Villa Market. Incompetent or underfunded?

DennisF

What's the best way to find out whether you live in a "Banana Republic" or not? Answer: If the stores even run out of Bananas occasionally, you know that you live in a "Banana Republic".

Cheers.

Wow, that is so intellectually analised before reaching a less than obvious concluding statement.

Thank you so much for your geniotic contribution.

analised - geniotic. Huh???

Foodland is slightly better, both in Pattaya. I buy boxes, all they have, of Pistonhead Beer, Voss Water and Marysol Chilean white wine. But they often do not re-stock for a month or more. The staff have no idea and there is no customer feedback mechanism. If they could manage stock better, it would really increase their revenue and profit. The owners obviously don't care. Nice to be in such a position.

Nothing stopping you sending them a message via the contact us button on their website, prolly wont do any good though.

http://www.foodland.co.th/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=2〈=en

Agree that stocking of some items is erratic, but the plunging baht and, in the case of US goods, the prolonged West Coast dock strike may be partially to blame for restocking of some foreign items.

I'm partial to Johnsonville sausage which used to be readily available in Villa (Pattaya) as well as Friendship and a few other locations. It's been missing in action for at least a year in all the shops. I assume that, as an example, is not solely a Villa issue. Must have something to do with suppliers or shipping issues or the strong dollar. Probably applies to other things as well.

I saw a large stock of boxed wine at the food MACRO in Pattaya, opposite the Bus Station.

A lot of it is rubbish.

There should be no reason why many of these "boxed" wines are not readily available, because a lot of them are actually produced here in Thailand, along with added fruit juice (which is why they are so cheap), by Siam winery, including one already mentioned, Mar Y Sol.

Also quite a few produced in Australia available here now, along with the added fruit juice, so there should be plenty to choose from if you like that style of "wine"...........the local Villa Market and Big C stores are always very well-stocked with these, as is the local Makro.

It would seem that stock control is an unknown entity here for many stores.

Agree that stocking of some items is erratic, but the plunging baht and, in the case of US goods, the prolonged West Coast dock strike may be partially to blame for restocking of some foreign items.

I'm partial to Johnsonville sausage which used to be readily available in Villa (Pattaya) as well as Friendship and a few other locations. It's been missing in action for at least a year in all the shops. I assume that, as an example, is not solely a Villa issue. Must have something to do with suppliers or shipping issues or the strong dollar. Probably applies to other things as well.

Don't think it's a supply problem, as they are still available in tops and gourmet market in Bangkok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for Lidl to open.

Ahhh memories!

When I lived on my boat in Spain I used to have the inevitable parties aboard.. Lidl sold a Cava at around 1 Euro a bottle.

Collecting the 10 or more crates for a champagne party was awesome and cheap ( had to get orange juice too.. cava was sheet)

Needless to say I drank only decent red wine but it was a hell of a cheap way to get a headache!!

Lets Have Lidl.. sure!

I'm glad that the subject of this generally dreadful shop (the head office shop near Soi 33/1) has been brought up.

Watch out for Villa's own pre-packed, no brand name, bacon too. They always used to show the date packed and the (frequently passed) expiry date. They then changed the system so that no dates are shown and the only way to tell the age of the contents was when you smell them when you open the packs at home. I threw a few packs away based on the unpleasant smell. I haven't bought bacon there since so can't be sure if that conning system is still in place.

Keep an eye on the label also to ensure the label corresponds with the contents, particularly in the deli section. One occasion in the past when I was buying some of their own bacon I couldn't understand why it had increased in price so much, then I saw that the label said it was roast beef priced at 900 baht/kg as opposed to 450 baht/kg for their bacon. All the bacon had roast beef labels. I took one pack to the assistant working on the fresh meat counter who was labeling more bacon packs and he corrected the label and the price. While he was doing that on the weighing/pricing machine I noticed that the bacon packs he was working on already had labels and sell-by dates, he was putting up to date labels on the old packs.

Another incident happened when I bought a fresh lasagne made by a restaurant/shop in Soi 31 and sold in Villa. when I opened it at home it has a layer of green mould on the top. I took it back the next day and they were very helpful and gave me a refund with no problems. The item I had just returned was given to one of the assistants who took it back to the deli section and placed it back for sale.

