lovelomsak

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Considering 75% of these posters state - no

and the post itself seems to be of little interest in general gleaned by # of posts.

I think it's pretty safe to say foreigners, don't care what's going on around them or the country they have made their home.

It just boils down to three things: cheap living, cheap sex and cheap pubs all delivered with a smile and all mod cons.

Plebs

I did care at one time but not anymore. Thailand belongs to the Thai's and foreigners here have no rights. The Thai's are doing a great job of stuffing up their country and dont need my help or advice.

So I just live & let live. coffee1.gif

I did care at one time but not anymore. Thailand belongs to the Thai's and foreigners here have no rights. The Thai's are doing a great job of stuffing up their country and dont need my help or advice.

I am the same as you I did care but now I think why shouid I care. Nothing and I mean nothing, from police,courts,slavery,corruption,education,politics,the list goes has any credibilty. The country has wore me down.

Yes live and let live.

Sounds more to me like you just endure.

For myself I do care I have Thai wife and her family here. I am not here for the booze and the women. I like to see the Thais getting along. They finally have a government that makes it a lot safer on the streets. Even the red shirts their main opposition are peaceful.

It seems to me to not care about the country you choose to live in is counterproductive. There is not much you can do but running around with the attitude you don't care about the country is not exactly endearing the Thais to you. Nor is it a reason not to care.

Let me defer to Humphrey Bogart on this one,......

Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?

Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

Rick: I was misinformed.

"Do you really care what happens here as long the exchange rate is good and nothing disturbs your personal lifestyle."

I care what happens here precisely because it may impact the exchange rate, or policy toward foreigners, which may or may not disturb my lifestyle directly or indirectly.

So yes. I care, in a selective, selfish way. But that's not unusual for most people on this planet. Even Thais. blink.png

Good question, and one I've considered lately. I guess I really don't. I've accepted that my feelings or concerns for this place are fairly insignificant to Thais and will never affect change. I do keep an eye on the news though as it occasionally affects my personal safety. But I'm almost better off not knowing what goes on between Thais. Makes me paranoid that their personal issues are somehow altering their feelings about me and other foreigners. It is an interesting place though and I'm a little curious to see what happens. Kinda like watching a kid grow up.

Thai women are not submissive, btw. That's an illusion. Nicer? Sure. Sweeter? Of course. But they generally do what they want and will use any reason (or no reason) to justify getting what they want. Masters of having their cake and eating it too. Last time I checked, infidelity among Thai women was second highest in the world. That should tell you how submissive they are.

Some posts and responses to them removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

For myself I do care I have Thai wife and her family here. I am not here for the booze and the women. I like to see the Thais getting along. They finally have a government that makes it a lot safer on the streets. Even the red shirts their main opposition are peaceful.

It seems to me to not care about the country you choose to live in is counterproductive. There is not much you can do but running around with the attitude you don't care about the country is not exactly endearing the Thais to you. Nor is it a reason not to care.

You speak a lot of common sense in your post but I do think that the phrase "dont care" is not really either accurate or appropriate because I think that most people on this forum are very similar in that they know when they can make a difference or not and on the subject of this thread foreigners simply have no effect. impact or opinion, so why bother?

If they are like me then they didn't come to change the world they came for a peaceful retirement with a great wife in what at first glance through rose tinted specs was an idyll.

After the honeymoon period and the investment came the reality.

Its a reality that slowly comes up on you over a longish period of time and maybe like me you turn in on yourself and ignore that that you cannot change or you move Countries, the last thing on my mind would be to try to change the system here and that is what is needed to make any difference

When people see the carnage on the roads, the exploitation by the leaders of the people and the way that the police operate, then how can a sane person "Care" Oh yes they can be sad, angry with the seemingly injustice of it all but Care, for what purpose to make themselves feel better

There have been many people who cared and voiced their concern, outrage and indignation to what goes on in this Country and where are then now?

Not really a question but the answer could be in Google!

Edited by n210mp

You speak a lot of common sense in your post but I do think that the phrase "dont care" is not really either accurate or appropriate because I think that most people on this forum are very similar in that they know when they can make a difference or not and on the subject of this thread foreigners simply have no effect. impact or opinion, so why bother?

