Piccola Roma Palace --the Worst I Have Had Yet

swain

At first look this place is very classy. They treat you very well and are quick to seat you and get you menus. Prices are high but this is not important if the food is good. Sad to say this is not the case. We started off having the cream of lobster soup which seemed to consist of luke warm milk with chunks what might be confused for lobster. Next we thought would start off with a margarita pizza which was cold when it arrived and bland and the crust was cracker like. Seemed to be pre-made with tomato sauce and little cheese. Then we had fettucini alfredo and my guest had the spaghetti carbonara, both were very dry though the portion was large. Was going to get some wine but at 1300 baht for something that looked fair at best I decided to pass and had ice tea. They brought us water with out asking which in the USA is assumed to be free but they added 30 baht to the bill. Over all as far as Italian restaurants go it was severely lacking. I will not go back.

is the chef farang or thai?

it sounds like its being run by thai, or if it was set up by farang, he 'trained' the staff and is off doing something else.

good management would be the success of such a venture. constant quality control.

thais are brilliant at food, but that's thai food.

Try Lang Mo " behind CM Uni" literally. Come up Suthep rd, pass Ton Payom market intersection, then second rd on your left you will see a rustic looking sign with "Italian food" written on it. It is all cooked by a Thai bloke and his missus, and for the (very low) price it is great.. Dont bother with the pizza's but the pasta dishes are superb. Ranging from 40-90 baht...Screw the pompous farangs who think they can justify ripping people off just so they can stay here..Probably cant go back to Sicily (Cosa Nostra).. :o

[incorrectly spelled insult in Italian removed. At least learn to swear properly. Thank you. /Meadish]

I'm sorry to hear that you had a poor meal there. I've been there several times and not had these problems.

Was the italian owner not in attendence, he is usually out and about in the restaurant itself?

Did you call him, or anyone else for that matter, over to your table to complain about the food, and if so what was their reply/action?

Try Lang Mo " behind CM Uni" literally. Come up Suthep rd, pass Ton Payom market intersection, then second rd on your left you will see a rustic looking sign with "Italian food" written on it. It is all cooked by a Thai bloke and his missus, and for the (very low) price it is great.. Dont bother with the pizza's but the pasta dishes are superb. Ranging from 40-90 baht...Screw the pompous farangs who think they can justify ripping people off just so they can stay here..Probably cant go back to Sicily (Cosa Nostra)..Va fun guolo.. testa da minkia.. :o

Is that the place also known as 'M'?

I agree. Next time, go to "Da Stephano" near Thapae, small place, nice food, fair price although service is not top notch.Been there many times this last few weeks, always had fine meals...

Have to agree, I have been there once, very impressed. :D

I also like Pum Pui as well :o

Try Lang Mo " behind CM Uni" literally. Come up Suthep rd, pass Ton Payom market intersection, then second rd on your left you will see a rustic looking sign with "Italian food" written on it. It is all cooked by a Thai bloke and his missus, and for the (very low) price it is great.. Dont bother with the pizza's but the pasta dishes are superb. Ranging from 40-90 baht...Screw the pompous farangs who think they can justify ripping people off just so they can stay here..Probably cant go back to Sicily (Cosa Nostra)..:o

Is that the place also known as 'M'?

Yep. I believe the sign reads "M Cuisine, Italian .. Pizza ... Steak" and most Thais call it 'Italian Lang Maw' or 'Pizza Lang Maw'.

Da Stephano --> La Pulcinella De Stefano, Chang Moi Kao Rd, between Tha Phae and Chang Moi Rds. I ate there a few days ago for the first time in a year or so, and the food seemed to have improved in the meantime. The assorted cheese plate is something different, all aged cheeses made by the proprietor himself and unavailable elsewhere in CM.

I also like Pasta Cafe, Soi 5, Nimanhemin Rd.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a poor meal there. I've been there several times and not had these problems.

Was the italian owner not in attendence, he is usually out and about in the restaurant itself?

Did you call him, or anyone else for that matter, over to your table to complain about the food, and if so what was their reply/action?