In this shop there is a side delivery entrance between the fruit and deli section. I always used to be there late/early hours when it was quiet and on 2 occasions I saw rats running in from the soi and disappearing under the veg display cabinets. Lovely place.

Tops is my choice now, particularly as the Robinsons, Soi 19 branch is open 24 hours now.

I'm glad that the subject of this generally dreadful shop (the head office shop near Soi 33/1) has been brought up.

Watch out for Villa's own pre-packed, no brand name, bacon too. They always used to show the date packed and the (frequently passed) expiry date. They then changed the system so that no dates are shown and the only way to tell the age of the contents was when you smell them when you open the packs at home. I threw a few packs away based on the unpleasant smell. I haven't bought bacon there since so can't be sure if that conning system is still in place.

Keep an eye on the label also to ensure the label corresponds with the contents, particularly in the deli section. One occasion in the past when I was buying some of their own bacon I couldn't understand why it had increased in price so much, then I saw that the label said it was roast beef priced at 900 baht/kg as opposed to 450 baht/kg for their bacon. All the bacon had roast beef labels. I took one pack to the assistant working on the fresh meat counter who was labeling more bacon packs and he corrected the label and the price. While he was doing that on the weighing/pricing machine I noticed that the bacon packs he was working on already had labels and sell-by dates, he was putting up to date labels on the old packs.

Another incident happened when I bought a fresh lasagne made by a restaurant/shop in Soi 31 and sold in Villa. when I opened it at home it has a layer of green mould on the top. I took it back the next day and they were very helpful and gave me a refund with no problems. The item I had just returned was given to one of the assistants who took it back to the deli section and placed it back for sale.

In this shop there is a side delivery entrance between the fruit and deli section. I always used to be there late/early hours when it was quiet and on 2 occasions I saw rats running in from the soi and disappearing under the veg display cabinets. Lovely place.

Tops is my choice now, particularly as the Robinsons, Soi 19 branch is open 24 hours now.

They put the lasagne back on the shelf to sell in the opened packet ?

What's the best way to find out whether you live in a "Banana Republic" or not? Answer: If the stores even run out of Bananas occasionally, you know that you live in a "Banana Republic".

Cheers.

Wow, that is so intellectually analised before reaching a less than obvious concluding statement.

Thank you so much for your geniotic contribution.

I have analised your analysis concerning my analysis above and came to the conclusion, that you probably don't agree with my post 100 %.

Cheers.

Those curry packs they sell in VM go down very well after a night on the beer. I used to get one every Monday night after the Robin Hood quiz.

You get 6 or 7 different types of curry per pack. They were cheap too, after a certain time the price came down.

Those curry packs they sell in VM go down very well after a night on the beer. I used to get one every Monday night after the Robin Hood quiz.

You get 6 or 7 different types of curry per pack. They were cheap too, after a certain time the price came down.

We are on planet Earth, thank you for dropping in. 5555

I don't think it is a VM thing. As others have pointed out, it it across the board in Thailand. However, VM does stock those hard to find items (especially Mexican ingredients) that you just won't find anywhere else. I am sure they are challenged to stock ingredients from around the world to satisfy their culturally diverse customers. I understand the frustration here, but I also understand their challenges. On top of that, there is probably no incentive system for the store managers, no training, etc., that would help keep the shelves full with items that sell out fast.

They put the lasagne back on the shelf to sell in the opened packet ?

Yes, it was in a plastic container with a snap on lid. While my refund was being organised I watched it being put back on the shelf.

With the traffic that is currently choking Pattaya I don't even bother with Villa any more, they are such a tease.

They finally have something and then won't have it again for months at a time, and as the OP stated; once they do have something in stock it sells out really fast but whoever is in charge of inventory for the chain can't seem to see that and immediately make another order

There are always articles in the English language newspapers about on time logistics, but evident'y those in the Thai Retail trade don't read or even understand the concept

It is not just Villa but I have the same problem with Tesco

What this causes is that you become a hoarder and buy more than you really need, thus exacerbating the problem