If they are like me then they didn't come to change the world they came for a peaceful retirement with a great wife in what at first glance through rose tinted specs was an idyll.

Its a reality that slowly comes up on you over a longish period of time and maybe like me you turn in on yourself and ignore that that you cannot change or you move Countries, the last thing on my mind would be to try to change the system here and that is what is needed to make any difference

When people see the carnage on the roads, the exploitation by the leaders of the people and the way that the police operate, then how can a sane person "Care" Oh yes they can be sad, angry with the seemingly injustice of it all but Care, for what purpose to make themselves feel better

There have been many people who cared and voiced their concern, outrage and indignation to what goes on in this Country and where are then now?

Thank you.You articulated my feelings on this very well. I would say this post says it all. Thank you for your input it is appreciated.

Well I have been here 9 years and yes I care. You appear to me not to care because you can not control it or they wont live up to your standards. I see the same things you do and yet I still care.

I pay attention to what is happening and it makes me feel good to see a government that is not democratic but is more concerned for its citizens than the previous government and their armed allies did. Also I do not have my head where the sun doesn't shine. Corruption is a fact of life no matter what country you are in. Yes there are a lot less corrupt but there is even more that are more corrupt. That is their business and I can do nothing about it but I still care about what goes on Thailand.

To be blunt I hear people often on Thai Visa say they don't want us here. I am quite sure their I don't care about Thailand attitude has a lot to do with the way they are treated. I never get that attitude. I try to fit in to their way of doing things and if I can't I don't get bent out of shape about it. It is their culture and many times they will try to understand my way. As long as a person fights it they will get that not wanted attitude.

I live here, so yes I feel it's only natural that I care about what's going on. I try to keep abreast of current affairs and try to learn a little more about the country's history, culture, language and general attitude of its people.

A person who doesn't care about the country he's living in, is just ignorant.

Edited by djayz

I live here, so yes I feel it's only natural that I care about what's going on. I try to keep abreast of current affairs and try to learn a little more about the country's history, culture, language and general attitude of its people.

I have spent more time learning about the culture,history and am trying to learn the language. I studied independently about Thailand before ever coming here. So I feel I amnot ignorant aboutThailand. But I donot care any more if it implodes from bad policies and politics and lack of fortitude to change for the better. Thailand makes it own bed and sleeps in it. I could careless how it is ran or who runs It has come to the point where I personaly cannot continue to try and care for a country where lies ,corruption, inhumanities and selfishness are the qualifiers for success or leadership.

Edited by lovelomsak

Well I have been here 9 years and yes I care. You appear to me not to care because you can not control it or they wont live up to your standards. I see the same things you do and yet I still care.

I pay attention to what is happening and it makes me feel good to see a government that is not democratic but is more concerned for its citizens than the previous government and their armed allies did. Also I do not have my head where the sun doesn't shine. Corruption is a fact of life no matter what country you are in. Yes there are a lot less corrupt but there is even more that are more corrupt. That is their business and I can do nothing about it but I still care about what goes on Thailand.

To be blunt I hear people often on Thai Visa say they don't want us here. I am quite sure their I don't care about Thailand attitude has a lot to do with the way they are treated. I never get that attitude. I try to fit in to their way of doing things and if I can't I don't get bent out of shape about it. It is their culture and many times they will try to understand my way. As long as a person fights it they will get that not wanted attitude.

