Confirmed: Alcohol ban near Thai schools, universities starts TODAY

webfact

With the ban on road blocks,this is going to be the new cash cow for the police,

regards worgeordie

HAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaa Ban on road blocks,,,, I wish some one would tell the BIB where I live of such ban, not only do they still have them every day but these blokes are so dumb they get two separate groups of BIB about 5 klm's away and have a rod block on the same side of the road instead of the traffic on the opposite direction, Go figure.

Alcohol ban near Thai schools and uni's, where I live there's about 10 or so small mum n dad shops within 100 meters away from the local primary school all of which sell alcohol, and a currently unmanned police box within that 100 meters, and maybe another 10 more shop's 200-300 meters away from the school, so I would be wondering how many shop owners will be making loud noises to the BIB to enforce the new laws against the shops that are "near" schools and therefor massively increasing their profit margins??? reason being MONEY is everything in LOSwai2.gif So I think the BIB love this new law and will give it their full support, but I think that some shops will either pay tea money, close down, change the product they sell or will change ownership.

About as smart as the new internet single gate way. And some people still like this bloke, & hailing his (achievement's)post-4641-1156693976.gif It's getting harder for his apology's here to keep the divine leaders praise going.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The law is poorly written and should not be applied retroactive. In the US and many Western countries sale of alcohol is banned within a certain radius of a school and church. These laws have been on the books for years but no bar or restaurant has been closed that was there prior to the law. The problem in Thailand is that there are slack zoning laws. You build anything anywhere you want. The only way this should work is that all establishments have a license and no new license is issued if you plan on opening a new establishment near a school and the radius has to be defined. Now the law is so vague that the police can determine an establishment 500 meters is too close while one within 10 meters is left alone.

With the alc. purchasing laws what they are ( Lotus ,eg 11am-2pm then 17,00 - 22.00 ) Why can't the same apply here ? We went to a smart new restaurant 3 weeks ago up here in woop-woop. Around 11am , I wanted a coffee and some lunch. The first thing I was told was " Solly , no beer " A primary school is next door ,in fact there is a gate between the 2 buildings. The owner of the restaurant says it gets busy in the evening. My point is why cannot a sign be put up outside saying " No alcohol sold before 6pm " The school is shut , kiddies at home for 'eavens sake . Or would this be too easy and makes too much sense ?

One thing you can say about the current stupidity in Thailand at the moment is, at least it's consistent........Consistently stupid. In a country where everyone has to have an ID card or carry passport ID, what's the problem with just having what the west uses and just ask for ID before sale of alcohol ? Because as we all know, if you really want alcohol, you could probably find it on the moon. I've worked in Saudi for years, and even there if you want a drink you can get one......Anyone caught underage drinking should be charged with that, also where it was purchased from, very simple, maybe too simple..... What's the next law going to be ? All alcohol will only be sold in Songhklah on a wednesday afternoon between two and three ...... ?

One thing that keeps amazing me about Thailand is why the National Government would be involved in formulating alcohol laws or closing times or anything along these lines. These are local issues and this whole issue is an example of why changes need to be made within the country. It should start with the police . They need to be broken apart and decentralized. Alcohol laws, closing times etc shroud be decided by local people or left at least to the Provincial authorities. There may be some areas that want to have no closing time such as certain sections of Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket. Other provinces may want to restrict the sale of alcohol based upon cultural or religions norms. In Thailand everything has to be decided by the central government which causes huge bureaucracy and laws which are vague and inconsistent opening up each one to potential corruption. I certainly do not want Thailand to become like the West but it appears they are working on it.

Edited by Thaidream

I don't suppose the global response of 'No +18 ID No Alcohol sold' has occurred to them?

There is NOTHING to stop any kids drinking away from a school or university, and why would they want to risk a bust by teachers anyway?

A very popular seafood joint in Chiang Mai now cannot sell beer, but you can BYO. Wait, what?!

There are several massive food courts/night markets across the road on two sides of CMU campus, what about them?

