where is a good place to improve a 2014 Fortuner 3.0 (suspension, ecu and maybe Breakes)

MoD1977

Hello,

I'm looking for a good garage in Pattaya or Bangkok.

The most important part is the suspension.

I need a better ride onroad (offroad is not so important) because its realy bumpy.

I allready lowered the Tire pressure to 30psi what brings an improvement but not enough.

Any recommendations?

Regards

MoD

I saw one of the large local 4x4 shops here working on a Fortuner. This is a very reputable shop (WAR) and works mostly on those monster truck, off-roader conversions but they do know their suspensions. Talked to the owner re some work on my wife's Suzuki and found him very knowledgeable on car/truck work in general. This is in Phuket but very likely that there are similar shops in BKK. Dropping your tire pressure to 30 pdi is not a good idea at all, stick to the pressures in the manual or even a bit higher; traction and safety should be more important than comfort.

new traffic laws soon in effect will fine any lowering/lifting of the vehicle, brake mods (putting discs instead of drums) and engine mods (but this can be difficult to prove if its just a ECU mod). wai2.gif

http://news.truelife.com/detail/3301651

Whatever that article says, what you are suggesting will never happen.

its about new traffic laws and they are already (i was mistaken in my previous post) in effect. no suggestion of mine.

Edited by raffo77

I saw one of the large local 4x4 shops here working on a Fortuner. This is a very reputable shop (WAR) and works mostly on those monster truck, off-roader conversions but they do know their suspensions. Talked to the owner re some work on my wife's Suzuki and found him very knowledgeable on car/truck work in general. This is in Phuket but very likely that there are similar shops in BKK. Dropping your tire pressure to 30 pdi is not a good idea at all, stick to the pressures in the manual or even a bit higher; traction and safety should be more important than comfort.

Just a bit of trivia the tire pressure is supposed to be 30psi all round. Not to sure what you mean about bumpy. You can drop it to 28 'Cold' without any problem. Tip don't use garage air set ups they are at best rubbish buy a pressure gauge and check in the morning before a run. Even after a Ikm trip the tire temp: will rise increasing the pressure.

I run my Spivo at 28/29psi helps a bit from the 30psi ride wise, you can change your set up to the Toyota Spivo spring's shocks 1" + lower (any good Toyota garage can sort that for you) will make it a lot more stable saying that the ride will be a bit harsher. If you want a softer ride leave well alone or it'll handle like a pig at speed.

How good are your tires/shocks. They can make a big difference.

Would also suggest that you ignore some of the replies as a lot of peeps on TV are at best plonkers (not the above) that don't know what their talking about.

Edited by fredob43

As freob43 mentioned the pressure should be at 30 psi (writen on plate at the Driver's door) but when i get tha car it was pumped up to 35 psi and every time i get it back from the anual service its back up to 35 psi doesnt matter if i tell them before 'leave the presure like it is' or not. sad.png

I dont want a sporty ride but i notced in my cars back home that you can get new suspensions with big improvements in body roll without beeing rock hard.

But i only own sedans and this is my 1st suv.

I know that i dont get the same ride quality as a sedan but I'm sure there is a solution out there that improves the ride.

I heard from someone that the Ohlins are the best for the Fortuner but i cannot find a set on the Ohlins webpage.

As freob43 mentioned the pressure should be at 30 psi (writen on plate at the Driver's door) but when i get tha car it was pumped up to 35 psi and every time i get it back from the anual service its back up to 35 psi doesnt matter if i tell them before 'leave the presure like it is' or not. sad.png

I dont want a sporty ride but i notced in my cars back home that you can get new suspensions with big improvements in body roll without beeing rock hard.

But i only own sedans and this is my 1st suv.

I know that i dont get the same ride quality as a sedan but I'm sure there is a solution out there that improves the ride.

I heard from someone that the Ohlins are the best for the Fortuner but i cannot find a set on the Ohlins webpage.

They pumped my Spivo up to 50psi once made a great improvement!!!

Regards brakes Run stop BKK have very good set ups but if you don't have 20" wheels your wasting your time and monies as you will need 20" to be able to fit the bigger discs.

Never been in a fortuna, but my hilux sport rider suspension is hard as hell. Its like sitting on a skateboard! The springs are meant to carry a load, so put some concrete in it

Should be ok with the inlaws in the back... if they're not heavy enough, fatten them up a bit!

