Non-O ME Marriage in Savannakhet. Required Docs Oct 2015.

Heard today that a number of expats have not been able to get visa's at Savanakhet. I am unsure if they were for 'O' or 'B' visa's

Anyone aware of a very recent policy change at this specific Consulate and if so, what can and cannot be done there now??

Where did you "hear" this?

Is this just another rumour ?

IF( BIG IF) the Consulate has changed its policy nothing can be done about it !

Heard today that a number of expats have not been able to get visa's at Savanakhet. I am unsure if they were for 'O' or 'B' visa's

Anyone aware of a very recent policy change at this specific Consulate and if so, what can and cannot be done there now??

It was posted today on an Isaan based FB page. Forum rules prevent me from being more specific. The person say 3 guys were refused all at the same time. I mention it to get recent info, so as to help prospective travelers there. Edited by DILLIGAD

It was posted today on an Isaan based FB page. Forum rules prevent me from being more specific. The person say 3 guys were refused all at the same time. I mention it to get recent info, so as to help prospective travelers there.

IF this IS anything more than a FB rumour reports will arrive here on TV.

IF anyone was refused there would have been a reason for the refusal or are you trying to suggest that all applications for "O" and ? "B" visas are rejected ?

The Facebook page in question was talking about O based on retirement. That was quite clear so not sure why into given here is so vague.

When the OP was asked to provide more details, as in what documents he had, there was no reply. Seems a bit of scaremongery.

Savannakhet rarely issues non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement. Many reports of people being turned away. They want a letter from your embassy stating you are retired.

I always tell people to go to Vientiane to get the visa.

• Like 2

The Facebook page in question was talking about O based on retirement. That was quite clear so not sure why info given here regarding that is so vague.

When the OP was asked to provide more details, as in what documents he had, there was no reply. I doubt it is nothing more than an error on his part. Certainly nothing to do with Non O marriage.

Savannakhet has always been reluctant to issue "O" visas on the basis of retirement so nothing new !

Just another attempt at rumourmongering.

• Like 1

The Facebook page in question was talking about O based on retirement. That was quite clear so not sure why info given here regarding that is so vague.

When the OP was asked to provide more details, as in what documents he had, there was no reply. I doubt it is nothing more than an error on his part. Certainly nothing to do with Non O marriage.

Savannakhet has always been reluctant to issue "O" visas on the basis of retirement so nothing new !

I disagree and thanks to replies, it has now explained why the situation arose and clarified the query. Is that not what forums like this are for? To help each other.
  • Like 1

I disagree and thanks to replies, it has now explained why the situation arose and clarified the query. Is that not what forums like this are for? To help each other.

What are you disagreeing with ?

How many people do you know who have secured an "O" visa based on retirement from Savannakhet ?

Do a search and list reports of those who have obtained a visa based on retirement from Savannakhet.

Rumours help no one !

Ok Guys, this thread is awesome for a lot of people. Can anyone update the First Page First Post with Required Documents and Opening Hours and Pickup Times ? Just asking because I think the first guy opening this thread got it not 100% right and then people like me don't need to ask again and again? :)

Would be awesome.

What are you disagreeing with ?

How many people do you know who have secured an "O" visa based on retirement from Savannakhet ?

Do a search and list reports of those who have obtained a visa based on retirement from Savannakhet.

Rumours help no one !

To answer your queries in the same order

1) I disagree with being called a 'rumourmongerer' when asking to clarify something that has been confirmed by another member.

2) what does that prove if I know x number of people obtained a visa?

3) why, I have better things to do with my time like work for instance. Yes, I do have a 'B' visa and W/P.

4) Rumours help no one> agree and nor does your post.

This thread is about O based on marriage.

You said that you heard of people not getting a visa in Savannaket and said "not sure B or O".

That was incorrect as your information came from a post saying " pre rec for retirement".

That was misleading to say the least.

any recommendations for travelling from Bangkok to there?

How long does it take to do the visa? 2 nights?

Cheap?

Medium?

Expansive? Flights are rare...

Overland the bus journey is around 9 hours. You could go by train to Ubon and then a bus from there or fly to Ubon and bus from there if you don't want to spend all night on a bus.

