Alternatives To Thailand ?

rexall

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

your telling the story mate and its your gig but i'm very surprised to hear that the thais ignore your filo girlfriend totally.

are you sure its this bad all the time. ?

i thought the thais were welcoming to most people if approached in a friendly manner.

does your lady make an effort to be friendly with the locals. ?

cheers .

No, you've got it the wrong way round. I thought I made it clear...they ignore ME totally and start talking to my lady in Thai.

Once we were stoped by a cop and even he ignored me and started yapping to my girl in Thai. He was upset to find out she wasn't Thai so he couldn't easily negotiate a tip. I ended up paying it the normal way and saving about 300.

They want to talk to someone in Thai.

If you have a Thai girlfriend with you, and you go somewhere, are you not aware that she does all the talking?

Anyway, we're quite used to this by now...we've been here awhile. It's not a big deal, but suffice to say that at least in Pattaya, people are not friendly. If you think this is a friendly country, you've been here far too long....or you've come from a more unfriendly country.

i'm reading your post mate but i'm a bit surprised by the unfriendly thai part.

i don't live here full time but hope to in the future and have been a regular los visitor for 19 years.

i'm aussie by the way and we are a fairly friendly bunch.

i always try and be friendly to the thais and they usually reciprocate.

i've lived with the thai for an extended period and they impressed me no end.

i'm always impressed by there friendliness and always have good relationships with them but i do try hard to be positive.

i've spent very little time in pattaya so cant comment on that.

anyway,

i hope your opinions of the thai improve as there not that bad.

maybe get out of pattaya and try a place that's not so tourist-ed.

good luck and cheers. :o

I have tons of Thai guy friends, all of them with BA or in the process. Not all of them speak English either. But see I am 24, and I studied at CMU for a bit. So I have access to all sorts of different people than sa a 55yr old guy here on retirement.

That's great. Are any of them close enough that you'd consider them buds? Like, they would reveal confidences to you, and you the same?

It's usually a lot easier for younger folks to make the bonds of friendship, and school is especially conducive to making friends. Thirty and up guys get progressively cantancerous.

I've got everything I have tied up with my wife and her family and our modest property in a small town in Suphanburi. So whatever the simian reprobates at thai immigration chose to do I ain't got much choice as I have no refuge anywhere else.

however, if an angel descended from above and said 'here is your ideal expatriate package...where would you like to work?' I'd hop it back to Saigon in a heartbeat. The only scam I encountered was near Ben Thanh market where I was charged twice the going price for a bottle of local vodka. When I left the hotel and moved into a serviced flat and bought the same bottle from a shop around the corner the girl made change of 50k dong of the 100k I proffered. Made an arrangement to have her come to the building reception when requested by telephone with my order afterwards. Bars, brew pubs, restaurants of all types and a general boulevard cafe atmosphere everywhere. The swarms of motorbikes being the only drag.

District 1 in HCMC...my SE Asian paradise...

Nostrel

er ......... rather touchy subject there you touched on - but not with out merit that is the honest truth to it.

For the record - may His Majesty live long. I certainly hope I am here to experiance the changes that will take place when the inevitable takes place. Not withstanding the fact that the country will come to a complete standstill in a flash, yes - I do often wonder whether there will be a siginifcant change to foreign policy.

But back to Brasil: it seems that they 2 have latched onto this blasted 90 day business. What is it with Immigration departments the world over - is the number 90 the official world Immigration "lucky number".

Other than that, okay a slightly little more money is required but the impression is the whole thing seems to be a little more user friendly, and those who have experianced it seem to speak good of it.

Everyone I have spoken to says overall it beats Thailand hands down on all fronts.

Tim

Mon 02 Oct 06, 7:58 p.m.

Where to go when staying in Thailand becomes too much of a pain in the ass ???

Witness the seven pages (and growing) replies to the post about the so called "shakeup" in visa regulations and other restrictions and red tape necessary to stay in Thailand on a long-term basis. Some people will undoubtedly have to leave because they can no longer meet the requirements. Others may choose to leave because although they may be able to meet the requirements, the process has become too burdensome and the climate of uncertainty and insecurity too uncomfortable to deal with.

Some people have talked about Malaysia being less restrictive and more welcoming. Others describe the process in the Philippines as involving less red tape. We know that Cambodia is easy (but who can say for how long that will be the case?) and lacking in infrastructure and Western amenities (no international ATMs for example). ]

I would be interested to hear others experiences and opinions on possible alternatives to Thailand as a long-stay destination. I hear Costa Rica is nice this time of year!

