Visa run with my thai kids

Kids are on holiday at the moment and i need to do a visa run by 1st Nov, going to incorporate it with a few days away give them a break so thinking about going to either Ko Chang then border bounce to Cambodia or Kanchanaburi and then border to Burma.

neither of then have passports i only have there birth certs so does anybody have any experience whether they will mind them just walking through and back with me without the need for them to stamp out/in and if so which of those borders would be the best?

Thanks

My wife and kids popped over the border last week at Chong Mek in to Laos to do some duty free shopping. The 3 of them used their Thai IDs and filled in the paperwork for a visit (over and back in same day)...someone did the paperwork for them for b60 total. You don't state if your kids are farlang, luuk khrung or thai - if luuk krung or thai couldn't you apply for thai ids for them. If your kids are farlang, no passport, I think it's unlikely thai immigration would let them out or Cambodia let them in.

If you do your border trip at the Trat border, and assuming you're only popping out and back in to thailand, couldn't they wait with the wife (forget the name of that border post but it's a very small thai town)?

EDIT: OK see in the subject they are thai kids, so thai ids or thai passport (latter doesn't take long to do...office on srinakarin not far from seacon).

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Be aware that the border at Hat Lek is actually quite a long way from Ko Chang. You might consider (especially if you have your own transport) doing your border hop at one of the crossings in Chantaburi province on the way to Trat. There is not a lot to see or do at these crossings, but they are relatively quiet and laid back.

As far as I know the Hat Lek border crossing is the closest one to Koh Chang/Trat. At least, that's what I've been doing for the last 7 years (I live in Trat).

It,s an hours drive from Trat market, just pop over to Cambodia, let some "helper" take care of the business for you (50/100 baht), and walk the 300 meters back to Thailand. My wife and son always wait for me at the Thai side, lots of little shops and restaurants. 20 minutes tops.

PS: In the past my wife could just walk across to cambodia after paying 300 baht to "a helper".

As far as I know the Hat Lek border crossing is the closest one to Koh Chang/Trat. At least, that's what I've been doing for the last 7 years (I live in Trat).

It,s an hours drive from Trat market, just pop over to Cambodia, let some "helper" take care of the business for you (50/100 baht), and walk the 300 meters back to Thailand. My wife and son always wait for me at the Thai side, lots of little shops and restaurants. 20 minutes tops.

PS: In the past my wife could just walk across to cambodia after paying 300 baht to "a helper".

I'd agree with your comments. We often stay at Centara Trat, which is about halfway between Trat and Hat Lek border crossing. Lovely hotel, brilliant for families with kids, poster might consider a night here for a pleasant stay and convenient for border trip.

]

I'd agree with your comments. We often stay at Centara Trat, which is about halfway between Trat and Hat Lek border crossing. Lovely hotel, brilliant for families with kids, poster might consider a night here for a pleasant stay and convenient for border trip.

]

When we previosuly went on a visa run we dont even need to go in to cambodia, we literally stamp out go this little place have a coffee while they do the forms and stamp in/out, is this also the case at Hat Lek? Google maps tells me the one they visa teams (which i used before) go to is Phsar Prom.

I think Thais must use a passport going into Cambodia. To Burma, however only ID is acceptable.

This is what i am wondering because when i go on visa runs to cambodia especially the ones near to pattaya/koh chang although i technically have visited as it says in my passport i never actually set foot in the place, i just wait while the helpers do it..

I would imagine that would be ok to have the kids in there, do you think? The kids dont have a passport and are not old enough for ID cards (7, 5) so all i have is there birth certificates as ID.

I am going alone as me and wife are separated and she wont have them for the day so not sure what to do!

Passports for Cambodia will be needed. Border pass or passport for Laos are fine. Dunno about Myanmar.

For the passport (and I assume the border pass) you'll need both parents to sign off on the application so you'll need to organise something with your wife on that front, otherwise your kids aren't going anywhere.

As for your oldest, as they are 7 they are eligible for an ID card.

2 day ago at chiang khong the guy say your son no have 12 year old cannot have border pass, he got 5 year and his passport expire in 15 november and at lao immigration they say he need to have 6 month but i say to them i just go and back not go to laos and they let me go with my son

Could somebody please advise on the current situation at the Had Lek border. I havent been there for years but it was always a battle with the scammers and overcharging nonsense in the past.

The reason I am asking is that despite all the hassles there, I quite liked the trip and even a night or two in Koh Kong and may decide to go again when I am due a visa run next. What are they now charging for a Cambodian visa for instance?

Could somebody please advise on the current situation at the Had Lek border. I havent been there for years but it was always a battle with the scammers and overcharging nonsense in the past.

The reason I am asking is that despite all the hassles there, I quite liked the trip and even a night or two in Koh Kong and may decide to go again when I am due a visa run next. What are they now charging for a Cambodian visa for instance?

Scammers and overcharging is the order of the day all along the cambodian border, i'm afraid!

I feel quite comfortable to hand over my passport to one of the "helpers", who then proceeds to fill out the various forms.

Costs at Hat Lek: 20 baht "medical inspection", 1200 baht for visa, 300 baht for "same day return", 50/100 baht for helper.

And there is no getting out under off, you can try smart alecking them with a cambodian visa that you can buy over the internet (cheaper!), but they will give you a very hard time.

Best is to just bend over and take your punishment as intended.