Cash Withdrawals - ATM's

deano1103

Every bank charges 180 baht per withdrawal. Thus, withdraw as much as possible. With a foreign card you will be limited to 20-25k baht per withdrawal. Be sure to tell your home bank that you are travelling and ask what your limits are and how often. Also consider getting a cash advance from a credit card at a bank. I did that once when my account was empty and was stunned at how cheap it was (assuming you pay off the credit card debt in a timely manner). I have forgotten the details, sorry, but it was a Canadian Visa at Bangkok Bank.

Yes go to the bank and go inside to get your cash with your Visa. No ATM charge and you get the Visa rate.

I go every month and get enough money with my Visa card for the month.

They build in a 50 THB fee into the exchange rate, but it still saves you at least 100 thb.

what do you mean ? go inside the bank and give the visa card to the bank guy ? can you explain me :)

As your UK based the best holiday cash is to get a Halifax clarity card - it has zeros fees for withdrawing cash or spending - just the standard exchange rate.

They do charge interest on cash withdrawals but it's daily and if you clear it as soon as you return it can be less than other cards fees.

If you go to money saving expert website it breaks down why its the best and lists the others that come in after wards.

Might be to late to apply and get one.

Thailand is as safe as your gonna get so bringing a small wad of 50s isn't such a big deal. just be sensible.

Every bank charges 180 baht per withdrawal. Thus, withdraw as much as possible. With a foreign card you will be limited to 20-25k baht per withdrawal. Be sure to tell your home bank that you are travelling and ask what your limits are and how often. Also consider getting a cash advance from a credit card at a bank. I did that once when my account was empty and was stunned at how cheap it was (assuming you pay off the credit card debt in a timely manner). I have forgotten the details, sorry, but it was a Canadian Visa at Bangkok Bank.

Yes go to the bank and go inside to get your cash with your Visa. No ATM charge and you get the Visa rate.

They build in a 50 THB fee into the exchange rate, but it still saves you at least 100 thb.

what do you mean ? go inside the bank and give the visa card to the bank guy ? can you explain me smile.png

The 50 THB is spread out over the amount of the withdraw, so the larger it is, the less it will be. It doesn't appear as a line item (the 50 THB fee), but if you check the visa/mc rate at the time of withdraw, you will see the missing 50 THB.

Well it is not that big a deal once a month. But it is a surprise to me as if you use the ATM it will tell you it is going to cost you so much. In the bank they have never mentioned it to me. Impossible to check as the currency up and down is going on all day. I suppose if I made a small with draw say like 500 baht it would show but not at the amount I get for the month. I of course pay the money on my computer right away. I have a fair idea of the cost and if I over pay I just leave it in there. If I underpay when they do finally post it I make up the difference right away.

No big deal that. Thanks for the info. I am going to ask them next time I go in.

Maybe your transactions are different than mine... Example from my last signature transaction:

30 September I transferred 150,000.00 Thai baht from my Visa credit card issued from my financial institution in Hawaii to my Bangkok Bank savings account.

1 October Visa settled with my financial institution with a charge to my account of $4,138.67.

Visa Corporate Exchange Rate Calculator for 1 October was 0.027591 USD to 1 THB.

4,138.67 divided by 0.027591 = 150,000.7248740531

I pay no foreign currency exchange rate, not withdrawal fees, and I don't believe anything extra to Bangkok Bank, where I make the transaction.

In my experience for my own transactions at an ATM in Thailand, I pay the ATM fee assessed by the owner of the ATM, I pay not foreign currency exchange rate, I pay no ATM transaction fee, and the exchange rate is exactly as Visa Foreign Currency Exchange Rate Calculator shows on their web site. I don't use an ATM unless I absolutely have to. I, like northernjohn, draw an amount once a month, then transfer online from a deposit account to the credit card account.

This does not work for any of my other "plastic", including ATM cards from the same financial institution in regards to no foreign transaction fees. ONLY with my Visa credit card do I get the no currency exchange rate feature.

By the way, this also works the same way for me when I visit Japan.

Maybe your transactions are different than mine... Example from my last signature transaction:

30 September I transferred 150,000.00 Thai baht from my Visa credit card issued from my financial institution in Hawaii to my Bangkok Bank savings account.

1 October Visa settled with my financial institution with a charge to my account of $4,138.67.

Visa Corporate Exchange Rate Calculator for 1 October was 0.027591 USD to 1 THB.

I pay no foreign currency exchange rate, not withdrawal fees, and I don't believe anything extra to Bangkok Bank, where I make the transaction.

In my experience for my own transactions at an ATM in Thailand, I pay the ATM fee assessed by the owner of the ATM, I pay not foreign currency exchange rate, I pay no ATM transaction fee, and the exchange rate is exactly as Visa Foreign Currency Exchange Rate Calculator shows on their web site. I don't use an ATM unless I absolutely have to. I, like northernjohn, draw an amount once a month, then transfer online from a deposit account to the credit card account.

This does not work for any of my other "plastic", including ATM cards from the same financial institution in regards to no foreign transaction fees. ONLY with my Visa credit card do I get the no currency exchange rate feature.