Aloha,

Rex

costa rica is ok but you have to deal with hot latin blood and a lot of violence :o

Lots of interesting ideas and facts being offered in this thread. I myself am also considering moving after a love / hate relationship of 17 years with Thailand.

I have a work permit and so the new visa regs don’t seem to affect me as such, but the undercurrent that prompts these changes do, the uncertainty does, I don't have the luxury of funds to play with; I will need to work where ever I am. My problem is purely the uncertainty created by the moving goal post game. If you want to be here you probably can be, even with changes, but not the doubt that this change may become another change tomorrow. I do not expect Thailand to cater to my wants, I do not expect Thailand to care about me, it doesn't care about its own people in most cases so why should it care about me and you? Thailand does not owe me anything; I have good memories and a very few bad, mostly good. I need (and can/do) to take care of myself not expect a foreign country to do it for me and to my point, with all the doubt I feel about my future in Thailand I don't think this country is a place I can be sure of being able to take care of myself in anymore, which is sad as 17 years at 40yrs old is a large chunk of my life, almost half in fact jees that’s scary reading that! So I do not want to leave but feel that this is probably what I need to do to be able to make a future that might last longer than the time it takes some moron to think up a new law that won’t be enforced anyway. :o There will be those of you who will say then go then we don't want you. Thanks in advance. I have spent nearly half my life interacting and living in this country it is no easy thing to just up and leave despite the fact it should be. I am sure there are many other people going through the same emotional and difficult choices. So for you lucky or hard working folk who have the luxury of finance, take a second before you post your go then posts to me and many people who probably have more connections to this country other than mere money. It is not so black and white to many of us who call this country home.

What i ment to post was just this. Cambodia, Vietnam or Laos (to keep on topic), would be concidered; China as a lesser option.

Thanx Boatabike - a good balanced viewpoint.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I also get the impreson that the general consensus is that its becoming just a little bit to "much" for a lot of folk now, and the discussions regarding alternatives is something that comes up more and more frequantly.

In my case - like it or not I am here to stay. I just have to much invested to be able to up and go just because I feel like it. Though that said, if nationalsim became a an openly practised policy (and it is my opinion that underlying a lot of foregn policy, is a nationalistic theme), things are in place if I had to drop everything and leg it in 24 hrs. Oh yes, I will loose 20 years worth of hard work, but I am secure in the knowledge that my wife would stand by me, and okay, I'd loose a lot of material things, but I palnned for that years back and have sufficent off-shore to get going again.

I another memebr touched on the "what will happen when His Majesty passes on". God, who knows what will happen. It will be the most significant thing to have occured in this country for the last century. His Majesty is the only thing this country has that has remained stable and consistant for just about all who are alive to day in Thailand.

Tim

Hi All,

As a retired Navy man, I did two tours of duty in the Philippines (total of about 8 years) and I loved it there, learned how to speak the language fairly fluently and was treated extremely well. Of course, base closure became a reality in 1992 (which was a political decision) and not a very popular decision among the public at large.

Sorry I'm getting a little bit off track here, but I would definitely choose the Philippines over Thailand maybe because I'm a bit more biased towards the Philippines than Thailand. Now where to retire in the Philippines would definitely take more research and planning since I don't want to retire in the most dangerous neighborhood.

there's my 2 cents

Ciao

Mike :o

Quote from Tropo: How easy can you get by with only English? What about TV, movies, newspapers, DVD's...are there any in English?

What is the cheapest way to fly from Thailand to Brazil?

You mentioned that a tourist will get 90 days free upon arrival, which can be extended. After the extension (180 days total), must one leave? If so, can one come straight back, or must one stay away for a certain period of time?

answer: Brasil is a country that you need some basic Brasilian Portuguese to get by. Most long stayers learn some basic conversation. It is also more fun to know some basic in order for lady hunt. As for DVD, TV, movies, newspapers, everything you can think of have in English. Lots lots of DVD rentals 24 hours too.

There are so many ways to fly to Brasil mostly into Sao Paulo or Rio from Thailand. The most direct way is from Tokyo to Sao Paulo direct flight on Japan Airlies. or Kuala Lumpur to Buenos Aires then unto Sao Paulo on Malaysian Airlines, or many other connections through cities like Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Paris, Zurich, ect, or fly through USA but it takes longer.