Joking aside, the springs may need changing, not the shocks.

Maybe you can get some progressive or 2 stage springs.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Is this the rear disks and coil spring model if not that would be a place to start.

Before anyone starts yes I know converting rear drums to disks is pretty pointless on most cars, but drums on a 2 tonne truck can only be approved on.

You could try a twin coil spring set up to cope with the weight and varying weight it can carry.

30 psi for a 2 tonne (near enough) truck seems low, maybe Toyota recommend this to try and cover up (soften) how bad the ride is on these things. Like someone said 40 to 50 psi I would have thought on something this heavy.

I recognize a number of points made here:

1. I had a Vigo 4 x 4 from new to 6 years old; drove more than 200K and it drove like a Cadillac (very smooth & comfortable)

2. Then I bought a Fortuner; and the first thing I noticed was the 'hard' & 'rocky' ride; much less smooth as the Vigo.

3. Checked the tire-pressure and lowered it from 35 to 31 (which made it better, but still not "smooth")

I am now considering taking it to "Old-Man-Emu" in Bangkok; since they appear to be the only professional outfit in the Kingdom that know what they're doing.

http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/

and then go to: (Bangkok Dealer)

http://www.vvp4x4.com/products/brands/old-man-emu/oldman-emu

Edited by jaapfries

I recognize a number of points made here:

1. I had a Vigo 4 x 4 from new to 6 years old; drove more than 200K and it drove like a Cadillac (very smooth & comfortable)

2. Then I bought a Fortuner; and the first thing I noticed was the 'hard' & 'rocky' ride; much less smooth as the Vigo.

3. Checked the tire-pressure and lowered it from 35 to 31 (which made it better, but still not "smooth")

I am now considering taking it to "Old-Man-Emu" in Bangkok; since they appear to be the only professional outfit in the Kingdom that know what they're doing.

http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/

and then go to: (Bangkok Dealer)

http://www.vvp4x4.com/products/brands/old-man-emu/oldman-emu

He's wanting more comfort on the road so he needs to avoid that Bangkok place like the plague.

Edited by Alration

If you soften the springs you may get a problem with body roll, just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Springs mostly handle vertical loads - pitch.

Yaw and roll control will be handled by a good set of sway bars and quality shock absorbers.

If you soften the springs you may get a problem with body roll, just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Sage advise - especially when we've all seen what soft, high profile tires did to the Vigo's handling..

Is this the rear disks and coil spring model if not that would be a place to start.

Before anyone starts yes I know converting rear drums to disks is pretty pointless on most cars, but drums on a 2 tonne truck can only be approved on.

You could try a twin coil spring set up to cope with the weight and varying weight it can carry.

30 psi for a 2 tonne (near enough) truck seems low, maybe Toyota recommend this to try and cover up (soften) how bad the ride is on these things. Like someone said 40 to 50 psi I would have thought on something this heavy.

On my 2009 Fortuner the Toyota recommended pressure is 30psi (front and rear) and that is indeed plenty.

50psi would be approaching the max tire pressure of a passenger car grade tire--creating a balloon ready to pop at any time while driving.

Bridgestone or Michelin are usually the tires that come on Toyota Fortuner. My 2009 Fortuner came with Michelins...a few years back I bought some new rims and tires off a 2013 Fortuner which came with Bridgestone tires. Anyway, see below snapshot from Bridgestone saying not to pressurize about 40psi.

post-55970-0-37477800-1445494168_thumb.j

Anyway, see below snapshot from Bridgestone saying not to pressurize about 40psi.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Interesting - I guess Bridgestone tires are out for Everest owners then - the OEM recommended pressure with heavy loads is 35 front, 44 rear. I guess the upside to that is, if some idiot puts in 50 PSI, it's not that much over the manufacturers spec :P

Edited by IMHO

transam, on 22 Oct 2015 - 12:27, said:transam, on 22 Oct 2015 - 12:27, said:
IMHO, on 22 Oct 2015 - 09:34, said:IMHO, on 22 Oct 2015 - 09:34, said:
transam, on 21 Oct 2015 - 12:06, said:transam, on 21 Oct 2015 - 12:06, said:

Sage advise - especially when we've all seen what soft, high profile tires did to the Vigo's handling..

