Big Bike vs Truck. Don't forget your fire suit.

NCC1701A

When I suggested that the actions of individuals shouldn't be part of the risk assessment equation, I meant you should always assume the worst. If you do meet a sensible guy who does see you are does react correctly, well I call that lucky.

But your statement "But with the lack of safety gear, confusion over who has the right of way at junctions, beliefs in reincarnation and not even proper braking skills required for test standard, it is not really a surprise." is spot on, but perhaps add "belief in their own immortality when it comes to the young" and that applies everywhere in the world..

Sorry for the misunderstanding, yes I do agree. Back to my original point about Roadcraft. In the UK it is often assumed that if you play by the rules then most of the other road users will do the same. In Thailand you cannot assume that. Although you could also just argue that in Thailand they play by different rules. This may sound strange but we see a similar conflict on UK roads regarding cyclists. They come into conflict with drivers often. Cyclists tend to ride like pedestrians rather than follow the rules of the road. If you look at Thai driving then often the faults are because they drive like pedestrians. Apply the same rules as you normally apply to walking down a street and a lot of the behaviour makes more sense.

Equally just doing an advanced riding course in the UK will not necessarily make you a safer rider. That may sound strange coming from someone like me but unfortunately that comes out from the statistics as well. This is something the new 'No Surprise / No Accident' approach is trying to address. What people need is the basic skills required to handle a motorcycle with the defensive skills required to keep them alive on the road. Training just tries to install the basics correctly and helps bridge the gap until the rider gains experience.

I also totally agree about the young. My favourite quote on the subject is:

a “From a neurological viewpoint - young drivers resemble a full airbus speeding down a runway with vibrating engines while in the cockpit the navigation and monitoring instruments are still being installed.”

http://www.ecodrive.org/download/downloads/ecowill_deliverable_31__compendium_for_ecodriving_education_in_driving_schools_european_english.pdf

Nobody mentioned how well the driver of the black pick up did to avoid running the rider over ...

This forum loves to criticise the Thai driving standard, but the driver of the pick up probably also saved the rider's life with his / her quick reactions.

Yeah, I felt sorry for him, his pick up was brand new. Biker was 100% at fault in this incident.

Nobody mentioned how well the driver of the black pick up did to avoid running the rider over ...

This forum loves to criticise the Thai driving standard, but the driver of the pick up probably also saved the rider's life with his / her quick reactions.

Yeah, I felt sorry for him, his pick up was brand new. Biker was 100% at fault in this incident.

The biker was for sure 100% at fault.

I'm wondering if the bike hit the pickup more than the truck. looking at the way the debris followed the pickup afterwards

I'm wondering if the bike hit the pickup more than the truck. looking at the way the debris followed the pickup afterwards

The biker only hit the pick up and not the truck at all. Looks like he hit the side of the pick up and slid down the side of it. There are many more pics on FB where you can he's riding a BMW HP4. I can't post the links here but search FB for Nonthawat Wisutthipat he covers most major accidents in Thailand.

Edited by macknife

The biker only hit the pick up and not the truck at all. Looks like he hit the side of the pick up and slid down the side of it. There are many more pics on FB where you can he's riding a BMW HP4. I can't post the links here but search FB for Nonthawat Wisutthipat he covers most major accidents in Thailand.

Right, thanks for confirming that.

That explains why he wasn't sent flying down the road ,as one would expect if he had hit the stationary truck.

So , the pickup driver, did nothing but get ricocheted out of the way.

Nothing at all to do with quick reactions probably saving the riders life by not running over him IMO.

BMW HP4?

Way over a million baht here?

193 hp?

At 18 years old?

Anyone else see a disjunction from reality?

Well he probably started riding the family scooter/sidecar when he was five. Started commuting to school on a scooter from seven.

Probably had a few minor falls so decided to get proper kit.

But then when you are dressed like a power ranger you are no longer required to give way to other road users, as you are then obviously immune from injury!

Problem is there is nobody faulting people like this. Nobody questions him because of the loss of face thing. If he goes to one of the riding schools they teach him how to handle the bike at low speed or race round a race track and get his knee down. Nobody suggests that racing on the road is bad. Fireball aside, this will keep happening every day.