Your point of view on my post has been well distorted albeit not maliciously which is why I liked your post but I think that maybe this bit from my post shows my position more clearly then the rhetoric you have used in interpreting just what it was that I said , in other words my viewpoint is clearly in line with the old words of wisdom in Charles old and well worn anecdote

From ChalieH;

"grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

This is my clearly stated POV I have edited because the other bits are not really relevant as to whether I care or not, clearly I must care or I would not have posted on the subject

"You speak a lot of common sense in your post but I do think that the phrase "dont care" is not really either accurate or appropriate because I think that most people on this forum are very similar in that they know when they can make a difference or not and on the subject of this thread foreigners simply have no effect. impact or opinion, so why bother?"

its rather like accepting something that cannot be changed, its not that I dont care its just that I along with others of the same POV know from life experience when to do something or not and in the given circumstance we are discussing I, at my tender age and tenuous legal position here in the LOS have decided that it is not within my capability or my interests to make comment publicly on the current state of affairs within Thailand

Let me paraphrase to make my position a little clearer, may seem unrelated to the current topic but it has a lot of commonalities in that I do care , in this instance about me getting my fix on the MTB

If Its raining at 5 0 am and I was planning to go riding with my mate Rob around the area , I accept that I cannot go, its not that I dont care its just that I accept the restrictions from a force that I cannot argue with or debate.

Edited by n210mp

lovelomsak

Do you really care what happens here as long the exchange rate is good and nothing disturbs your personal lifestyle.

i don't care what happens domestically and neither do i care what the exchange rates do as long as nothing disturbs my personal lifestyle.

there are persons who possess a multiple of your knowledge concerning the country's history, culture and the general attitude of its people. all that is available and can be studied in dozens of languages without mastering Thai. your claim smells not only of arrogance but also of utmost ignorance.

take that from somebody who has visited Thailand many dozens of times (starting 42 years ago) and living permanently in the country since nearly 11 years.

there are persons who possess a multiple of your knowledge concerning the country's history, culture and the general attitude of its people. all that is available and can be studied in dozens of languages without mastering Thai. your claim smells not only of arrogance but also of utmost ignorance.

take that from somebody who has visited Thailand many dozens of times (starting 42 years ago) and living permanently in the country since nearly 11 years.

My apologies if I stepped on your toes - I fail to see how my comment/opinion smells of arrogance. That most certainly wasn't my intention.

I assume that after visiting Thailand for 42 years and living here for 11, you must care about the country, the people you meet on a daily basis, your immediate surroundings and at the very least, care enough to read and comment on this topic.

No arrogance intended.

My apologies if I stepped on your toes - I fail to see how my comment/opinion smells of arrogance. That most certainly wasn't my intention.

I assume that after visiting Thailand for 42 years and living here for 11, you must care about the country, the people you meet on a daily basis, your immediate surroundings and at the very least, care enough to read and comment on this topic.

No arrogance intended.

Dr. Naam is the exception to the language/assimilation/quality of life rule.

I am like others in the fact that I only care what personally affects me. So the truth is no I don't give a rat's ass what happens to Thailand. There was a time I at least thought I cared but I came to the realization that to care is insane. You will drive yourself crazy caring when the people themselves do not care. All of the garbage on the beaches somewhat bothers me but I simply do not care anymore. I will not pick up one piece of litter here ever. The locals just laugh at why a stupid Farang would bother. Nobody else cares so I won't clean it up just so they can litter it again. That is just one example.

Thailand over the years has lost a lot of the good will people once had towards it. I know that this is the case on both sides of the fence here. Although I do seem to remember years ago people having much kinder words about Thailand and now they seem to be indifferent or in some cases waiting in glee for it's eventual demise. Full of disgruntled ex pats on their computer looking for the next place with decent weather, shopping malls and easy visas.

Ask anybody in neighboring countries what they think of Thailand. So the point JT brought up if you leave do you care about Thailand? Well the answer is some of the people that have been ripped off or just became disillusioned actually not only don't care but hold Thailand in burning contempt. I think many people that are now just on the sidelines look at Thailand as one big bag of LULZ and som nam na when they follow Thai news. Hard to find a forum with more amusing news than TV.

I wish Thailand was further away from the place I now live so I really didn't have to care. Unfortunately living in a country that borders Thailand you are obligated to care. I care about Thailand wanting nuclear power for example because they will build the plant right on the Laos border. Being neighbors with Thailand is like being in a prison block and Thailand is that big, twitchy, unpredictable guy who extorts everybody you can't get away from.

I don't care what happens to Thailand but I fear the consequences of what the fall out may bring for the rest of us in the region. I would actually love to care less.