The ticket from BKK to Sao Paulo cost about 50000 up to 65000 roundtrip. Then if you have connection in Brasil to other Brasilian cities then plus another 4000-8000.

You can get in no visa for 90 days plus free extension at the policia federal for another 90 days, then you can further extend it if you have some reasons to, or leave Brasil from one second onwards, then you can come back for another 180 days visa free. Lots of long stayers go to Iguacu fall for a vacation and walk out to Argentina side or Paraguay side to see the fall and walk back to Brasil for another 180 days visa free.

Or you can invest in Brasil PR program for 50,000USD. Buy a condo or house or open any business that you like and you can work there to make money and receive PR for all your family. My brother got his PR from buying a beach condo in Guaruja, a beach resort in coastal Sao Paulo. After receiveing PR, you have the same business rights as Brasilians. Can do any business, buy lands, buy houses, everything excepy running for polical offices and voting for elections.

Another easy way is to marry Brasilian garota, then you automatically get Brasil PR with all the rights as Brasilians except political rights. You have to wait 3-4 years to get naturalization for political rights.

Its misconception that Brasil is dangerous. Brasil is safe outside the megapolis of Sao Paulo and Rio. All the coastal cities in the states of Sao Paulo and Rio and all other coastal cities all over the country, are definitely safer than Pattaya or BKK. Lots of these beautiful beach cities like Floripa, Guaruja, Bertioga, Ubatuba, Sao Vicente, Angras dos Reis, Buzios, Cabo Frio, and hundreds more are almost crime free. Coastal cities up north like Fortaleza, Maceio, Natal, Vitoria, Aracaju ect ect are also very safe, violent crimes are much more rare than Patttaya or BKK as well.

Its misconception that Brasil is dangerous. Brasil is safe outside the megapolis of Sao Paulo and Rio. All the coastal cities in the states of Sao Paulo and Rio and all other coastal cities all over the country, are definitely safer than Pattaya or BKK. Lots of these beautiful beach cities like Floripa, Guaruja, Bertioga, Ubatuba, Sao Vicente, Angras dos Reis, Buzios, Cabo Frio, and hundreds more are almost crime free. Coastal cities up north like Fortaleza, Maceio, Natal, Vitoria, Aracaju ect ect are also very safe, violent crimes are much more rare than Patttaya or BKK as well.

Thank you for taking the time to write so much information.

The main problem I forsee with Brazil is that it's a huge country and it could take some time to decide where to settle.

Could you offer a suggestion on where to start exploring such a huge country.

Do you travel between cities by rail, road or air? Is air travel expensive?

Well I kicked the UK into touch just over two years ago.

I am very Happy where I am in Thailand, and I can honestly say that I am getting a greater circle of friends here now then I had in the UK.

macb

I have an acquaintance who lived in Udon Thani. After his relationship with a Thai lady failed he packed up and moved to Cebu, PI. He had actually found a lady there during his trips to the PI's for his tourist visas. Guess what? He would be way ahead living alone. He said that Cebu is a nice area except for the scams, pollution, dirt, traffic and poor infrastructure. Maybe the grass isn't always greener?

"Or you can invest in Brasil PR program for 50,000USD. Buy a condo or house or open any business that you like and you can work there to make money and receive PR for all your family. My brother got his PR from buying a beach condo in Guaruja, a beach resort in coastal Sao Paulo."

-------

= incorrect information! i bought two building plots in Brazil (Itaipava/Petropolis, 80 km north of Rio) and planned to settle in Brazil. investment in real estate property does NOT entitle you to obtain a residence permit. you need to invest $ 50k in an existing company or form a company and proof that you are providing new employment opportunities for brazilians.

another way is to show a goverment pension or social security income of $ 8k p.a. which entitles you to obtain a retiree residence permit.

i was refused that permit because i could not show any pension although i could prove that my income is a multiple of the amount demanded.

here's the latest:

Brazil’s National Immigration Council (“NIC”) issued Resolution 60/04 on October 6, 2004, which supersedes Resolution 28 of November 25, 1998, with respect to the issuance of permanent visas to alien investors in Brazil.

Under this new Resolution, a permanent visa allows a foreigner to live and work in Brazil with the purpose of investing his or her own foreign funds in productive activities or investing in existing activities in Brazil.

