Cambodia Trip Overland from Thailand (and back again) - Visas?

Hi all,

I'm going to be taking a holiday in Thailand with my partner this Christmas. Whilst there I'd like to hop across the border to Cambodia and visit Angkor Wat as it's something I've always wanted to see.

Can anybody explain to me what I need to do with respect to Visas?

I'll be flying into Thailand (and out again) on my UK passport and on pre booked flights, I so can show evidence of an onward journey.

I suspect I'll be getting some kind of visa on arrival (upon landing at BKK) that's valid for 30 days, but I'm not sure what I need to do to enter Cambodia from Thailand, and then leave Cambodia to re enter Thailand after 5 days or so.

Any help you're able to provide would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Andy

Edited by rushandy

A visa is required for Cambodia. This can be arranged quickly at the border (US$30) or you can arrange an e-visa online for a little more money. The only real advantage IMHO of the e-visa is that it saves a page in the passport (signficant for frequent travelers who use up pages at an alarming rate). Returning to Thailand with another visa exempt entry should be fine with your evidence of a flight back to the UK within 30 days.

You should obtain a tourist visas for Thailand prior to leaving home.

The visa will allow an initial 60 day stay which is extendable by 30 days at any immigration office.(1900 Bht)

A re-entry permit , again obtainable from an immigration office (1000 Bht), would allow you to exit Thailand for a short time and return to enjoy the remainder of your allowed stay.

Edited by oncearugge

Assuming you have not visited Thailand often in the past, and only intend a visit of 30 days or less, I personally do not see any advantage (only extra work and expense) in getting a visa for Thailand. Visa exempt entries are specifically designed to make short holidays in Thailand convenient. It is different if you have recently spent a lot of time in the country, or intend to stay for a longer period on this occasion. Then, an actual visa might be more prudent.

Thanks both.

I'm going to go with the approach you suggested Tim. The last time I visited Thailand was a couple of years ago, so I doubt I'll be considered a 'border hopper' just trying to extend my stay.

Any advice as to which documents I should have with me when I try to enter Cambodia / re enter Thailand? I'll have copies of the flight tickets with me. Would anything else be beneficial?

Thanks

Andy

The flight tickets should be enough but, to be extra safe, you could have 20,000 baht on you. In theory, they can ask to see this, though they almost never do in practice.

EDIT: if applying for the Cambodia visa at the border, have US$. It will be quite a bit more if you pay in baht. They may ask for more than US$30 for the visa. If they do, quietly but firmly (with a friendly smile) say no.

Edited by BritTim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a question similar to Andy's, yet presenting a further complication. I am leaving for Thailand on 25 Dec., 2015. I also want to go to Angkor overland, and later re-entry Thailand from Cambodia by flight.

The dates of my flights (Italy to Thailand and return) are:

Italy to Bangkok 25 Dec., 2015

Bangkok to Italy 28 Jan., 2016

That is, over 30 days in total. However, I will leave Thailand for Cambodia on a bus journey around 1 Jan., and will return to Bangkok by flight (already booked) on 9 Jan. That means I will still have to spend 19 days in Thailand before my return flight to Italy. That also means neither of my two stays in Thailand will exceed 30 days -- hence, I need no visa. Yet, the Consulate of Thailand in Venice (the city where I live) told me I ought to apply for a tourist visa as the period of 34 days comprised between my onward and return flights could be a problem -- not so much for Thai Immigration as for the air company (= Etihad) staff at the time of check in in Italy. I was told they could refuse to check me in at the airport if I have no visa.

Is this possible, in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for a kind reply, and best wishes.

Francesco

It is possible the airline company could give you a hard time. If you look affluent, after discussion with the supervisor, you will almost certainly be allowed to check in. They may want you to sign a form that indemnifies them against financial loss should Thai immigration insist they repatriate you (which definitely would not happen). I have many times entered Thailand visa exempt without an onward ticket within 30 days, but the airline would be within its rights to refuse boarding. A visa is an option if you want to avoid discussion. Another option is a refundable ticket to a neighboring country.

Edited by BritTim

... EDIT: if applying for the Cambodia visa at the border, have US$. It will be quite a bit more if you pay in baht. They may ask for more than US$30 for the visa. If they do, quietly but firmly (with a friendly smile) say no.

Agreed on using $USD. As it sounds as if you will be crossing at the Poi Pet border (on the way to Angkor from Thailand). Standard practice at that office is to include a 100-Baht note along with the $30. This will save haranging, threats and/or intimidation, and, at the very least, a long wait for your visa. It is, of course, your call to play "anti-corruption hero" in a foreign land for less than $3. Or, you could go the E-Visa route, and pay $5 (~175 Baht) extra - which allows you to skip that office entirely and go straight to immigration check-in, just down the street.

Also, regardless of whether you have an e-Visa or not, insist to your transport on the Thai side of the border that you DO have an e-Visa already, and therefore Do Not need a visa for Cambodia.

Edited by JackThompson

I prefer the e-Visa route if using Poipet. I know it costs more but I don't mind paying the extra to minimise the time I spend at Poipet. It can be a real pain in the ass on a busy day, so I prefer to have the Cambodian visa before I get there.