It's not to late for Thailand to join TTP, says PM Prayut

webfact

It's not to late for Thailand to join TTP, says PM
The Nation

30271498-01_big.jpg
Prayut Chan-o-cha

BANGKOK: -- Thailand still has until 2017 before reaching a decision on whether to become a member of the Trans-Pacific Strategic Economic Partnership Agreement, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Friday.

"Thailand still has time to carefully study additional details. We are not shutting ourselves out," Prayut said in his weekly TV programme "Returning Happiness to People in the Country".

Prayut was responding after voices in the business sector warned that the country may have missed its chance to become a TPP member and if this were the case the country would lose a huge business opportunity as it was in dire need to boost the sluggish economic growth.

Prayut said the Ministry of Commerce had invited the Federation of Thai Industries, the Board of Trade and the Thai Bankers Association to discuss the matter.

He said becoming a TPP member would be beneficial to the country and would have an influencing affect on investors.

However, some business representatives remain worried about how Thailand will compete in the exportation of goods known as sensitive products.

Prayut said Thailand had free trade agreements with nine of the 12 TPP member countries.

It currently does not have an agreement with the United States, Canada and Mexico.

At present, Thailand is negotiating a Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership. The RCEP is an economic cooperation framework between the 10 member countries of Asean and six of the grouping's trading partners - China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia and New Zealand.

Prayut said to become a TPP member negotiations had to be conducted with bilateral trading partners and a consensus reached.

He said the population within the ASEAN + 6 group was 3.5 billion, almost half the world's population.

"This is a big market that can accommodate goods and services from Thailand. It is expected to take one to two years [before the TPP group is finalised]. We still have time to consider this,'' he said.

Meanwhile, the PM said the government was planning two phases of bus procurements to replace old buses.

He said the first phase was to immediately replace old buses with finished NGV vehicles.

"We will do everything in our capacity to prevent corruption from the procurement,'' Prayut said.

He said the second phase was to possibly let domestic companies produce electric vehicles.

"This will help create jobs, income and new entrepreneurs. Prices should be lower too,'' he said.

Bus routes will be adjusted in Bangkok and its vicinity as part of the restructuring of the country's transportation system, he said.

Prayut said the government had told state agencies to study how to make trains, buses, batteries and engines so the country could save money as these imported products were expensive.

"It is something we are serious about getting into,'' he said.

"We also need to help our country reduce carbon emissions released by vehicles. We need to reduce the emission rate by 30 per cenr."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Its-not-to-late-for-Thailand-to-join-TTP-says-PM-30271498.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-24

the sooner this buffoon and his Junta go the better ...by the time he's finished I might as well be living in Europe, the speed of the removal of freedom, liberty’s and human rights here is frightening.

And as for the TPP well this man is braindead..just look at the demos in Europe against the TTIP ...ITS A MASSIVE Corporate TAKEOVER OF YOUR RIGHTS dont fall for all the BULL ...its the first step to AGENDA 21 (of which THAILAND was a signatory along with 192 other Countrys at the UN in 1996...this has been planned for decades)

bah.gif

Forgot to add ..the Single gateway is all part of TPP …so they can monitor IP and copyright ..all downloading of digital media and Sat TV over internet will be gone or priced so high that many wont afford the service..DONT BE FOOLED BY EVIL they want absolute control over YOU the DEBT SLAVE

Edited by terryp

the sooner this buffoon and his Junta go the better ...by the time he's finished I might as well be living in Europe, the speed of the removal of freedom, liberty’s and human rights here is frightening.

And as for the TPP well this man is braindead..just look at the demos in Europe against the TTIP ...ITS A MASSIVE Corporate TAKEOVER OF YOUR RIGHTS dont fall for all the BULL ...its the first step to AGENDA 21 (of which THAILAND was a signatory along with 192 other Countrys at the UN in 1996...this has been planned for decades)

bah.gif

Forgot to add ..the Single gateway is all part of TPP …so they can monitor IP and copyright ..all downloading of digital media and Sat TV over internet will be gone or priced so high that many wont afford the service..DONT BE FOOLED BY EVIL they want absolute control over YOU the DEBT SLAVE

Well nice to know that someone else is awake!

I sometimes think I am the only one.

I'm not sure if Thailand gets to decide whether it joins the TPP or not. At any rate, current members such as Mexico have an incentive to keep them out, because they would be a competitor to outsourced American assembly manufacturers of things such autos.

Although I share your concerns on the TPP, which allows transnational corprations to override government laws and courts, I fail to understand how this position is consistent with opposing the current government. Is the Dubai crowd, to which the former government was connected, not 100% behind these so-called "free" trade agreements? Is the current government not more "nationalist" in nature - hence likely to support "protectionist" policies, which benefit working-class Thais?

...by the time he's finished I might as well be living in Europe, the speed of the removal of freedom, liberty’s and human rights here is frightening.

Well, I come from the nation with the highest incarceration-rate in the world (to feed a "for-profit prison" system), so to me, Thailand looks much more like the proverbial, "Land of the Free." As one example, I don't see every major street riddled with cars pulled over for minor traffic-infractions, as one does in my country.

Also, I would not advise seeing what happens if you try starting your own business in the West, by hooking a cart to the side of a motorcycle. Establishment businesses will have you removed from the "free" (sic) market in short order.

Although I share your concerns on the TPP, which allows transnational corprations to override government laws and courts, I fail to understand how this position is consistent with opposing the current government. Is the Dubai crowd, to which the former government was connected, not 100% behind these so-called "free" trade agreements? Is the current government not more "nationalist" in nature - hence likely to support "protectionist" policies, which benefit working-class Thais?

