Confirmed: Alcohol ban near Thai schools, universities starts TODAY

webfact

BEST NEWS THIS YEAR !

Congratulations to a Responsible, sane Government for introducing this law to rid us of the drunken oafs who have no idea of self control.

May the drunken louts and those idiots who support them, use this opportunity to sober-up...they may live longer and at the same time cause less carnage on our roads.

Feeling self-important today, I see. Here, have a wet towelette. It makes it easier to get the brown off your nose.

thumbsup.gif

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tawandaeng German Brewery, on the corner of Narathiwas and Rama 3 roads, is located IMMEDIATELY next to a school, if I'm not mistaken. Let's see them close THAT one. Then there's the Tesco a stone's throw away. And 7-11 opposite the school. Might as well just completely shut down alcohol sales in Thailand. What brainless nitwits are running this country.

I'm sure that 7/11 won't be affected, they are owned by one of the "untouchable families". I suspect that the same will be true of Tesco and the brewery.

This will screw the little people. As everyone else (just about) has already said, "tea money" extortion nothing more nothing less.

The military have little love for the police, but there are rather a lot of them (coppers), and I suppose that they have to keep them sweet. Unless of course the military are to take a lead in enforcing this one - it may well be deemed to be a matter of national security...

Agree with the general view. This 'law', if you can call it that, is so blatantly stupid. They might as well come right out and say it i.e. "Yup, after how we have choked the brown clowns' revenue streams, we're opening one up for them, so they can go play and be happy in their little corner, and leave us to more 'serious matters'."

Whatever it is the govt thinks is 'serious'.

I guess Ubon is the only place the junta is making a dent in police corruption. It's been over a year since I've been asked for pocket money by cops. Sure they still give tickets for no helmets, no lights or license, the ticket truck drivers with leaking loads or poles protruding meters out the back but that's their job. No more requests for cash they furtively stuff in their breastpocket while they glance around. Tickets are written and fines are paid to a senior officer.

Or is the explanation for all the vapid posts full of hackneyed expressions about brown envelopes and mia nois and tea money from posters who haven't left their houses since the coup?

so what defines 'near'? who you know? the Moon is 'nearer' Earth than Neptune? it's nonsense

The usual Thai legal approach in this instance would be to add a definition of 'near' to the legalese such as 'near means close'.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Well, 300 Meters. In Pattaya, there is that large school on Pattaya Thai road. 300 meters around that are an awful lot of 7-11s, and quite a few bars are within that distance, granted across the street (2nd road).

The law no longer refers to 300 metres. It says "near". It's likely to be selectively enforced against places frequented by students. I doubt any tourist places will be affected.

I know of two 7/11 near CMU that pulled the alcohol from their shelves.

At first, the picture looks like he came off the Starship USS Enterprise

Tawandaeng German Brewery, on the corner of Narathiwas and Rama 3 roads, is located IMMEDIATELY next to a school, if I'm not mistaken. Let's see them close THAT one. Then there's the Tesco a stone's throw away. And 7-11 opposite the school. Might as well just completely shut down alcohol sales in Thailand. What brainless nitwits are running this country.

I'm sure that 7/11 won't be affected, they are owned by one of the "untouchable families". I suspect that the same will be true of Tesco and the brewery.

This will screw the little people. As everyone else (just about) has already said, "tea money" extortion nothing more nothing less.

The military have little love for the police, but there are rather a lot of them (coppers), and I suppose that they have to keep them sweet. Unless of course the military are to take a lead in enforcing this one - it may well be deemed to be a matter of national security...

Edited by Nowisee

• 3 weeks later...