Tourist Visa, Proof of Residency

At this time last year, to renew my retirement extention it was necessary for my wife to complete a statement that I was residing on her property. Blue book and ID cards were produced in support.

Today, I went to renew again only to discover that my registered address in the computer had been changed to Buhmrungrad Hospital Bangkok because I stayed there for one night in July this year. The address was changed by the hospital on my admittance without my knowledge. Since that date I've made one 90 day report and one re-entry via Suvanaboom. Now I must go through the registration procedure again and probably lose another day of my dwindling life. How bizzare is that when a hospital can make the change, presumably on-line but I must go throough the paper chase again.

Similar happened to me. I stayed one night at a little g.h. months ago, and somehow that address got entangled in my data stream. I'm single, so I don't have a Thai wife to go and jump through hoops on my behalf. Getting annual extensions on my type-O non-Imm (I'm over 49, retired) visa has just been a minor hassle and expense during the previous 10 years here. This time it's become a major hassle. I'm getting the visa I want, but the bureaucratic morass I've had to wade through is ridiculous on several levels. Here's just one: I went and got the letter from my bank (3rd time for this one renewal, because of time-outs on the 7 day requirement). An hour later, I get to Imm Office. they say my bankbook wasn't updated at the same time. I say "here's my letter from the bank, it's an hour old." Of course Imm doesn't budge. So I go back to the bank. 3 bank managers tell me (like a Greek chorus) that my bank book was updated when I came in an hour earlier. I'm exasperated. The bank decide to print me a new passbook.

As crazy as that was, it's wasn't the nuttiest episode of my recent visa renewal process. I could elaborate, but it would take too much text. In sum: good luck to all my farang brethren trying to renew visas. the processes just got increasingly nutzoid since the Erawan bombing (Bkk generals are mega paranoid and are determined to make life harder for farang residents). You may have it easy, or it may be difficult (like mine), but good luck.

At this time last year, to renew my retirement extention it was necessary for my wife to complete a statement that I was residing on her property. Blue book and ID cards were produced in support.

Today, I went to renew again only to discover that my registered address in the computer had been changed to Buhmrungrad Hospital Bangkok because I stayed there for one night in July this year. The address was changed by the hospital on my admittance without my knowledge. Since that date I've made one 90 day report and one re-entry via Suvanaboom. Now I must go through the registration procedure again and probably lose another day of my dwindling life. How bizzare is that when a hospital can make the change, presumably on-line but I must go throough the paper chase again.

The hospital reported your presence in accordance with Thai law, so no need to notify you- same as checking into an hotel.

When you returned home, your wife should have filed the requisite form with immigration/ police as required, thus returning your address to your residence.

TBL, you're apprised of the visa laws, but that doesn't mean the laws aren't screwy to the 10th degree. A wife having to formally register her husband as residing in their house?!? ....and then re-register each time he comes back from staying at a hotel for a night. I wonder if N.Korea is as draconian.

You and I know first hand how nutzoid the whole thing is, but because some posters have no problem they accuse me of being paranoid. No doubt their turn will come.

• Like 1

Update-

My condo management people wrote me some letter, saying I arrived yesterday, even though I've been here over a year. They took a scan of my passport..

I went to Pattaya immigration, and nobody even read the letter or spoke one word to me.

Was in and out with a 30 day extension to my tourist visa in literally 10 minutes..

Not sure why, but when I got my number to queue, I was called immediately even through there were 100+ people waiting.

And I saw two Nigerian guys trying to extend their visas, and they were wearing tuxedos.

Just went today to Jomtien immigration 10 am. My extension due today. Brought all forms and

photo copies needed that I had required before. I was handed a second two page form requesting

information that is already included and they already have. As I am leasing a condo I filled it in

myself and signed. Went back and that is when I was told they wanted proof of address of where

I was staying. They pointed to a LK Hotel form letter with address. I asked if my lease agreement

which contains the full address would be OK as I was not staying in a hotel. They said yes but

did not sound so sure. So home I went, grabbed me lease but also stopped by the condo Juristic

office. They told me my lease would not meet the requirement. They did photo copy my lease

and knock up a letter for me. Not so happy as they normally would like 3 days notice but they did

it in 20 minutes. They were helpful. By now it was lunch so I returned in the afternoon after stopping

for extra photocopies of my lease and condo Juristic confirmation letter. When I returned to the

entrance screening desk presenting all paperwork my lease alone which contained my address

was enough proof and I was sent upstairs to get the immigration confirmation stamp for receipt

of paperwork. ( they wanted two copies, of my lease, which I had. They signed off and gave me

my receipt. (Which I then had to photocopy for the downstairs staff. Once that was done I was

given my number. From that moment it took 3 minutes to had in my paperwork (my number

was up) pay my 1,900 baht and have my passport and receipt handed to me.

If you had a computer and printer you could knock up your own letter with little effort. Print up

your full proper address (as it appears on you mail) and print on some letter head and you are

done. Your address confirmation slip is good for the time you are at that address so you will

not have to go through these hoops again unless you stay somewhere else and it is reported

and the information changes so get extra photo copies of that slip you get from the second floor.

