National Park Experience

Beng

If you do not like the price, do not go, nobody is forcing you.

How many hours did you spend contemplating, before coming up with that master-piece? There are some interesting points raised by the removal of the privelege that was previously afforded expatriates (namely getting the local rate by showing a Driving Licence or Work Permit), but if you want to reduce it to a school-yard argument then go do it in the playground.

Over the years I have taken many a visitor to National parks and appreciated the small gesture of not having to pay the tourist rates, especially at parks where the entrance fee was 400b or more. Removing that privilege is not the end of the world, but some of us are intrigued enough to want to discuss it and maybe try to do something about it. I have had a meeting with the Director of TAT , and made an enquiry at National parks Office, both of which I pass regularly on my travels, so no great inconvenience was involved, and look forward to a positive response.

Also, for those of us with a wife, children, grand-children and Thai friends, having a day out can sometimes be a little bit embarrassing. To be singled out for special treatment by having to join another line or pay a higher fee should not be part of the routine, and until recently, wasn't. If it is possible to go back to the way it was, why would we not want to do that? I take the issue as being not merely about the price, but rather as my being recognised as being part of the community I have lived in for 26 years.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spoken with my Chinese neighbour. He told me he and his Chinese family have always payed the Thai price,adding that he has always visited the NP with Thai friends, whSo would make the actual payment. Therefor it cannot be racial discrimination, according to some posters on here.

Trying to blend in with the locals, or pretending to be Thai doesn't really say much about the policy, other than the fact that some people can whilst others clearly can't.

It isn't racisl discrimination, it is discrimination based of Nationality. The official policy distinguishes between citizenship only - Thai or non-Thai. Malays, Burmese, Cambodians are all the same race, but different nationality, just as English, Dutch, German, French are all the same race, but different nationalities.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

How many hours did you spend contemplating, before coming up with that master-piece? There are some interesting points raised by the removal of the privelege that was previously afforded expatriates (namely getting the local rate by showing a Driving Licence or Work Permit), but if you want to reduce it to a school-yard argument then go do it in the playground.

Over the years I have taken many a visitor to National parks and appreciated the small gesture of not having to pay the tourist rates, especially at parks where the entrance fee was 400b or more. Removing that privilege is not the end of the world, but some of us are intrigued enough to want to discuss it and maybe try to do something about it. I have had a meeting with the Director of TAT , and made an enquiry at National parks Office, both of which I pass regularly on my travels, so no great inconvenience was involved, and look forward to a positive response.

Also, for those of us with a wife, children, grand-children and Thai friends, having a day out can sometimes be a little bit embarrassing. To be singled out for special treatment by having to join another line or pay a higher fee should not be part of the routine, and until recently, wasn't. If it is possible to go back to the way it was, why would we not want to do that? I take the issue as being not merely about the price, but rather as my being recognised as being part of the community I have lived in for 26 years.

Nicely said and true.

I had a conversation with the people at the National Parks office today and an interesting idea came to me about what was said. Basically, the young lady there said that the rule has always been that the pricing is based purely on Nationality - one price for Thais, and another price for non-Thais. She accepted that for many years foreigners had been getting the local rate by producing, in effect, proof of residence but that this was no longer allowed. I then pointed out that although the rules hadn't changed, there had been a policy of giving the local rate to resident foreigners, and that since it was almost universally observed, that policy must have come from above, and that policy had now changed, not the rules. My question was ..... why had the policy changed?

When I thought about Folkguitar's quite reasonable argument that we shouldn't enforce our ways on the Thais, or get them to change to suit us, it crossed my mind that the previous arrangements were classic Thai ways, and the new rigid enforcement of rules and regulations is more of a Western way. They had a rule - "Thai or non-Thai" , recognised that it was in some ways unfair to foreigners living here, and took a very typical Thai approach to it, namely The Middle Path. They bent the rule slightly and treated foreigners living here differently to foreign visitors. So, interestingly, this change of Policy, of strictly following the rules, is more akin to Western values than Thai!! Something to think about, and more likely than not, argue about....

One more point, the director of TAT asked if I was a member of the Chiangmai Expats Club, which I'm not. I wonder if he was suggesting that their collective voice might hold some weight? Over to you NancyL.

That's my problem with this policy. My kids see me treated differently to them and their mother. I'm spoken to differently. I'm not respected the same as Thais. I understand why it's happening and can deal with it, but I don't want my kids to witness this.