Yes the Owner was there and I was with a my wife who would consider the dinner a total loss if I made a "scene" Her take was we tried the food, we found it lacking, we enjoyed our company and we learned something (WHERE NOT TO GO). For me, dam straight, if I was a alone I would have sent the food back and talked to the owner or manager.

Yes the Owner was there and I was with a my wife who would consider the dinner a total loss if I made a "scene" Her take was we tried the food, we found it lacking, we enjoyed our company and we learned something (WHERE NOT TO GO). For me, dam straight, if I was a alone I would have sent the food back and talked to the owner or manager.

"I was with a my wife who would consider the dinner a total loss if I made a "scene""

One doesn't have to make a scene to get ones message across. I would have asked for the manager, asked him what he thought of the food (was it satisfactory) and only if he (the manager) made a scene or refused to acknowledge/discus that the meal was not good (i.e. that it was pure shyt) I would have then explained to him very politely exactly what the results were going to be which would be that "never in the future would I step foot into his stinking restaurant ever again"

And I would tell every soul that I know to avoid the place like the plague (a bit like as in posting it on the forum)

I have also found that my wife has become a lot more assertive in letting her feelings be known if the service, food etc., is not up to scratch. And had she communicated to one of the staff they would have got the message I'm sure.

BUT anyways he has lost a few customers as I for one won't be darkening his doorstep. :o

Edited by john b good

At first look this place is very classy. They treat you very well and are quick to seat you and get you menus. Prices are high but this is not important if the food is good. Sad to say this is not the case. We started off having the cream of lobster soup which seemed to consist of luke warm milk with chunks what might be confused for lobster. Next we thought would start off with a margarita pizza which was cold when it arrived and bland and the crust was cracker like. Seemed to be pre-made with tomato sauce and little cheese. Then we had fettucini alfredo and my guest had the spaghetti carbonara, both were very dry though the portion was large. Was going to get some wine but at 1300 baht for something that looked fair at best I decided to pass and had ice tea. They brought us water with out asking which in the USA is assumed to be free but they added 30 baht to the bill. Over all as far as Italian restaurants go it was severely lacking. I will not go back.

Completely agree

This place Piccola Roma Palace is a ripp off

Run away: pretentious, even more if the owner is here

I went there 3 times (invited...so I could not escape)

I was horrified by the prices

Fish is sold by the gram. and you always get a huge one to increase the bill

and the food is so so in fact

Some other people recomend decent Italian restaurants in CM

Better choices in fact

Try Lang Mo " behind CM Uni" literally. Come up Suthep rd, pass Ton Payom market intersection, then second rd on your left you will see a rustic looking sign with "Italian food" written on it. It is all cooked by a Thai bloke and his missus, and for the (very low) price it is great.. Dont bother with the pizza's but the pasta dishes are superb. Ranging from 40-90 baht...Screw the pompous farangs who think they can justify ripping people off just so they can stay here..Probably cant go back to Sicily (Cosa Nostra).. :o

"Italian Foo" it used to be called when it was on the main road and very cheap. Now they seem to have gone upmarket. Prices still fair but the last time I was there the food wasn't so great and I had one of those not coming back here moments.

My favourite is still opposite the front gate of the Uni.

"Italian Foo" it used to be called when it was on the main road and very cheap. Now they seem to have gone upmarket. Prices still fair but the last time I was there the food wasn't so great and I had one of those not coming back here moments.

My favourite is still opposite the front gate of the Uni.

That's the Babylon Italian Restaurant. Renato who opened the place in the 70's passed away a year or so back. The place has always been very popular with Thais and Ex-pats. The food has always been good and the loyal staff have been there for at least 23 years that I know of.

I bet at 100 to 1 odds on that there are NO decent Thai resturants in Italy either.. hard to please are the Falang..Kii Bon Ik Laew...Bewar (boring)..

Sorry you feel that way but there are some very good Italian restaurants in Chiang Mai. It's worthwhile to hear other people's opinions.

