National Park Experience

Beng

The charge here is per person for foreigners, and in some cases, an extra charge for the car. 200 baht X 6 people in a car is 1200 baht. Divide that by the current exchange rate of 35, and you get $34 per car. And higher using the usual exchange rate of 32 baht per dollar. It's not "peanuts", "a few pennies", or "a dollar or two".

After 11 pages of this, the bottom line is, dual pricing based on nationality is discrimination...period. If you're happy with that...fine. But you can't expect everyone to be.

That said, I will be going to a National Park this weekend where the fee is 200 baht per person for foreigners. I won't whine...I'll just bend over and take it. But I won't like it.

Edited by curtklay

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a lot of replies on this post, many are quite assumptive and most I don't agree with. You seem to have an agenda... I wonder why this topic winds you up so much?

One last note....

Please permit me to say 'Thank you' to all of you who refuse to visit the national parks. It really makes it just so much nicer for those of us who enjoy them.

Be it a racist plot, a nationalistic purge, or just a way to make extra money for the Thais, frankly, I DON'T CARE. smile.png

The extra few hundred baht is no skin off my nose compared with the enjoyment I get when visiting the various parks and attraction around the Kingdom. The fact that I've been living here for 15 years and paying a few bits extra for my pleasure is simply not a hardship to me. I'm sorry if it is to you. There are far more important things in life to pay attention to than looking for ways to be unhappy.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude ABOUT the problem.

I'll answer your question, as it's a fair one...

As an American, I've chosen to live in foreign countries. I did so because I wanted to experience those countries. I didn't want to bring America with me. I didn't want to force those countries to change to meet American standards. I realized that I will never be a native of these countries, and that's OK. I didn't expect to be. I'm comfortable being a foreigner. Despite the rants of many people in ThaiVisa, I don't feel threatened by Thai culture, I don't feel that Thai culture 'targets' me for negative treatment. Nor do I feel that living within Thai culture negatively impacts my life in any way. If it did, I wouldn't stay in Thailand. Obviously, you feel differently, as you disagree with my position.

I am constantly amazed at how vociferous some TV members are about how badly they are treated by Thais, yet they stay in Thailand. Is Thailand their personal 'hangnail' to be tugged upon every time they begin to be comfortable? Yeah... 'amazed' is the correct word. I don't have enough psychological training (despite degrees in the field) to fully comprehend the motivation to stay in a situation in which they are clearly uncomfortable!

I've answered your question. Please answer mine; why would someone insist on changing a country that clearly is not their own? Why impose your Western values on a people who quite clearly don't want them? The simple answer that 'my values are the right ones' led to the extermination of countless cultures all over the world. Are you trying to do that here? If you don't like the way it is, leave. Don't try to change what the rest of the population is happy with.

I don't know why someone would do that. It's that persons reason and I don't have insight into their thinking.

Since moving here I try my best not to impose my western values on the thais as long as they don't try and impose theirs on me. I make it clear to them that I am a farang and proud to be. I'll do my best to respect their culture, but once they cross the line then it's fair play. Otherwise I blend in and in most cases adapt. Everyday I do try to learn more, meet more people and go to different places.

As much as I don't agree with over charging someone that is a foreigner, I do acknowledge it happens all over the world. As I've stated before, most of the Nat Parks and temples are not worth the price of admission... I take to the open forests and have more fun.

If this country adopted my "values", it would be one wild place...5555. But, I do meet a lot of thais that are actually interested in western culture and values and many that have been exposed to that culture actually would like to see some of that change, they don't like the way it is here.

I am not as enamored with this country as you appear to be. It's just ok... I've seen some breath taking scenery and beautiful places and none of them were in Thailand. I've made it clear in many of my posts that I am looking for other places to live in retirement. I stay here now because it's a good base of operations for SEA, when I find a new one I'll go there.

I will say, I am burned out on comments like yours, "If you don't like it, leave."

Hope I answered your questions.

Edited by Nowisee

In the US out of state tuition at public Universities has been found Constitutional (Reason, compelling need for States to take care of residents). The same States have to provide free primary and secondary education for Illegal Alien children (Reason, compelling need for Govt to protect children). Even as a liberal I find this bizarre.

Is there a statute under Thai law which prevents dual pricing based on Nationality? If not we should probably get over it.

You have a lot of replies on this post, many are quite assumptive and most I don't agree with. You seem to have an agenda... I wonder why this topic winds you up so much?

One last note....