I completely avoid being put in this position if I can; however, we've visited places and not expected the dual pricing. My wife loves the King Naresuan series of propaganda movies and wanted to visit the set which is located just outside Kanchanaburi. It's been turned in to a sort of theme park. I wasn't expecting dual pricing but there it was. I refused to enter, had an argument with the manager, waited in my car for the family in the car park and pissed all over the floor of the toilet. Nobody enjoyed the experience especially the manager who I got to lose his temper.

As noted in my posts, I am opposed to dual pricing as it is discriminatory and offensive.

But I must say, I think you dealt with the situation in the worst way imaginable.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by curtklay

.............................................. I wasn't expecting dual pricing but there it was. I refused to enter, had an argument with the manager, waited in my car for the family in the car park and pissed all over the floor of the toilet. Nobody enjoyed the experience especially the manager who I got to lose his temper.

I am absolutely gob-smacked that an adult would do such a thing, to say nothing of actually bragging to the public that he had done it. Remarkable!

It isn't racisl discrimination, it is discrimination based of Nationality.

It's neither - it's discrimination based on presumed ability to pay. Nationality is just a convenient indicator.

nonsense.

If that were true, backpackers would be charged the lower fee and hi-so, waiting in their benz or beamer, Thais the higher one. That never happens.

It isn't racisl discrimination, it is discrimination based of Nationality.

It's neither - it's discrimination based on presumed ability to pay. Nationality is just a convenient indicator.

nonsense.

If that were true, backpackers would be charged the lower fee and hi-so, waiting in their benz or beamer, Thais the higher one. That never happens.

As has been repeatedly pointed out, it's not a perfect method. They're not going to means test every single person that approaches a national park entrance.

Just as there are rich students and pensioners that still qualify for discounts in other countries.

That's my problem with this policy. My kids see me treated differently to them and their mother. I'm spoken to differently. I'm not respected the same as Thais. I understand why it's happening and can deal with it, but I don't want my kids to witness this.

I completely avoid being put in this position if I can; however, we've visited places and not expected the dual pricing. My wife loves the King Naresuan series of propaganda movies and wanted to visit the set which is located just outside Kanchanaburi. It's been turned in to a sort of theme park. I wasn't expecting dual pricing but there it was. I refused to enter, had an argument with the manager, waited in my car for the family in the car park and pissed all over the floor of the toilet. Nobody enjoyed the experience especially the manager who I got to lose his temper.

And you kids had to witness this?

Urinating on the floor so that some poor sap who has nothing to do with dual pricing could clean it up? Nice. Not.

It just goes to show - it really is all about the money. People only behave that badly when money or sex are involved.

Some people behave badly without a reason. Seen it often enough.

Understand your frustration at this policy, however you should not have made the manager angry,it's not his fault,he's just following orders, the same for the toilet cleaner. What you should have done is voiced your displeasure at this discrimination in a polite manner, then returned to your car and left, along with your family who Should have stood by you.

.............................................. I wasn't expecting dual pricing but there it was. I refused to enter, had an argument with the manager, waited in my car for the family in the car park and pissed all over the floor of the toilet. Nobody enjoyed the experience especially the manager who I got to lose his temper.

I am absolutely gob-smacked that an adult would do such a thing, to say nothing of actually bragging to the public that he had done it. Remarkable!

Justified, he was angry because he didn't want to be embarrassed in front of his kids. Surpasses remarkable!

Justified, he was angry because he didn't want to be embarrassed in front of his kids. Surpasses remarkable!

Would that sort of behavior embarrass him even further?

Would that sort of behavior embarrass him even further?

Nice to know you are so concerned about me. giggle.gif

<< I'm not respected the same as Thais. I understand why it's happening and can deal with it, but I don't want my kids to witness this..........and pissed all over the floor of the toilet. >>

Sad individual

<< I'm not respected the same as Thais. I understand why it's happening and can deal with it, but I don't want my kids to witness this..........and pissed all over the floor of the toilet. >>

Sad individual

With the moronic behaviour of some farangs it is no wonder Thai people are wary of foreigners. These sort of people don't deserve respect from anyone in any country.

Wife and I went to Khao Yai on 11 November and I had to pay the falang price of B400. They did have a special promotion for Thais, a 50% entrance fee discount, so my wife got in for B20. As usual we entered from the Prachinburi side and this was the first time I had to pay the full price in many years. We go camping there several times a year and I intend to still go even at the increased price.

Edited by Spaniel