I had to get my dictionary out for that.........laugh.png

Thought it something to do with sage and onion STUFFING.....cheesy.gif

Actually I was quite impressed when I saw him use the ward 'sage', because I don't think that English is his first language. I just get the feeling that he is Thai .. could be wrong ... I have been many many times before ... shame on you Trans sad.png my chum! Well Mr IMHO... what is the score?

Edited by JAS21

Anyway, see below snapshot from Bridgestone saying not to pressurize about 40psi.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Interesting - I guess Bridgestone tires are out for Everest owners then - the OEM recommended pressure with heavy loads is 35 front, 44 rear. I guess the upside to that is, if some idiot puts in 50 PSI, it's not that much over the manufacturers spec tongue.png

Typical "Passenger grade" tires used on a typical auto/light pickup truck or SUV usually have max operating rating of around 45 to 50psi but there are so many grades of tires and they all basically look alike. Other grades can go much higher in max PSI and higher max pressure grades do come on many vehicles.

A person just really needs to research the complete part number of whatever tires he has on his vehicle or wants to buy. Some tires clearly show their max pressure on the sidewall; others don't. Tires look basically the same but specifications can vary greatly. Preaching to the choir I know.

The fortuner highest weight model is almost 2.2 tonne. It can carry 7 adults and a bootfull , around 3 tonne in total (tried to search for it's max weight), 29 -30 psi ? 50 yes too high, teaches me not to post when tired. (pun intended for the Americans), 29 -30 for that weight and highway speed driving ?

Remember this a car/ truck where the manufacturer only sold it in countries that didn't require crash testing presumably to skimp on costs same as fitting drums and cart springs, don't be surprised if those seemingly low pressures are as said to cover up the poor ride.

Has anyone actually taken temperatures across the tyre ?

The bridgestone thing is that for passenger cars and SUV's, light trucks ?

My V60 (16xx kg) plate says 41 psi on the rear with 5 people at 160 up, 38psi with 3 people below 160.

Guess I won't be buying Bridgestones.

The fortuner highest weight model is almost 2.2 tonne. It can carry 7 adults and a bootfull , around 3 tonne in total (tried to search for it's max weight), 29 -30 psi ? 50 yes too high, teaches me not to post when tired. (pun intended for the Americans), 29 -30 for that weight and highway speed driving ?

Remember this a car/ truck where the manufacturer only sold it in countries that didn't require crash testing presumably to skimp on costs same as fitting drums and cart springs, don't be surprised if those seemingly low pressures are as said to cover up the poor ride.

Has anyone actually taken temperatures across the tyre ?

The bridgestone thing is that for passenger cars and SUV's, light trucks ?

My V60 (16xx kg) plate says 41 psi on the rear with 5 people at 160 up, 38psi with 3 people below 160.

Guess I won't be buying Bridgestones.

Temperatures can vary vastly depending on outside/road heat. My electric temp:/pressure thing on the dash can go from low 20c to 45+c. Pressure likewise from 29psi to 40psi. Lot less if the tyres are filled with the nitrogen stuff.

Nothing wrong with Bridgestone if you get the right type for car, except their price.

I just did not like our Spivo 6 years ago,thought it may have been better than T.A.s Vigo ,expensive mistake,he got value,I got a Show Poney.

How you can compare them beats me.

If you hadn't noticed one is a pick up the other an MPV. Please allow me to inform you the Spivo has 7 leather TRD seats the pick up has 5 smaller cloth ones. Spivo has 5 doors more leg room front and back. 20" rims, rear coil springs, VSC C/Control far better dash, internal fitments, also hold the road better on high speed bumpy Thai roads as the rear doesn't tramp. I could go on but I think you get the drift.

Please don't tell me I'm talking out of my Butt as have had both so I do know the difference.

Both are powered by the same 3LT lump with power/speed being about the same.

Next you'll be telling us that a Honda Civic has 8 seats. Little more thought might be needed before you post.

Edited by fredob43

Then why didn't they fit soft springs from factory with stout sway bars..?

Spring rate determined by GVW of the vehicle.

If you never approach this figure, then go softer for improved ride and handling.

Why not fitted from factory - cost.

Then why didn't they fit soft springs from factory with stout sway bars..?

Why didn't Pontiac build their Trans Am like you did yours ?

Same answer I guess - people want to modify to suit an intended purpose.

But to make 100% sure - ask Toyota. Or GM.

Same non-answer from both parties.