...by the time he's finished I might as well be living in Europe, the speed of the removal of freedom, libertys and human rights here is frightening.

Well, I come from the nation with the highest incarceration-rate in the world (to feed a "for-profit prison" system), so to me, Thailand looks much more like the proverbial, "Land of the Free." As one example, I don't see every major street riddled with cars pulled over for minor traffic-infractions, as one does in my country.

Also, I would not advise seeing what happens if you try starting your own business in the West, by hooking a cart to the side of a motorcycle. Establishment businesses will have you removed from the "free" (sic) market in short order.

I don't think anyone was suggesting the boys in Dubai would be any better, but perhaps a fairly elected government, without a stacked-deck rewrite of the constitution would be.

And while, for the time being, as a foreigner living in Thailand, it may seem the 'land of the free', I don't think it is as free as it once was for Thais. Think lese majeste, freedom of assembly (none), etc.

I think what attracts us foreigners is the lack of day-to-day structure and harassment, unlike what we have in the West. The harassment, however, is beginning, starting with the poorer segment, but it will certainly migrate up the chain. Our sensibilities are an irritant to the junta, and they are moving against it...

bah.gif

Your first sentence is utter bilge but the other 2 are spot on!!

TPP places all litigation between corporations and countries in the World Court, where money equals influence.

First, Microsoft would start hiring Thais to audit Government Institutions, especially the MOE, and then take them to the World Court for all those free copies of Windows and MS Office being used by staff nationwide. And Thailand would lose.

Secondly, the big Pharma companies would raise the price of all the drugs that Thailand imports (Turing Pharmaceuticals CEO Martin Shkreli already did this as a way to prepare for...you got it...the TPP) , and if any healthcare provider in Thailand used a generic the company deemed "suspicious", they would take them to the World Court for suing. And Thailand would lose, and the Public Health scheme would collapse under it's own weight.

Third, companies who influence American politics, both of the above and many more, would begin suing countries to manipulate their political processes. And Thailand would lose.

Again.

Please don't do this Thailand. Please. The Americans are already using the TPP as a bargaining chip for countries to get off Third Tier Human Trafficking status....like Malaysia signed the TPP and -- MIRACLE -- no more warnings.... Don't do this. Once you give some one else your power, they never give any of it back.

...by the time he's finished I might as well be living in Europe, the speed of the removal of freedom, libertys and human rights here is frightening.

I don't think anyone was suggesting the boys in Dubai would be any better, but perhaps a fairly elected government, without a stacked-deck rewrite of the constitution would be.

And while, for the time being, as a foreigner living in Thailand, it may seem the 'land of the free', I don't think it is as free as it once was for Thais. Think lese majeste, freedom of assembly (none), etc.

I think what attracts us foreigners is the lack of day-to-day structure and harassment, unlike what we have in the West. The harassment, however, is beginning, starting with the poorer segment, but it will certainly migrate up the chain. Our sensibilities are an irritant to the junta, and they are moving against it...

In my younger days, I would have agreed with the principles in those sentiments. I have since found these to be, historically, of little help in serving "freedom" - and can even work to its detriment. Edward Bernays had the formula for control, using these mechanisms, figured out in the early 20th Century.

Consider that "lese majeste" laws protect the Sustainability and Self-Sufficiency model. Therefore, this law protects Thais from being fooled by the Transnational Media, which if left unhindered, would to attack and undermine such ideas, as in the West, to the detriment of the people.

"Freedom of Assembly" includes, for example, the USA/Brit-paid mobs which were used to coup the democratically-elected government of Iran in 1953 (on behalf of BP et al), Guatemala the next year (with Bernays writing the PR-script), and countless other governments since. More recently, the term "color revolution" is used as cover, when governments, democratic or otherwise, do not bend to the will of the Transnationals, and sell-out their citizens.

I wish my nation had a king with ideals and love of country, which Thailand is fortunate to have. Instead, we have little other than paid-mobs, useful-idots parroting meaningless party slogans, plus bought-off politicians and judges running everything for the benefit of those with large, offshore bank-accounts - and with zero restraint on their power and influence. This hasn't worked out too well.

...by the time he's finished I might as well be living in Europe, the speed of the removal of freedom, liberty’s and human rights here is frightening.

Good point. Thaksin was a Wall Street proxy, there to shoehorn through deals that were in the interest of the corporatocracy which runs the US and is currently in the final stages of gaining a stranglehold over the global economy.

Unfortunately, it is hard to see what anyone can do to stop the steamrollering of this new world order which will see the takeover of our lives by political administrations subservient to the business interests which help put them in power.

"He said the first phase was to immediately replace old buses with finished NGV vehicles....We will do everything in our capacity to prevent corruption from the procurement,''

2015-09-29

"489 new NGV-powered buses that will be the first lot delivered under the scheme to buy 3,183 new buses have yet to be delivered as complaints over lack of transparency in procurement decisions are being investigated. Mr. Ormsin [Deputy Minister of Transport] indicated that if the probe does not detect irregularities, the first of the 489 buses will be delivered within 50 days. However, any irregularity found would mean the procurement process had to start anew, and two more months will be required.

Coming up on 30 days.

The "mission" of the TTP is also to destroy ASEAN and BRICS....... Signing it will affect trade with China, Russia, and India, between other big countries, and that is the main reason the EU countries are opposing it.

Bad deal for Thailand.