Best of luck. thumbsup.gif

Could you tell which immigration office this happened?

Thanks

Pattaya.

I've done the extension multiple times in Bangkok, and I'd just write down my address and nobody said anything.

But in Pattaya there is some form they gave me which I need to have filled out, to prove where I live.. and the form doesn't make sense to me.

The form is not your responsibility. That lies with the owner of wherever you are living.

One would think this to be the case, but apparently it is also the responsibility of the occupier if the owner hasn't complied. In my case my landlord hasn't complied, so it's now my responsibility.

Now it would seem that I have to be concerned about hotels changing my official residence when I go to Bangkok for a day or two.

That is an not a normal occurrence. Not sure how your permanent address got changed to the hospital from them reporting your presence. Those records are kept separately form the one they use when you do extension.

I have checked into hotels that have reported my presence and not had a problem when I applied for my extensions.

I've never had a problem either - last extension in July, but apparently they are becoming more computerized now, so perhaps this is a new thing (to worry about). As I now report by just handing over my passport without any documents, indicating it's all on the computer data base, a night's stay at a hotel or hospital may change the info, which will need to be re-changed before applying for an extension.

what happens if you are the condo owner and have a yellow tabian bahn book ? Do you register yourself ? I've never been asked to prove address before even after staying in a hotel here but my 90 days is coming up

and everytime I go to stay in a hotel here I have to re-register myself ?

Logic would say I don't have to register myself but take my tabien bahn book with ... but :-)

As a tenant, I would submit the form TM.30 in my name as the house master and under my signature highlight, underline or encircle the word “POSSESSOR”. Together with the form, I would submit a letter, addressed to “The competent officer, xxx immigration office”, with a text something like this:
C E R T I F I C A T I O N
I, the undersigned, [my name], hereby certify and confirm that I am the house master as defined in Section 4 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 of the apartment number [number] at [address as in TM.30], ie I am the chief possessor of said residence in my capacity as its tenant, in witness whereof I enclose a copy of the lease agreement for the said apartment.
For good measure, I would give a good and legal-sounding Thai translation on the reverse side of the letter. Fight bureaucratic nonsense with the bureaucrats' own weapon: legalistic and bureaucratic gobbledygook.
For reference:
  • Like 2

Thanks

Pattaya.

I've done the extension multiple times in Bangkok, and I'd just write down my address and nobody said anything.

But in Pattaya there is some form they gave me which I need to have filled out, to prove where I live.. and the form doesn't make sense to me.

The form is not your responsibility. That lies with the owner of wherever you are living.

One would think this to be the case, but apparently it is also the responsibility of the occupier if the owner hasn't complied. In my case my landlord hasn't complied, so it's now my responsibility.

Now it would seem that I have to be concerned about hotels changing my official residence when I go to Bangkok for a day or two.

Due to all the conflicting information on here I no longer know what is correct or not. However, given that it costs me nothing, I shall be submitting the official form whenever I have been away and stayed at an hotel, or hospital, JUST IN CASE. If my wife is with me I shall let her do the check in, so they can't change any of my details in that situation, even by mistake on some official's part.

staying in a hotel for one night is not a change of residence , how they dare to change your residence address without informing you.

hotels are not residence.

THEY are not changing your residence. THEY are complying with Thai law to notify the authorities when an alien stays with them.

However, your place of residence may be changed in Immigration by an error, or by faulty software- who knows these days when everything is computerised- garbage in, garbage out.

Thanks

Pattaya.

If the owner is able to comply, but refuses, they can be fined for not doing so. If the owner is unable, or absent, I guess you have a problem. Perhaps do what someone else suggested and get a letter from local police station.

• Like 1

staying in a hotel for one night is not a change of residence , how they dare to change your residence address without informing you. hotels are not residence.

It depends on which Imm office you go in, and the mood of the official, and what directive came in from Bangkok that day. Thai imm offices throughout thailand are in disarray. They already had screwy rules to adhere to even before the Erawan bombings. Now the rules are even more screwy and subjectively administered.

For the past 10 yrs I've gotten annual Type-O renewals with only slight hassles. This September, I was turned down on a tiny technicality (too much to articulate here). I left and returned from the US (already had a plane ticket). Since then, I've been to two Imm offices 1.5 hours apart back and forth a half dozen times. I keep getting mixed messages. I'm getting my visa, but it's a long haul with many hoops to jump through which weren't there in prior years.

I'm also a landlord (separate issue) and am trying valiantly to try and comply with the legal gordian knots that Thai officialdom puts up. Again, it's so complicated that it would take a small book of text in small font to even begin to explain. And I still haven't figured out how to comply, and I'm not a dummy (scored around 150 in IQ tests in younger years).

Sorry to say, things are going from bad to worse in the Thai Visa dept. Many resident farang have already split the country, some are planning to (myself included), and many resident farang will feel compelled to do so when they next have to try negotiating the rats nest of dumbass regulations put forth by Thai Immigration.

