CAT will proceed with the plan to build a national Internet gateway

webfact

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"...The aim of the project is not to control the flow of information into the country over the Internet as some fear..."

There is a sucker born every minute and they believe every word you are saying.

"...The national Internet gateway is one of two priorities for making Thailand a digital hub for the region by expanding capacity and reducing costs..."

What fantasy land do you live?

"...Such collaboration would not only reduce investment duplication, it would also reduce the cost of IIG traffic, he said..."

More fantasy!

"...managing director Morragot Kulatumyotin said having a national Internet gateway along with having large content providers establish their servers in Thailand would benefit the country a lot..."

How many people do you think you are fooling?

"...It would be good to have better prices for IIG services, which would reduce the cost of the Internet for end-users as well..."

Right. And how long will it take to pay back all the costs for these changes, additions and upgrades? Prices NEVER go down for anything.

The junta has been working hard behind the scenes to get this done come hell-or-high-water, even though they announced it had been dropped.

Facebook, Google and YouTube having servers in Thailand! Yeah, that will happen...

"I have an idea guys, let's all have servers in Thailand, so we can be subject to the nice Thai legal system, and they can protect us from hurting the people with the wrong information, videos, etc..."

What incredible dopes are in charge here?

Cat,,State Owned ,A chairman ;; Saprang Kalayanamitr is a Junta General;;,So as far as I can see CAT is Run by the Government,That tells me the Hypocrites have done a turn around and Misleading the Whole Country.F<><><> A<> Holes.

This is going to be a disaster for Thailand. You can't put the genie back in the bottle - Thai people have tasted (relatively) uncensored unencumbered Internet, and there will be riots (perhaps digital riots) if it's taken away now.

They are clearly following the Chinese Internet implementation, down to making foreign content be hosted locally. BTW, China is still not a digital hub, as a direct result of their heavy handed control over information. In fact is there anywhere in the world where a country with a single Internet gateway is also considered a regional hub? It's an obvious contradiction, and CAT and the general believe (wrongly) that the population are too complacent/stupid to know better or do anything about it.

Cat,,State Owned ,A chairman ;; Saprang Kalayanamitr is a Junta General;;,So as far as I can see CAT is Run by the Government,That tells me the Hypocrites have done a turn around and Misleading the Whole Country.F<><><> A<> Holes.

i just love my hypocritical 35mbit CAT internet connection. eat your heart out tongue.png

post-35218-0-82062900-1445393218_thumb.j

As a friend once told me, "When you think you've reached the depth of stupidity in Thailand, that only means you need a bigger shovel."

Many of us know the history of the internet. It was originally DARPA-Net, designed to keep communications up in the event of nuclear war. The entire concept was based on dispersing the communication lines so that damage to one hub would not bring down the system. The very concept of the system relies on redundant duplication.

Further, we know that most early projections of the internet's reach fell far short of what happened. Maybe they will only get an 80% increase every year. However, if that's all they plan for, then they will never be prepared for a future where the web traffic doubles instead. But, if you just let each of the independent companies set up their own gateways and server farms, then you will have the capacity due to redundancy.

In the meantime, I've run out of shovels. I'm now looking for a backhoe.

In the face of overwhelming unanimous opposite opinion, I'll stick my neck out and say that I think this is great, and a rare example of Thai forward thinking. This has nothing to do with a Great Firewall, and everything to do with bandwidth, access, and overseas investment.

This is going to be a disaster for Thailand. You can't put the genie back in the bottle - Thai people have tasted (relatively) uncensored unencumbered Internet, and there will be riots (perhaps digital riots) if it's taken away now.

They are clearly following the Chinese Internet implementation, down to making foreign content be hosted locally. BTW, China is still not a digital hub, as a direct result of their heavy handed control over information. In fact is there anywhere in the world where a country with a single Internet gateway is also considered a regional hub? It's an obvious contradiction, and CAT and the general believe (wrongly) that the population are too complacent/stupid to know better or do anything about it.

This all sounds perfectly true to me Clokwise, It will be a disaster, Webwise Thais will be doing DOS attacks against the gov sites, & their minions CAT sites, It will go down like a lead balloon amongst the middle & Hi So classes, the Juntas very supporters & kill what internet commerce there is, Another shot in the foot by the "alleged" government heading, full speed back to the middle ages...

Two pages in and as yet not a single fanboi has explained to us why this single gateway is not the same thing at all as the other single gateway or tried to make this thread about the rice scheme. Bit slow off the mark, aren't you? English John? Rubl? H90?

Edited by baboon

i just love my hypocritical 35mbit CAT internet connection. eat your heart out tongue.png

attachicon.gifCAT Speed.JPG

It's fairly widely recognized that flash based speed tests aren't gonna give you an accurate speed test. The ping time alone should give that away.

No surprise here. They told everyone a couple of weeks ago that it needed a different name for people to accept it. And here we are [drumroll], the "National Internet Gateway" controlled by a state run company. They're probably hoping that putting "National" in the new name will make all Thai people love it.

" said CAT acting chief executive officer Colonel " Seriously, need we read more? coffee1.gif

Just coming on to post similar. Are the junta now branching into public companies?

Yes they are, except it's nothing new.

Were the army and/or the politicians (regardless of their 'color') in this country ever not involved in public companies and other big businesses ?

The Thai military government continues to assert control.

With respect to freedom of speech and flow of information, the Junta has

- closed down numerous television and radio stations

- cowed the Thai press

- set limits on gatherings and personal expression

The Internet is a bigger challenge, but the next steps are clear. The military will try to control Internet traffic to & from Thailand, and they will attempt to control the content of major providers by requiring them to position servers under Thai jurisdiction.

Thailand will not become a digital hub under this regime. The military leaders placed into key positions have virtually no understanding of what it would actually take to make that happen (and establishing more control over Internet traffic is antithetical to that idea). They use the "efficiency" and digital hub arguments as superficial justifications. Military people love "efficiency".

These Internet related actions (if actually taken) will hurt Thailand's international standing, investment attractiveness, and the national economy. The current regime doesn't appear to care much about restoring a high growth economy. The current strategies are all about "sufficiency" and internal spending.

Meanwhile the Generals and Colonels are doing an excellent job double-dipping in their military and government roles. There is plenty of dosh to go around.

And when they are scratching their big combover heads wondering why places like Vietnam have just smoked them digitally... the Thai netizens will be the ones left without help... the stupidity of some of this stuff is amazing.
It's no wonder many of the workers for TOT and CAT don't care about their jobs.