Please permit me to say 'Thank you' to all of you who refuse to visit the national parks. It really makes it just so much nicer for those of us who enjoy them.

Be it a racist plot, a nationalistic purge, or just a way to make extra money for the Thais, frankly, I DON'T CARE. smile.png

The extra few hundred baht is no skin off my nose compared with the enjoyment I get when visiting the various parks and attraction around the Kingdom. The fact that I've been living here for 15 years and paying a few bits extra for my pleasure is simply not a hardship to me. I'm sorry if it is to you. There are far more important things in life to pay attention to than looking for ways to be unhappy.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude ABOUT the problem.

I'll answer your question, as it's a fair one...

As an American, I've chosen to live in foreign countries. I did so because I wanted to experience those countries. I didn't want to bring America with me. I didn't want to force those countries to change to meet American standards. I realized that I will never be a native of these countries, and that's OK. I didn't expect to be. I'm comfortable being a foreigner. Despite the rants of many people in ThaiVisa, I don't feel threatened by Thai culture, I don't feel that Thai culture 'targets' me for negative treatment. Nor do I feel that living within Thai culture negatively impacts my life in any way. If it did, I wouldn't stay in Thailand. Obviously, you feel differently, as you disagree with my position.

I am constantly amazed at how vociferous some TV members are about how badly they are treated by Thais, yet they stay in Thailand. Is Thailand their personal 'hangnail' to be tugged upon every time they begin to be comfortable? Yeah... 'amazed' is the correct word. I don't have enough psychological training (despite degrees in the field) to fully comprehend the motivation to stay in a situation in which they are clearly uncomfortable!

I've answered your question. Please answer mine; why would someone insist on changing a country that clearly is not their own? Why impose your Western values on a people who quite clearly don't want them? The simple answer that 'my values are the right ones' led to the extermination of countless cultures all over the world. Are you trying to do that here? If you don't like the way it is, leave. Don't try to change what the rest of the population is happy with.

I don't know why someone would do that. It's that persons reason and I don't have insight into their thinking.

Since moving here I try my best not to impose my western values on the thais as long as they don't try and impose theirs on me. I make it clear to them that I am a farang and proud to be. I'll do my best to respect their culture, but once they cross the line then it's fair play......................

Who's line? Yours? Or theirs? THAT is the crux of this entire thread.

What they're doing now is really dumb from a business perspective.

Not at all. It's actually quite smart if you understand how these things work.

Different customers have different abilities to pay. Ideally, in order to maximise profit, a business would tailor its prices individually according to each customer's financial means - so those with less money are not deterred, but those with more money pay what they can afford. However, in the real world, it's simply not feasible to means test each customer in most situations.

But, where an easily applicable criteria exists that can be used to identify groups of customers who broadly share a financial status, it's simply sound business sense to use it to set different price points. Hence things like student discounts, pensioner discounts etc.

Here in Thailand, it's broadly the case that non-Thai visitors are better off than the locals - therefore it makes sense to use this fact to set different price levels and extract maximum profits.

You might find this a little callous (welcome to capitalism), but it's certainly not dumb from a business sense.

The main point about this topic is that expats that live here are no longer able to get the Thai rate. Some of the National Parks mentioned here hardly ever see a tourist (Kun Tan, Jae Son), so losing the expats does not increase revenue unless plenty of expats still go and pay the higher rate. You would also have to take into account that expats are likely to take visitors to these parks that they otherwise would never know about.

Out of curiosity I have contacted TAT in Chiang Mai (I drive past it every day, so no great inconvenience) and Chiang Mai provincial tourist office near Governors house as well as National Parks office near Regina School on Charoen Prathet rd, which are both very close to work. The boss at TAT was busy, so I made an appointment for Tuesday and the folks at National Parks office said they will try to get an answer for me as to why the policy changed. I also called Ministry of Tourism and sports and they said they will call me back. I'm not holding my breath, but you never know, someone might provide an honest explanation as to the reasoning behind the change. After all, that is what the topic is about - resident expats no longer being able to get into local parks at regular rates.

it's very simple. It's about increasing revenues for the government.

Aren't you being a bit presumptuous in telling kjhbigv why HIS friend came to Thailand? What makes you think he came for the culture?

Maybe the ONLY reason the friend came was to see kjhbigv and the fact he lives in Thailand was just incidental - the friend would have gone to visit kjhbigv whichever country he lived in. Perhaps kjhbigv had discussed NP entry fees with his mate before trying to visit and they'd agreed the strategy. Only kjhbigv and his mate can answer those points, not me or anybody else.