Does anyone actually think this stuff through, for like 30 seconds, even?

if I have to roll my eyes at the news today one more time, I'll go blind.

One thing that keeps amazing me about Thailand is why the National Government would be involved in formulating alcohol laws or closing times or anything along these lines. These are local issues and this whole issue is an example of why changes need to be made within the country. It should start with the police . They need to be broken apart and decentralized. Alcohol laws, closing times etc shroud be decided by local people or left at least to the Provincial authorities. There may be some areas that want to have no closing time such as certain sections of Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket. Other provinces may want to restrict the sale of alcohol based upon cultural or religions norms. In Thailand everything has to be decided by the central government which causes huge bureaucracy and laws which are vague and inconsistent opening up each one to potential corruption. I certainly do not want Thailand to become like the West but it appears they are working on it.

You are being far too sensible and pragmatic, stop it, you're making the hosts look bad! ;p

The law is poorly written and should not be applied retroactive. In the US and many Western countries sale of alcohol is banned within a certain radius of a school and church. These laws have been on the books for years but no bar or restaurant has been closed that was there prior to the law. The problem in Thailand is that there are slack zoning laws. You build anything anywhere you want. The only way this should work is that all establishments have a license and no new license is issued if you plan on opening a new establishment near a school and the radius has to be defined. Now the law is so vague that the police can determine an establishment 500 meters is too close while one within 10 meters is left alone.

Wrong, the law in Thailand is article number not-to-be named ph34r.pngph34r.pngph34r.png

One thing you can say about the current stupidity in Thailand at the moment is, at least it's consistent........Consistently stupid. In a country where everyone has to have an ID card or carry passport ID, what's the problem with just having what the west uses and just ask for ID before sale of alcohol ? Because as we all know, if you really want alcohol, you could probably find it on the moon. I've worked in Saudi for years, and even there if you want a drink you can get one......Anyone caught underage drinking should be charged with that, also where it was purchased from, very simple, maybe too simple..... What's the next law going to be ? All alcohol will only be sold in Songhklah on a wednesday afternoon between two and three ...... ?

Well, they already shutter the 7/11 booze fridge between breakfast-lunch & lunch-dinner do they think the nation is so alcoholic it needs to do this?

Reflecting on this, to us it seems farcical, and it is. But behind this is the quite sinister imperative for paternalistic control of adult lives.

They have co-opted religion and other sacred institutions to bolster this imperative, we used to have this form of governance in the West for Centuries too, but while we've chipped away at this in the last 200 years, they want the old school style of serfdom to flourish forever, modernity be damned.

It's not particularly Thai, it's evident throughout the Far East. They even managed to turn Communism into a capitalist vehicle for the Dynastic Elite!

It's just the way it is, and is likely to be for the next thousand years, only a cultural shift from within individual hearts and minds will change that, I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by dhream

With the alc. purchasing laws what they are ( Lotus ,eg 11am-2pm then 17,00 - 22.00 ) Why can't the same apply here ? We went to a smart new restaurant 3 weeks ago up here in woop-woop. Around 11am , I wanted a coffee and some lunch. The first thing I was told was " Solly , no beer " A primary school is next door ,in fact there is a gate between the 2 buildings. The owner of the restaurant says it gets busy in the evening. My point is why cannot a sign be put up outside saying " No alcohol sold before 6pm " The school is shut , kiddies at home for 'eavens sake . Or would this be too easy and makes too much sense ?

How did he know your name was Solly?

I, for one, am pleased that my 8 year old son will still be able to make his own wine in school for free next year. This will lower my wine bill by several hundred baht per week I expect. Good on ya government! Good ruling!

Those businesses that sell alcohol way after school hours end and the school is closed for the day? Guess they will have to move a bit to show that they are no longer near the school. Since there is no precise number on the distance, a bit will have to suffice, or the police will be abusing their authority. Easy targets for class action suit for all alcohol sellers.