Under the new rules provided for by the 2004 Resolution, a permanent visa can be obtained by a foreigner when the following conditions are met:

• a minimum investment of $ 50,000, from individual resources in productive activities;

• the investment can be made in a new company or in an already existing business

in case anybody is interested to buy my two lots in a top gated community. both together ~12.000m² i will consider offers around 350.000 dollars (us-dollars not zimbabwe dollars)

:opost-35218-1162005490_thumb.jpg

The grass is always greener.....

Check out what's happening in Malaysia:

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,...,116160,00.html

and this is Langkawi!!

i would not of believed that if i did not read it.

that's what i call totally out of control and the government better do something about that sort of rubbish happening to tourist.

ex prime minister mahatiar lives on langkawi and he's very anti aussie but i thought the general tourist would be well left alone.

have heard nothing of this in aussie and i'm sure the press would have a field day with it.

i might just forward that to the news corp.

thanks for the info and all country's should be kicking up a storm over this.

your telling the story mate and its your gig but i'm very surprised to hear that the thais ignore your filo girlfriend totally.

are you sure its this bad all the time. ?

i thought the thais were welcoming to most people if approached in a friendly manner.

does your lady make an effort to be friendly with the locals. ?

cheers .

No, you've got it the wrong way round. I thought I made it clear...they ignore ME totally and start talking to my lady in Thai.

Once we were stoped by a cop and even he ignored me and started yapping to my girl in Thai. He was upset to find out she wasn't Thai so he couldn't easily negotiate a tip. I ended up paying it the normal way and saving about 300.

They want to talk to someone in Thai.

If you have a Thai girlfriend with you, and you go somewhere, are you not aware that she does all the talking?

Anyway, we're quite used to this by now...we've been here awhile. It's not a big deal, but suffice to say that at least in Pattaya, people are not friendly. If you think this is a friendly country, you've been here far too long....or you've come from a more unfriendly country.

ahhhh......now we hear the 'rest of the story'. Location, location, location. After just making 1 year constant living in Udon Thani I can say that the people here are indeed friendly. From what I've seen/heard the WORST element can be found at the tourist destinations. This is not a surprise nor should it be. Udon Thani IS NOT a tourist destination; nothing here for tourists. Depending on what you're into Udon can be called 'boring'. That's okay with me; I find plenty to do and travel costs in Thailand are cheap if I decide I need a trip. Nothing like: low crime, cheap housing, few traffic hassles, and healthy living away from the city. Having said that; if you're into BG, drink too much, have suicidal tendencies, I have heard Pattaya is really appealing.

In answer to the OP question - it depends what you are after! Do you want to go to a beautiful tropical island which despite over development still has some of the most beautiful spots in the world or a huge brothel full of sad old fat brits and Germans?

:o

Caught in Close Proximity for "Immoral" Acts (Khalwat)

I would like to know more about this law in Malaysia.

Does anyone on here know if this applies to foreigners living together in a defacto type relationship?

Edit:

I've just found the info I required. Apparently it only applies to Muslims.

Here's some information I found:

KHALWAT

Edited by tropo

ahhhh......now we hear the 'rest of the story'. Location, location, location. After just making 1 year constant living in Udon Thani I can say that the people here are indeed friendly. From what I've seen/heard the WORST element can be found at the tourist destinations. This is not a surprise nor should it be. Udon Thani IS NOT a tourist destination; nothing here for tourists. Depending on what you're into Udon can be called 'boring'. That's okay with me; I find plenty to do and travel costs in Thailand are cheap if I decide I need a trip. Nothing like: low crime, cheap housing, few traffic hassles, and healthy living away from the city. Having said that; if you're into BG, drink too much, have suicidal tendencies, I have heard Pattaya is really appealing.

Yes, I'll have to admit that the majority of my experience in Thailand is in Bangkok and Pattaya. I'm a tourist. I have no plans to marry or live here permanently and I'm offering my experiences as a tourist in Pattaya.

Just a small example: At my local 7Eleven and Family Mart stores the staff are so incredibly rude (unfriendly) that they never say a single word to me....and there's usually 3 or more staff in there. Never thank you, never hello (in Thai or English). Even when I make an effort to speak Thai, they don't respond...they don't even look at me. I'm a normal well dressed, friendly type of guy in my late 40's.

I've never struck this in ANY country I've been to in my entire life.

They're even friendlier in Paris!

If this is a local problem, I'm pleased to hear it...but for me, I don't like it and it really pisses me off when I make an effort to speak another language and you meet such coldness.