• Like 2

I went to the local police station, and an officer called the condo to assure that I lived there. The police then sent me a letter, and I used that at Immigration. Pretty darn simple.

Where did this happen ?

Same...... (Roi Et).

First day in Thailand I purchased a motorcycle using a 'Certificate of Residence' issued by the local Police Station.

Second day I used the same to get my Thai DL's.

I used it again for my first extension at Amnat as proof of residence.

Amphurs will also issue letters confirming residence.

Once I received my first extension, I applied for a Tabian Baan.

Use that as proof of residence for everything now.

whistling.gif This law has been in effect for many years, but it has not been enforced in many areas.

Foreigners living in a residence with a Thai house owner must be reported if they stay 24 hours or more in that house.

But as I say, many house owners have not reported them and for a long time nobody in many areas bothered to worry about it.

After the Bangkok bombings, the authorities are taking notice of this law now.

I went to the local police station, and an officer called the condo to assure that I lived there. The police then sent me a letter, and I used that at Immigration. Pretty darn simple.

Where did this happen ?

Same......(Roi Et).

First day in Thailand I purchased a motorcycle using a 'Certificate of Residence' issued by the local Police Station. Second day I used the same to get my Thai DL's.

I used it again for my first extension at Amnat as proof of residence. Amphurs will also issue letters confirming residence.

Once I received my first extension, I applied for a Tabian Baan.

Use that as proof of residence for everything now.

Just because something worked for one person doesn't mean it's not a problem for some others.

I used to have property in California which was overgrown with poison oak. I could pull it out by the roots with no problems. Friends of mine got skin rashes just touching a leaf.

If the owner is able to comply, but refuses, they can be fined for not doing so. If the owner is unable, or absent, I guess you have a problem. Perhaps do what someone else suggested and get a letter from local police station.

If the owner is not the house master, he has no legal obligation to submit the form TM.30.

On this subject, please-I'm on a 60 day TV looking to get a 30 day extension

I have an expired lease, in Thai and an absent landlord with no way to contact him.

I have a DL with the address, but an old passport number. (Not wanting to go down that separate hassle road update to but will consider it as option )

Can I go to the police station and get what I need as far as residence verification?

and/ or Do I need a TM 30 form? And/ or if so , can I fill it out ? Will I have a hassle about the expired date.

Maybe just pen in a new date and forge the signature which is just a scribble. I do have the owner ID and house book copies

Thank you

With the form TM.30, immigration asks the house master ie "any persons who is the chief possessor of a house, whether in the capacity of owner, tenant, or in any other capacity whatsoever, in accordance with the law on people act" to notify only the arrival of a foreigner, not also his departure. It is going to be interesting to see how this stricter enforcement of of this notification requirement for house masters of private residences will play out.

So I'm the house master as I lease the house? Oh dear, 4 years and never made such a report, I thought the adress I entered on the arrival form was sufficient.

What do do? Now I'm on my first tourist entry wanting to make a 30 day extension I'm still at same address.

Its a nightmare. I'm currently doing the same. Every re entry you do, you realise, you're going to need to notify them AGAIN. For EVERY re entry. They don't make it particularly clear but they clarified that with me today. Seems crazy to me but there we go. Rules are rules ...

Its a nightmare. I'm currently doing the same. Every re entry you do, you realise, you're going to need to notify them AGAIN. For EVERY re entry. They don't make it particularly clear but they clarified that with me today. Seems crazy to me but there we go. Rules are rules ...

It depends upon where you are staying and reporting to.

If staying at the same address at some offices you only need to report once and then can show the receipt for that report. Others will say you need to do a new report for every trip into the country.

If you are staying at a hotel, guest house, apartment and etc that does the reports you do not need to worry about the reports.

If staying at the same address at some offices you only need to report once and then can show the receipt for that report. Others will say you need to do a new report for every trip into the country.

If you are staying at a hotel, guest house, apartment and etc that does the reports you do not need to worry about the reports.

ubonjoe what happens if you own a condo and have a yellow tabien bahn ? I have never done a TM30 on myself but recently re entered from Singapore. Am I going to have a problem next time I do my 90 day ?

ubonjoe what happens if you own a condo and have a yellow tabien bahn ? I have never done a TM30 on myself but recently re entered from Singapore. Am I going to have a problem next time I do my 90 day ?

You should not have a problem doing your 90 day report.

They might ask for it when you do your next extension of stay application.

Phuket immigration will want this form completed and singed.

Thank you very much, helpful as always.

As the owner is out of the country, not responding to emails can I fill this out as " housemaster " ?

As apparently I've never had a TM 30 filled out, just never got done is it wise to let them on to it- why create a situation they may check? I can see a nightmare situation of years of daily fines

So I'm thinking a copy of the lease will be oK as this is for a tourist visa extension. I'm on a new passport so might get away with it.

Also have read elsewhere something about registering at police station? Is this an option?