China invests 8 billion euros in new UK nuclear plant

webfact

China invests 8 billion euros in new UK nuclear plant

LONDON: -- China has agreed to invest the equivalent of eight billion euros in a new UK nuclear plant, in return for later help bringing Chinese nuclear technology to the West.

The deal was part of Chinese President Xi Jinping’s four-day state visit to the United Kingdom.

Xi’s visit comes amid job cuts in Britain’s steel industry, blamed in part on cheap Chinese imports.

At a joint news conference, British Prime Minister David Cameron was asked by a reporter if there is any price that’s worth paying to further the UK’s business interests with China.

“I would completely reject the premise of your question that either you can have an exchange with China about the issue of steel, or indeed about human rights, or you can have a strong relationship with China which is good for business, investment and growth,” responded Cameron. “My argument, my contention, after five years of doing this job is that you can have both. Indeed you must have both.”

Battery-powered black taxis

The queen’s grandson Prince William received President Xi and his wife at Lancaster House earlier on Wednesday.

They inspected a new battery-powered black taxi which is set to be produced by the Chinese owned London Taxi Company.

Britain is being pitched as the pre-eminent Western gateway for investment from China.

The warmth of the reception for Xi has raised some eyebrows and many concerns that London is ignoring China’s human rights record.

Protests on the streets have so far been small. They have been dominated by pro-Tibetan and pro-democracy groups, as well as supporters of the spiritual sect Falun Gong, which is banned by China.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-22

Diplomacy is one thing and fawning quite another.

David Cameron et al are handing the Chinese a massive propaganda victory as this over enthusiastic welcome will be portrayed as showing how acceptable the Chinese govt is.

It's said that human rights etc will be raised and if they actually are it will be in a powder puff way, no need to upset the new best friends.

Diplomacy is the art of saying one thing for public consumption while doing the exact opposite.

David Cameron et al are handing the Chinese a massive propaganda victory as this over enthusiastic welcome will be portrayed as showing how acceptable the Chinese govt is.

It's said that human rights etc will be raised and if they actually are it will be in a powder puff way, no need to upset the new best friends.

Diplomacy is the art of saying one thing for public consumption while doing the exact opposite.

The UK sold out just like the Dutch king did according to some ministers. (having a holiday in China). Just shows that internal politics of a country are not important as long as money is involved.

Nuclear power built by China , just look at Fukushima still throwing out radiation seven days a week into the air and sea , most dont understand this should never happen.

Fukushima is a US designed BWR system.....while China's program is based on French designed PWR systems apples and oranges....besides how many Chinese plsnts have been destroyed by earthquakes and a Tsunami in the last 100 years ?

Stop being so hysterical

The UK sold out just like the Dutch king did according to some ministers. (having a holiday in China). Just shows that internal politics of a country are not important as long as money is involved.

I presume you are not unemployed and homeless in the UK constantly worrying about Chinese human rights abuses.

I presume you are not unemployed and homeless in the UK constantly worrying about Chinese human rights abuses.

Dont know why everyone gets in the face of China over human rights, if any Goverment truely cared about human rights....sanctions would have been put on Saudi years ago....;)

Dont know why everyone gets in the face of China over human rights, if any Goverment truely cared about human rights....sanctions would have been put on Saudi years ago....wink.png

I don't really care but for countries like the Netherlands and UK who supposedly are champions of democracy and human rights its of course a strange action. Personally I don't really care about it (call me selfish). Just find it a bit embarrassing that countries say one thing and do an other.