In the Philippines, I've never had this in 7 years,only beaming smiles where ever I go...tourist resorts or normal provincial areas.

Of course when I'm shopping in a market in Pattaya, they'll talk and often too much. When there's money involved, they'll make an effort.

here's the latest:

Brazil’s National Immigration Council (“NIC”) issued Resolution 60/04 on October 6, 2004, which supersedes Resolution 28 of November 25, 1998, with respect to the issuance of permanent visas to alien investors in Brazil.

Under this new Resolution, a permanent visa allows a foreigner to live and work in Brazil with the purpose of investing his or her own foreign funds in productive activities or investing in existing activities in Brazil.

Under the new rules provided for by the 2004 Resolution, a permanent visa can be obtained by a foreigner when the following conditions are met:

• a minimum investment of $ 50,000, from individual resources in productive activities;

• the investment can be made in a new company or in an already existing business

in case anybody is interested to buy my two lots in a top gated community. both together ~12.000m² i will consider offers around 350.000 dollars (us-dollars not zimbabwe dollars)

:opost-35218-1162005490_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your update Dr. Naam.

LOL, I think you certainly did not visit carefully (thourghtly?) Paris ... I am pretty sure a move in XVIIIth, or on the other side of the social ladder , XVI th will fullfill your dream of rude, impolite , aggressive, or simply fully arrogant people :o

I have live in several countries (mostly africa and europe), and that behavior is alas a human behavior. Mostly people who are ugly will hate those who look good, people too lazy to learn a second language(or too stupid) will hate those fluent in several, or those trying to communicate (the famous joke of the taxyman who go to Dong Muand because you asked Sukkhumvit Soi Ha rather than Shukkumvit Soi Haa ...).

The difference is in Paris the XVIII th is not a touristic spot nor the XVI th. In all the country I lived, places where tourist used to go where proud to be friendly. But back in 2002, maybe some of us remenber what was on the TV at thais time : An farang driving a car was lost in the middle of nowhere in Thailand. He check the cart/map, and suddenly see a little boy on the road side. He open the window, and ask him the direction (in a volapuck supposedly similar to the thai spoken by farang). Then the kid to answer him in a perfect queen english ... It ended with the word (in thai) everybody speak english in Thailand.

The point is more you try to communicate, more you look that this poor guy lost on the road. The best is when a waitress explain to anyone else (in thai) she can not understand you because obviously you are not spoken english ....

LOL, I think you certainly did not visit carefully (thourghtly?) Paris ... I am pretty sure a move in XVIIIth, or on the other side of the social ladder , XVI th will fullfill your dream of rude, impolite , aggressive, or simply fully arrogant people :o

I have live in several countries (mostly africa and europe), and that behavior is alas a human behavior. Mostly people who are ugly will hate those who look good, people too lazy to learn a second language(or too stupid) will hate those fluent in several, or those trying to communicate (the famous joke of the taxyman who go to Dong Muand because you asked Sukkhumvit Soi Ha rather than Shukkumvit Soi Haa ...).

The difference is in Paris the XVIII th is not a touristic spot nor the XVI th. In all the country I lived, places where tourist used to go where proud to be friendly. But back in 2002, maybe some of us remenber what was on the TV at thais time : An farang driving a car was lost in the middle of nowhere in Thailand. He check the cart/map, and suddenly see a little boy on the road side. He open the window, and ask him the direction (in a volapuck supposedly similar to the thai spoken by farang). Then the kid to answer him in a perfect queen english ... It ended with the word (in thai) everybody speak english in Thailand.

The point is more you try to communicate, more you look that this poor guy lost on the road. The best is when a waitress explain to anyone else (in thai) she can not understand you because obviously you are not spoken english ....

I'll expect a lot of defensive replies from people that love Thailand.

I'm an experienced traveller that has lived in Africa, America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. I went to school in 3 countries. I know about communication. I speak 3 languages myself.

I'm writing about my impression as a new traveller to Thailand who does't speak their language. I don't expect to convince the diehards that have taken on Thailand as their home. I'm telling it like I see it even if my comments are not appreciated by a lot of Thai lovers.

LOS is merely promotional propaganda. You can always get a smile when you're handing over cash.

Edited by tropo

Yes, I'll have to admit that the majority of my experience in Thailand is in Bangkok and Pattaya. I'm a tourist. I have no plans to marry or live here permanently and I'm offering my experiences as a tourist in Pattaya.