I have just done that. I managed to get a return from Don Mueang to Ubon for about 1200 all in which I was very pleased with. I just couldn't face that long bus journey although you do still have about 3 hours from Ubon to Mukdahan. If you time it right (I did not) then you need only spend I night in Savannakhet but as has already been stated, your visa application must be in by 11am.

Having just come back from my first ever trip to obtain a non o from Savannakhet, there were a couple of things that stood out for me about the journey. Firstly, once you are on the bus that takes you between Savannakhet and Mukdahan, you must lose all your politeness and manners...be brutal, push in, barge people out of your way and give way to no 5 foot tall Asians..in order to not have to wait for another hour for the next bus because the driver will leave you behind if you are not through immigration quickly enough...so try to sit as near to the front of the bus as possible and try to have a downloaded visa on arrival form for Laos already filled in with your $35 to hand over.

If you are a good walker then the Bus station is no more than a 15 minute walk to the Thai consulate, so there is absolutely no need to use a tuk tuk driver either coming into Savannakhet or going out, in fact going out you will still need to purchase a bus ticket and wait for the bus to come anyway, so why not just walk down to the bus station and get straight on the bus.

The Facebook page in question was talking about O based on retirement. That was quite clear so not sure why into given here is so vague.

When the OP was asked to provide more details, as in what documents he had, there was no reply. Seems a bit of scaremongery.

Savannakhet rarely issues non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement. Many reports of people being turned away. They want a letter from your embassy stating you are retired.

I always tell people to go to Vientiane to get the visa.

was in Savannakhet a couple of days ago. the guy in front of me wanted an retirement visa, had all the papers (had a couple of beers with him afterwards) but was refused.

did get a single tourist one. officer said ( could hear it) a couple of times: first time in your home country, after that can do here.

he was very easy with my marriage one. none of the papers were signed. my wife was with me and i asked which one do we have to sign?

only answer 5000 baht. got the multiple entry next day after 14.00 h

were a lot of people waiting before 14.00 but at 14.25 nobody there any more.

• 3 months later...

I just got back from there. I got the 1 year multiple entry visa. They DID ask to see the original marriage certificate for a minute for a quick glance. Also the processing times was 2 days not 1.

Hi, have you been there with your wife?

I just got back from there. I got the 1 year multiple entry visa. They DID ask to see the original marriage certificate for a minute for a quick glance. Also the processing times was 2 days not 1.

Hi, have you been there with your wife?

I have taken my wife with me, but they (Savanakhet Consulate) didn't wanna talk to her, they just as ntv69 said, Looked at the Original Marriage Certificate, that was the "Holy Grail" to get the ME NON-O biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

So I am working in Indonesia and need to get to Savannakhet to renew the marriage Visa, only problem is I forgot the envelope with all the doc's which are at home with the family in Thailand.

My question is do I really need any original documents or are copies ok, and if so can scanned copies of wife signature be accepted, or will I need the wife to send me originals and other documents signed to me in Indonesia via DHL before I leave.

I will be flying via Bangkok but only transit onto Savannakhet.

Thanks

So I am working in Indonesia and need to get to Savannakhet to renew the marriage Visa, only problem is I forgot the envelope with all the doc's which are at home with the family in Thailand.

My question is do I really need any original documents or are copies ok, and if so can scanned copies of wife signature be accepted, or will I need the wife to send me originals and other documents signed to me in Indonesia via DHL before I leave.

I will be flying via Bangkok but only transit onto Savannakhet.

Thanks

You need original signatures. You also need the original of the marriage certificate.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the the requirements are for an non o for dependant child for someone not married but taking care his child for savannahket

You could easily get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai. Only their birth certificate plus a copy and house book registry would be needed.

Previously you could of gotten a multiple entry non-o if your child and their mother was with you when you applied but I have gotten 2 messages from people that were denied and only got a single entry.

I don't need kor ror 2?

I took (an updated orginal) with me the last time I went, but they only had Eyes for the Kor Ror 3 (Original Wedding Certificate) but also took the copies of the wife Tabien Baan and ID Card (with signature) as UJ already stated

• Like 1

Copy of my passport and passport photos too right?

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe

Copy of passport photo page.

You need two 3.5 X 4.5 cm photos for the visa application. And one for the Lao visa on arrival application.

I don't need kor ror 2?

Not needed.