My family & friends come to Thailand to see ME, occasionally. When planning a visit, they say "We want to come and see you" not "We're coming to Thailand & would like to drop in sometime during the visit". They'd never come here if I didn't live here - getting some of them to come for the first time was sometimes difficult. For various reasons, Thailand holds no interest for them - if it did, they'd come to the country whether or not I lived here. They're all old enough to have had many opportunities to visit but, until I came here, never had the desire to do so.

I'd imagine something similar could be said by most foreigners living here who have friends from 'home' to visit them occasionally.

Your presumptions are correct, my friend comes and stays at our place for a month every year to see ME and thought would go to the waterfall for something to do, as we were bored.

My friend would have been more than willing to pay the "falang" price as he is on holiday, but even for him, he was not that bothered either, been before.

I couldn't give a monkeys about seeing yet another waterfall, so no big deal not going in!

As for those saying it's only a few pennies, I reckon a LOT of Thai's are way more wealthy than I am, do they pay the higher entrance fee as their ability to pay is far greater than mine!?

Since moving here I try my best not to impose my western values on the thais as long as they don't try and impose theirs on me. I make it clear to them that I am a farang and proud to be. I'll do my best to respect their culture, but once they cross the line then it's fair play......................
Who's line? Yours? Or theirs? THAT is the crux of this entire thread.
You're in it just for the sake of argument, I have nothing more to contribute,

Ho hum... The expected answer when caught out by your own words. Let's hope "they" don't cross your line too often.

This is not unique to Thailand, many countries outside the Western world have this policy. India, Costa Rica, the list goes on. Don't see it as a Thai problem.

I worked in Canada and we did a job in Jasper a national park. Prices were high and it amazed me that the locals had to pay the same price as the tourists. They were not making more money than there counterparts in big cities.

Here in Thailand if the Thais had to pay the same price as the tourists they would not be able to afford to go. The same foreigners that complain about it will go into the western super markets and pay much higher prices than the local markets.

Edited by northernjohn

This is not unique to Thailand, many countries outside the Western world have this policy. India, Costa Rica, the list goes on. Don't see it as a Thai problem.

I worked in Canada and we did a job in Jasper a national park. Prices were high and it amazed me that the locals had to pay the same price as the tourists. They were not making more money than there counterparts in big cities.

Here in Thailand if the Thais had to pay the same price as the tourists they would not be able to afford to go. The same foreigners that complain about it will go into the western super markets and pay much higher prices than the local markets.

Thais pay 40 baht, tourists pay 40 baht. Same price. Geddit?

When I visit the "western supermarkets" here, I'm outnumbered by local Thais. Shock, horror!!

Btw, most Thai visitors to National Parks here are tourists too.

I generally carry my tax stamp, copies of my house book, and Thai driver licenses with my address if I'm out explicitly touring. The tax stamp and Thai DL usually gets me though the gates of any park at the Thai price, especially if my wife gets involved with the discussion. If they insist on double pricing me, we move along. I've seen mountains and jungles for free here in Thailand.

Nothing I've seen here impresses me half as much as the grandeur of Mt. Rainier National Park, Mt Baker, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helen's (both before and after), and the Olympic National Park where I lived in the US. And ain't no foreigners (legal or illegal) double-charged because it's discrimination and against the law. Lol.

Edited by connda

When I visit the "western supermarkets" here, I'm outnumbered by local Thais. Shock, horror!!

They can afford it because they don't have to pay tourist prices. When you go to the local markets are you out numbered by tourists buying? Geddit?

I generally carry my tax stamp, copies of my house book, and Thai driver licenses with my address if I'm out explicitly touring. The tax stamp and Thai DL usually gets me though the gates of any park at the Thai price, especially if my wife gets involved with the discussion. If they insist on double pricing me, we move along. I've seen mountains and jungles for free here in Thailand.

Nothing I've seen here impresses me half as much as the grandeur of Mt. Rainier National Park, Mt Baker, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helen's (both before and after), and the Olympic National Park where I lived in the US. And ain't no foreigners (legal or illegal) double-charged because it's discrimination and against the law. Lol.

I didn't realize there was a charge for those places.

You missed Mount Shasta in northern California.

I loved that drive up and down I-5 from the Siskyous Mountains to Lake Shasta (which I'm assuming is pretty dry nowadays sadly). Then upteen hours of boredom down the Central Valley when headed to either the Bay Area or SoCal.