Just a small example: At my local 7Eleven and Family Mart stores the staff are so incredibly rude (unfriendly) that they never say a single word to me....and there's usually 3 or more staff in there. Never thank you, never hello (in Thai or English). Even when I make an effort to speak Thai, they don't respond...they don't even look at me. I'm a normal well dressed, friendly type of guy in my late 40's.

I've never struck this in ANY country I've been to in my entire life.

If this is a local problem, I'm pleased to hear it...but for me, I don't like it and it really pisses me off when I make an effort to speak another language and you meet such coldness.

In the Philippines, I've never had this in 7 years,only beaming smiles where ever I go...tourist resorts or normal provincial areas.

Of course when I'm shopping in a market in Pattaya, they'll talk and often too much. When there's money involved, they'll make an effort.

sorry to hear about your bad experiences mate but its not the norm in thailand.

dont let this blacken your views of the thai people as there a friendly lot if you make an ounce of effort.

i suggest you get your arse out of pattaya and meet some real thai that arent so affected by mass tourism.

cheers

Caught in Close Proximity for "Immoral" Acts (Khalwat)

I would like to know more about this law in Malaysia.

Does anyone on here know if this applies to foreigners living together in a defacto type relationship?

Edit:

I've just found the info I required. Apparently it only applies to Muslims.

Here's some information I found:

KHALWAT

well i wonder what there game was bothering two older farang couple. :o

sucks big time.

i suggest you get your arse out of pattaya and meet some real thai that arent so affected by mass tourism.

cheers

Yes, I may have to take your advice and get my ass out of Pattaya for a while. It seems the Thais here do very well financially and have a certain arrogance about them.

Any suggestions?

Word has it that the Australian govenment has just done some multi billion dollar deal with Cambodia.

Something along the lines of "We will give you $xxx billion and rebuild your country for you, in exchange you give us the mining rights to your country" Word is the Cambodians have said yes.

Apparantly there is a big rush now for Aussies setting up bars and stuff to cater for the influx of falangs.

The prick might have been winding me up so if any Aussies out there know otherwise it would be interesting to hear from you.

My mate terry will know coz hes a man of the world with his eyes and ears close to the dirt, whats the crack Tez ?

Im all for there being somewhere else a bit closer to home to go to for a holiday, Philippines is becoming boring now !

cheers

Yes, I may have to take your advice and get my ass out of Pattaya for a while. It seems the Thais here do very well financially and have a certain arrogance about them.

Any suggestions?

i could suggest that the far north of los would be a good place to interact with the local thai.

it gets a bit cold up december and january but if your confident you could hire a car and stop in decent digs at night.

its a bit hard because you've had such a bad run in pattaya your defenses are up so going to another tourist area seems a bit pointless.

i feel you need to get well away from the mass tourism places to maybe touch on the real thai hospitality.

january is a nice time to hit north thailand.

you could head to changmai, grab a car or whatever you feel comfortable with, and head up to changrai, maysariang, may sot, golden triangle and and spent a few weeks just pottering around up there checking out all the towns.

i've spend two weeks riding a motorcycle around up there and had a brilliant trip.

i've done this a few times.

the further you get away from chaing mai the lest tourists you will see.

the roads are good and the scenery excellent.

but truly friend,

you have to get out of pattaya as its distorting your view of thailand and its obviously not for you.

some people love it so leave it to them. :D

each to there own is the saying.

good luck and cheers :D

if you want a sea change you could always head down to koh tao and hang out with the backpackers.

some nice accommodation and the locals are friendly.

there's no fat package deal germans or a hoe mongering scene there either.

main thing you have to be careful off is that some backpacker don't drop a scuba tank on your noggin :o but the vibe is good. january feb and march is high season.

give it a crack mate. :D

Word has it that the Australian govenment has just done some multi billion dollar deal with Cambodia.

Something along the lines of "We will give you $xxx billion and rebuild your country for you, in exchange you give us the mining rights to your country" Word is the Cambodians have said yes.

Apparantly there is a big rush now for Aussies setting up bars and stuff to cater for the influx of falangs.

The prick might have been winding me up so if any Aussies out there know otherwise it would be interesting to hear from you.

My mate terry will know coz hes a man of the world with his eyes and ears close to the dirt, whats the crack Tez ?

Im all for there being somewhere else a bit closer to home to go to for a holiday, Philippines is becoming boring now !