I bet at 100 to 1 odds on that there are NO decent Thai resturants in Italy either.. hard to please are the Falang..Kii Bon Ik Laew...Bewar (boring)..

Sorry you feel that way but there are some very good Italian restaurants in Chiang Mai. It's worthwhile to hear other people's opinions.

I guess so.. But the fact remains.

"I was with a my wife who would consider the dinner a total loss if I made a "scene""

One doesn't have to make a scene to get ones message across. I would have asked for the manager, asked him what he thought of the food (was it satisfactory) and only if he (the manager) made a scene or refused to acknowledge/discus that the meal was not good (i.e. that it was pure shyt) I would have then explained to him very politely exactly what the results were going to be which would be that "never in the future would I step foot into his stinking restaurant ever again"

And I would tell every soul that I know to avoid the place like the plague (a bit like as in posting it on the forum)

I have also found that my wife has become a lot more assertive in letting her feelings be known if the service, food etc., is not up to scratch. And had she communicated to one of the staff they would have got the message I'm sure.

BUT anyways he has lost a few customers as I for one won't be darkening his doorstep. :o

I have been to some great places in Chiang Mai. Seems my anger over a bad experience is more of a motivation to post a review. I will try to post some of my positive experiences, as the negative are really few and far between. But when someone charges as much as they do and gives you the kind of food I got …. :D

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Buonissimo, on the Left as you head-out from the Super-Highway towards Mae-Jo, before the 2nd-Ring-Road & the new Rimping there.

We've eaten several times, no complaints about the Pizza or Lasagna, and the prices seem reasonable too. Friendly staff & big-screen TV.

They also sell imported cheese, wine, olive-oil etc.

Didn't want anyone to bring up Buonissimo, it can be a pain getting a seat there at times, ( that should be a good enough reccomendation in itself).

I have been there several times as it is very local for me, and do enjoy the food there.The pizza's they make there are the thin crust variety, which I much prefer to the Pizza hut variety.

Not only is it good value food wise, but there is also a good supply of not too expensive wine to be found there as well, have a talk to Sergio and he'll help in your choice, as they have a large variety of Italian wines.

It is well worth the visit, but not on Monday nights as the restaurant is closed then, or it used to be.(maybe someone else can confirm this last point)

Edited by mickmac

Personally i just hate and dislike RIP OFF places .

i alway do advertisment for them ... all there got to do is RIP me off one time .

and there would be on my RIP off list . whahahhaa

and this is really a good topic . when ever i met new friends and tourist who come chiangmai .

the best Part of all this is i alway get the biggest SMILE and BIGGEST THANKS you when ever i tell people where is the RIP OFF CAFE or RESTURANT . or what ever BAR . :o

SO Don't be an DUmb Ass if youw anna start a F&B here . chaingmai is really a small place and in no time you will be a FAMOUS <deleted> owner if you try to RIP people off .

Best of all . i would go try out Resturant for italian food behind CMU sound nice to me i personall like a Resturant for italian food near The Famous MAMA noodle SHop in the SOI near MOOKATA SOOM SABAI .

Personally i just hate and dislike RIP OFF places .

i alway do advertisment for them ... all there got to do is RIP me off one time .

and there would be on my RIP off list . whahahhaa

and this is really a good topic . when ever i met new friends and tourist who come chiangmai .

the best Part of all this is i alway get the biggest SMILE and BIGGEST THANKS you when ever i tell people where is the RIP OFF CAFE or RESTURANT . or what ever BAR . :o

SO Don't be an DUmb Ass if youw anna start a F&B here . chaingmai is really a small place and in no time you will be a FAMOUS <deleted> owner if you try to RIP people off .

Best of all . i would go try out Resturant for italian food behind CMU sound nice to me i personall like a Resturant for italian food near The Famous MAMA noodle SHop in the SOI near MOOKATA SOOM SABAI .

Can you clarify or translate please.

Did you say, you advertise for the Rip Off Places , but if they Rip you off 1 time , then you tell everyone that they are a Rip Off Place ?????