I'm too lazy to confirm this as fact, but I'm reasonably sure class-action suits are either dis-allowed or severely limited in application in most ASEAN countries, because:

1) People do things in groups anyway, and as such would jump on this opportunity to right a myriad of wrongs like flies on a carcass.

2) The Govt does the suing, thank you very much! AKA the Singapore conundrum.

We had the people who are policing this around to our bar. They had a hi-tech piece of kit and that showed that were were precisely 310 metres awy from the school. Will be expecting another visit in the near future.

The Midnight closing is another scam, enforced here because we are on the main road, the places around the corner can stay open and off the main road can stay open, nonsensical!

There are around 40,000 educational venues in LOs. Impossible to issue anything more definitive than "near" in geo-relative terms. But more bemusing is that there was not even at attempt to descriptively locate a beverage vendor or 'venue' to a schools entrance. "Near" could abutt the rear of the school kilometers from a gate or access point.

The appearance of governing is classic and it is so feeble i am not really sure why they bothered. Thesediscretionary and interpretative laws swell the books and become problematic just for existing in them down the track. Confusion and arguments reign. Mildly hilarious. Want do they really want from this?

Near definition = "At or to a short distance away"

OK, how far is a short distance, if you can not define it the law in a civilized country would be unenforceable.

Another "U"turn next week???

Me Think... Ban Alcohol In or Near Government House would be a better idea... gigglem.gif

Edited by Basil B

BEST NEWS THIS YEAR !

Congratulations to a Responsible, sane Government for introducing this law to rid us of the drunken oafs who have no idea of self control.

May the drunken louts and those idiots who support them, use this opportunity to sober-up...they may live longer and at the same time cause less carnage on our roads.

Im not arguing against your sentiments Torrens but what difference will it all make.

If a student wants booze, he ll go where he can buy it and then drive his scooter home just the same.

I would argue that there are bigger problems for Khun Prayut to be concerned with.

The biggest Mom 'n Pop shop in my village (where I often stop for a beer) is just across the road from the entrance to the local primary school. Whether the BIB will enforce this rule on this establishment remains to be seen, but if they do there will be some very angry people. So much for this junta bunch 'bringing happiness to the people'.

In my village similar

One shops is 2 doors away the next ones 50m away and the others in the village would be inside 300m

So what is near????

The BIB will bring their own tape measure. This just means that young people will have to travel a little extra for their suds no big deal. Yes I agree this just adds to the BIB's revenue stream.

BEST NEWS THIS YEAR !

Congratulations to a Responsible, sane Government for introducing this law to rid us of the drunken oafs who have no idea of self control.

May the drunken louts and those idiots who support them, use this opportunity to sober-up...they may live longer and at the same time cause less carnage on our roads.

Im not arguing against your sentiments Torrens but what difference will it all make.

If a student wants booze, he ll go where he can buy it and then drive his scooter home just the same.

I would argue that there are bigger problems for Khun Prayut to be concerned with.

Yes there are bigger problems to deal with but then it might mean stepping on the wrong toes.

"no specific distance being determined."

So it's going to be up to the police to determine the distance......which no doubt will determine the payment required....the closer to a school, the more expensive.....another piece of incredulously inane law making!

totally agree.

The story in the newspaper we can't mention around here says it is up to the discretion of the police officers to determine the distance!!

That's just asking for trouble!!!

The Bangkok Post is reporting the same thing.

Your last sentence is rhetorical right? crazy.gif

In other news today :

CDC Chairman Meercat Fuggedaboutit announced the Charter drafting process will now consider certain measures to overcome confusion under past Charters. Among the new measures is establishment of a National Law Enforcement Terminology Obfuscation Commision. Meercat said Thailand has for too long labored with the burden of assigning meaning to words, with the result that Police and government officials were constrained in their actions and decisions, which led to undesirable outcomes. He said the new Commision would be task with imprecisely defining such common terms as law, freedom, detention, helmet, near and bribe. The CDC is expected to review a draft of the new Article 374 within the next few months, although an exact time frame could not be determined.

Edited by phoenixdoglover