wife to read the fine print on my vehicle Policy...?

how many people really know if their vehicle insurance policy actually has a... Must have a Thai driving licence.... cluase in ....?

Do you know ....?

Thanks ...... Mumbo

I have a friend who used to borrow my Mitsubishi to drive down to Chiang Mai for shopping. My wife didn't like him driving it and pointed out that if he had an accident he would not be covered because he didn't have a Thai licence.

I checked and that was correct so I told him he had to get a proper licence, he tried but was not elegible because he was on a tourist visa. So no Thai licence, no borrow car...

My two cents worth would tend to corroborate the majority opinion here: D/L plus IDP will be accepted as being covered by insurance. Plus it's always better to have an IDP anyway;

I was pulled over for no particular reason and asked to show my license - - - I pulled out my Aussie D/L and the cop was about to fine me for not having an IDP . . . I then asked for my Aussie one back and gave him my Singapore D/L . . . he let me go . . . Bizarre.

I did alot of research on this very subject when first coming here. My g/f and me looked at the best insurance providers and only first class insurance and found two things to be true. One is that almost every provider puts a clause in their small print that says that they won’t cover a driver with an international driver’s license, that it MUST be a Thai driver’s license. When asked in general conversation I was told no problem. When I confronted them with the small print clause that’s when it turned interesting. They said that no they would not cover me if it we SAID it was me driving, they said all we had to do is LIE about who was driving EVEN if I was driving alone and we would be covered. NICE.. This was of course not acceptable and I was living in fear of running over one of the maniac motorcycle drivers that are cutting in and out of traffic. What was worse was ...everyone was telling me I could not get a Thai drivers license as a tourist. WRONG ... it’s very easy to get a Thai drivers license in Thailand. Which is what I did and now drive like I live here.. Motorcycle nut jobs beware.

All you need is a document you can get from your consulate called a certificate of residency and it costs 1200 baht. There is no restriction in getting one. All you do is go in and raise your right hand and say the information on the document (address in Thailand) is true and you’re done. Go to the Thai DMV and get your license. EASY!

Ive just been talking to a friend about this Thai Driving License

subject, and he asked me if my vehicle insurance included a

'' Bail Bond '' which would be paid by the insurance company to

gain my release from arrest and imprisonment if involved in an

accident , I said ..I don't know..? I will have to check.

is this '' Bail Bond '' clause normal in a Thai Vechicle insurance policy..?

Does your policy have this clause..?

Thanks ............ Mumbo

Thai insurance companies are notorious for denying claims for just about any reason.

My Thai friend (who had first class insurance with one of Thailand's largest companies, perhaps even the largest) had a claim denied for a new radiator after it was destroyed from smashing into a soi dog.

Reason for denial:

He failed to submit the dead dog's carcass as proof the dog was the cause of the radiator destruction. :o:D

It is always a good plan to call the insurance company's local assessor when ever you have an accident.

He will deal with locals, police and take photos, then there is no need to "submit the dog's carcass". :D

Reason for denial:

It is always a good plan to call the insurance company's local assessor when ever you have an accident.

He will deal with locals, police and take photos, then there is no need to "submit the dog's carcass". :D

Being an educated Thai, I'm sure he knew that standard protocol, and can only imagine that he veered from it as he figured it was a cut and dry case.

I told him I'd go back to the radiator shop and obtain the biggest, bloodiest, nastiest chunks of flesh and matted fur from the radiator grill... and deliver them to the assesor's desk.

I've never seen him get upset about anything before, but being denied the claim he submitted did the trick and got him pissed off.

The basic rule, the driver must have a valid licence.

For a visitor this can be local licence accompanied by an IDP (Intern. Driving Permit)

Thailand btw, is not a signatory to all the IDP-agrements, but I let that aside for the moment.

It can as well be a licence issued in Singapore, Malaysia or Laos. These three countries (as many others) do issue licences to foreigners who are living there.

Could be a bit tricky, if you are from let's say Europe but have a Singapore - licence.

The rental companies have different insurance-coverage basically covering any damage by a driver who rented the car as long a valid licence was presented.

As said, valid licences are IDP (with national licence), above 3 countries and Thai licence.

And I do make a big difference from what the policeman on the street accepts and the actual laws.

Some more things come to my mind, a US-licence, I believe, you can always apply for even if you do not live there as US-citizen.

Not so in Europe, by the books of law your licence is only valid as long as you physically live in the country.

For ex, I had a Swiss licence and one was stopped for a minor incident, stupid me showed the Swiss one > confiscated since I no longer live in Switzerland although the licence was valid for life time.

Before that I went in Zurich myself to the motor car registration office to change the old paper form to a new one. "No problem Sir, but I need your (Swiss) registration card." This could be Swiss ID for nationals or ID for foreigners living in Switzerland.

I have a German one, valid for life time, however, the form changed frompaper to plasitc card. Tried to get the new form, next to impossible because the issuing authority will check the address. If you are not registered there, no new licence form.

I have a Hong Kong-licence, no problem, BUT always have to show a (my) Hong Kong address.

Once they did call the phone number I gave, which was my local office to check ifr I 'live' there.