They can afford it because they don't have to pay tourist prices. When you go to the local markets are you out numbered by tourists buying? Geddit?

<deleted> are you on about?

Logging roads are your friends. There are lots of ways to get into all the Mountain parks, generally via logging roads or trail-heads off the main roads. The only way you get charged is if you drive right up to the main park entrances. Some of the areas are not parks, but National, state, or private forests (Weyerhauser), or Indian reservation, but they will give you egress to the parks. Indian reservation land? You need an invite or know folks. I had friends on the Taholah Reservation on the Olympic Peninsula and I logged in that area in my younger days. Some things I miss such as this. A lot of things I don't.

I went to Khao Yai last week. I always enter from Prachinburi. I always speak in Thai to the officials. Previously they would always prod the conversation in a direction I liked. "Do you live in Thailand?" "Have you got a Thai driver's licence?" I would always get the Thai price (without asking).

This time I was immediately charged 400 Baht, the girlfriend 20 Baht. I didn't argue, try to negotiate or query the price. I knew there has been a new order. I just paid it.

I am just stating my witnessing of the policy change.

Nothing I've seen here impresses me half as much as the grandeur of Mt. Rainier National Park, Mt Baker, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helen's (both before and after), and the Olympic National Park where I lived in the US. And ain't no foreigners (legal or illegal) double-charged because

I didn't realize there was a charge for those places. Lol.

Forgot to ask as a boy growing up in what is now known as Shoreline adjacent to Seattle do you miss the rain? I would like to thank you for stopping a lot of the rain before it got across Puget Sound to us. Working outside was bad enough with what got through the Olympic National Park.

Edited by northernjohn

I went to Khao Yai last week. I always enter from Prachinburi. I always speak in Thai to the officials. Previously they would always prod the conversation in a direction I liked. "Do you live in Thailand?" "Have you got a Thai driver's licence?" I would always get the Thai price (without asking).

This time I was immediately charged 400 Baht, the girlfriend 20 Baht. I didn't argue, try to negotiate or query the price. I knew there has been a new order. I just paid it.

I am just stating my witnessing of the policy change.

I would have pulled a 'Uey' and headed the opposite direction. Take the GF out to a nice dinner instead. I've been to the main park. I've seen it once, I'm good.

Anyway, I have mountains around our home, the Khun Tan range. If we need cool, it comes down to us, morning and evening. Need to go somewhere high? Hike. Hell, I live in a valley bordered on all sides by Doi Khun Tan National Park (elv 1363m). Our land butts up against the park. I don't pay a satang to enter the main gate.

Nothing I've seen here impresses me half as much as the grandeur of Mt. Rainier National Park, Mt Baker, Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helen's (both before and after), and the Olympic National Park where I lived in the US. And ain't no foreigners (legal or illegal) double-charged because

I didn't realize there was a charge for those places. Lol.

Forgot to ask as a boy growing up in what is now known as Shoreline adjacent to Seattle do you miss the rain? I would like to thank you for stopping a lot of the rain before it got across Puget Sound to us. Working outside was bad enough with what got through the Olympic National Park.

Since 14, I've lived all over the state. Spent my younger years 1960s - 1980s in Western WA: from Bellingham down to Chehalis and 5 years in the Aberdeen-Hoquim area. Aberdeen-Hoquim were brutal as far as rain and that dismal, constant, grey, cold, heavy mist, that was your constant companion during the winter. I liked Bellingham the best: Banana belt. The Olympic Peninsula and the San Juan Islands milked a good portion of the rain out of the clouds. Lived there in the 1970s. Went back about 10 years ago and was amazed at the build-up. Just not the same place. Spent the last 14 years prior to moving to Thailand living in the Tri-cities. We didn't worry too much about rain. The Cascades took care of that. But like Aberdeen-Hoquim, in the winter we'd get inversion layers where clouds would persist for what seemed to be weeks on end. Grey, cold, and dismal. I do not miss that. However, I was a professional ski instructor up at White Pass, so I left the grey-doldrums during the weekends and headed for the mountains. I miss skiing too. Probably the most.

