TOT Wifi

dageurreotype

I've just signed up and had my new modem reconfigured for TOT Wifi. My PC is of course connected to this modem via LAN also, but my new notebook is incapable of sending pictures, upload/download buttock crunchingly slow so must revert to PC. Bit of a bummer as I'd thought spanky new notebook would enable me to share pics of my somtum with UK chum.

Anyone can confirm the slowwwwness of TOT Wifi is the cause? I've tried several times from same location, so it's not that. Thanks.

No problem with them since I changed to Fiber Optic. I don't think it's your internet, it's your laptop settings.

It's not a laptop it's a Samsung Galaxy J7 notebook/smartphone, whatever it's called. I'm new to all this. No Luddite but had not the will to be constantly connected. However, can exercise control, just needed a backup device and rather than a laptop I'd opted for this thing from which I can also make calls. The manual gives basic instructions but not the most (and IMV most important) instructions such as this Wifi problem (yes, it is connected) or how to even bring up the keyboard when attempting a search/compose text. I've sat through hours of YT vids and each and every one of them skips over simple things like this. So, if it's the Wifi connection, how do I find out, and how to bring up the bloody keyboard? biggrin.png

Well thanks for all your replies, some of which suggesting I flash out on yet more routers or fiddle about with internet settings which wouldn't have solved the problem anyway. I'm quite sure you'll all be jolly pleased to learn I've managed to relatively speedily send images via What'sApp smile.png LostinIsaan's suggestion of 'fiber optic', whatever that is, sounds promising but really not up to bunging out yet more dosh on something that was just meant to serve as a backup. Thanks all anyway coffee1.gif

I believe it's a bit difficult for the forum to respond given so few details about your Internet service, type of router in place, and the devices (and their OS) used to connect.

I also believe you're misusing a term, "TOT WiFi", to describe your subscription Internet service. TOT provides a wired service via ADSL, VDSL, SDSL, or FTTx (Fiber Optic), and TOT WiNet (wireless broadband). A residential Modem/Router then conveys that connection to your connected devices, over ETHERNET or WiFi. Here, WiFi is not a 'service', but an alternative method of connecting devices to your residential Modem/Router. To further confuse the issue, many Mobile Phone operators and ISPs will also offer 'WiFi Hotspot Service', using WiFi Access Points. Some people may subscribe to 'WiFi' HotSpot service, but this is not the same as your Modem Router having WiFi capability.

You also mentioned having a new 'notebook', but didn't say until much later that it was a "Samsung Galaxy J7 notebook/smartphone", and according to the 'Internet' is running Android version 5.1.1 ... most people don't think of android when discussing notebooks.

Sometimes a little fiddling of equipment settings is required when connecting an android smartphone to a home network.

If you're still experiencing issues, post back.

Archived