Sorry mods. A little off topic as we reminisce. Consider it comparing and contrasting with Thailand. :)

Edited by connda

I am surprised that anybody (although the minority) on this forum defends this dual pricing policy. Would be interesting to know what percentage of Thais would even defend it ! I think it is extremely hard to defend the policy in a logical and constructive way which is why (i suspect) some of those that are defending choose to do so either with arrogance or blatant insults (whinger, cheapo, only a few dollars etc, etc). I also suggest that the argument that if you do not like an element of a country you are visiting or living in then don't visit there / live there is archaic.

I am surprised that anybody (although the minority) on this forum defends this dual pricing policy. Would be interesting to know what percentage of Thais would even defend it ! I think it is extremely hard to defend the policy in a logical and constructive way which is why (i suspect) some of those that are defending choose to do so either with arrogance or blatant insults (whinger, cheapo, only a few dollars etc, etc). I also suggest that the argument that if you do not like an element of a country you are visiting or living in then don't visit there / live there is archaic.

I'm surprised that anyone cares enough to go on and on and on about this, over and over and over again but they do. The only reasonable explanation for this is that the individuals doing the whining have so little cash that $2-$10 is a huge amount of money for them. If this was not the case, they'd work on the system that capitalism is and decide whether or not to pay for something based on their perception of the value they will recieve for their money.

The minimum wage here is about $250 a month. Of course Thais should get a discount when compared to foreigners - even if some Thais have money. But that's too much to comprehend for the Western pauper clinging on to any reason at all to complain about a minor inconvenience.

From the Posts it is clear that the primary concerns over dual pricing relate to discrimination / principle. I guess the continuing whinger / pauper insults are a wind up.

No they don't. They relate to cost dressed up as "principle" including the laughable attempt to suggest that a couple of bucks is an infringement of human rights. This thread has made it very clear that principle has very little to do with this. It's purely a tightwad thing. And again, that's fine - you don't have to spend money in these places, it's your choice not to do so.

But... whining in expat forums? It's not going to change the government's mind about this policy one iota.

From the Posts it is clear that the primary concerns over dual pricing relate to discrimination / principle. I guess the continuing whinger / pauper insults are a wind up.

No they don't. They relate to cost dressed up as "principle" including the laughable attempt to suggest that a couple of bucks is an infringement of human rights. This thread has made it very clear that principle has very little to do with this. It's purely a tightwad thing. And again, that's fine - you don't have to spend money in these places, it's your choice not to do so.

But... whining in expat forums? It's not going to change the government's mind about this policy one iota.

Noticing that quite often the people who complain the loudest, also complain about so very many other facets of Thailand living so often.

It's as if any excuse will set them off, allowing them the opportunity to bitch and moan yet again, usually dressing the complaint up as Thai versus Foreigner, usually blowing the situation way out of proportion.

Farang persecution, farang targeting, faring overcharged, farang not cared for, farang abuse... to them, just one more opportunity to complain about something.

Again, I wonder why they stay!

The name calling and innuendo is used by a segment of society that can't form a logical or rational position, or who are familiar with Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. Look them up.

But the name calling and innuendo. Why use it? Why is it effective?:

Rule 5:

“Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.

That's why. It's very hard to counter. How do you counter it. Shrug it off, or deliberately use the same tactic, but with subtly that (to parrot Saul's word) the enemy can't comprehend, or if they do, it really is infuriating when they see you're playing the same game, but at a more sophisticated level.

Although I've slipped at times, I try not to use direct, abusive name calling. I consider it a sign of a rather weak mind and low IQ. whistling.gif

You mileage may vary. biggrin.png

Edited by connda

Noticing that quite often the people who complain the loudest, also complain about so very many other facets of Thailand living so often.

It's as if any excuse will set them off, allowing them the opportunity to bitch and moan yet again, usually dressing the complaint up as Thai versus Foreigner, usually blowing the situation way out of proportion.

Farang persecution, farang targeting, faring overcharged, farang not cared for, farang abuse... to them, just one more opportunity to complain about something.

Again, I wonder why they stay!

You forgot they don't want us here. Seems to be one of the favorites for the Thai Bashers.

rogeroc, on 01 Nov 2015 - 20:55, said:snapback.png

I think it is extremely hard to defend the policy in a logical and constructive way...

Then you didn't read the thread.

Of course i read the thread otherwise i would not comment. In view of your comment though i have read all of yours again! You must have been referring to someone else's Post then?

But i did see some insults. I though this one was the worst 'Still, you've got to laugh at someone who'll drive for an hour and a half then just turn round and go home rather than spend a couple of dollars'

If somebody did this it would clearly not be a matter of a few dollars but a matter of principle. And you would laugh at them for having principles !!