That was a cash advance, not a teller initiated debit withdraw. This was beaten to death in the banking forum, over two years ago, when AEON started charging a fee.

That was a cash advance, not a teller initiated debit withdraw. This was beaten to death in the banking forum, over two years ago, when AEON started charging a fee.

bangmai,

in your post, # 30, you from a suggestion by northernjohn to go inside the bank and draw on a Visa. Your reply said there is a 50 baht fee in the exchange rate. My example does not include any 50 baht fee. If I ever draw money from an ATM on my US issued ATM or credit cards I am charge the ATM fee. The exchange rate is whatever is shown on the Visa or Mastercard exchange rate calculator for the settlement day. I have never been charged any 50 baht fee in addition to these charges.

I don;t know what you mean by "teller initiated debit withdraw". I have never heard that term. A bank teller takes my card and runs it through their swiping machine. Is that not teller initiated?

Yes, use the ATM you pay the 150-180...go into the branch with a debit card that will be guaranteed by visa or mc and they build in a 50 thb fee into the transaction. I went into BKK Bank in August 2013....the official MC rate was 31.89167.....I withdrew 15,000 TH, so my bill should have been 470.34.....but it was calculated based on 15,050 and my statement says 471.91. So the amount you get is padded by 50 before the exchange computation.......I got 31.7857. $1.57 ON 15,000 thb.

bangmai,

in your post, # 30, you from a suggestion by northernjohn to go inside the bank and draw on a Visa. Your reply said there is a 50 baht fee in the exchange rate. My example does not include any 50 baht fee. If I ever draw money from an ATM on my US issued ATM or credit cards I am charge the ATM fee. The exchange rate is whatever is shown on the Visa or Mastercard exchange rate calculator for the settlement day. I have never been charged any 50 baht fee in addition to these charges.

I don;t know what you mean by "teller initiated debit withdraw". I have never heard that term. A bank teller takes my card and runs it through their swiping machine. Is that not teller initiated?

A couple of things two years ago is time for a lot of changes in the bank system. For instance I no longer have to give my address and phone number.

I do not use a teller I go to one of the officers that sit at the desks.

I one time did use my debit card to get half my money and my Visa card to get the other. Both with the same bank. When I got the figures on my computer they were both the same rate.

I always use my Visa card but that time I was experimenting. I rarely go to the teller unless I want change. Generally the officer I am dealing with gives it to me. This last time he would only give me 50 20 baht notes and I wanted 100 he told me I would have to go to the teller for the other 50.

I also get a quantity of 1,000 baht notes 100 baht notes and 50 baht notes. I just prefer to have close to the amount of the purchase with me. Just a personal thing with me. I know I can carry a pile of 1,000 baht notes and go in to a 7/11 if necessary.

bangmai,

A "teller initiated debit withdraw" is a transaction started (initiated) by a teller(employee of a bank), not a customer and since it is a "debit withdraw" it is has the opposite effect of a "credit withdraw" and since debit withdraw is equivalent to a double debit(like a double negative) it is actually a credit. Usually it is a withdrawal not a withdraw and sometimes the same transaction can be made by other bank employees in which case it is called "another bank employee debit withdraw". It varries depending on the type of card your are using, credit, debit, prepaid, homemade or stolen.

In the UK it is getting harder to buy travellers cheques, but if you can buy high denomination ones (commission free) they are still a cost effective and safe!!! (security has not been mentioned much) option. Most exchange booths in CM actually give a slightly better exchange rate for TC's than cash but of course there is that fee.Just because something is outdated it does not mean that it is not a good option but i do wonder if they are heading for extinction.

If you use Google with the words "ATM fee Thailand" you'll find some interesting reading. Basically now, the answer is no, so you might as well withdraw the maximum when you're doing an ATM withdrawal. The fee now is 180 baht.

In the past the Aeon machines didn't charge a fee, but I don't know if that's changed. I think it has.

You can charge major expenses, like hotel stays, on credit cards.

Anon started charging about least two years ago. I tossed my last foreign ATM card in the drawer after receiving it and haven't bothered to activate it. Aeon was the last place I used my old foreigner ATM card.

Edited by connda

Money belt. I won't say you can't get robbed, but if you're not flashing cash around, you're less of a target. Stash a couple of grand away in a money belt. There won't be any bulls-eye on your back. Keep the excess in your hotel's safe and get a receipt. Keep your spending cash in you wallet. Don't carry more than you can afford to lose.

check the rate here if you got visa europe

http://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

me i got an option with my french bank , every month i pay 9 euro and i got unlimited atm and payment free just pay the 180 at atm and nothing from tesco, hotel ...

today from kasikorn

EUR Euro 38.25795

and visa 1 EURO = 39.0022996458 THAI BAHT so not too bad

Really. USD and EURO are almost at parity. Cool.

• 2 years later...
On 10/28/2015 at 8:18 PM, anto said:

They all charge .I think Anom Bank (sp ?) charge B180 which is the least for foreign bank card withdrawl..Try and open a Thai Bank a/c while you are here ,and then next time you come you can transfer money over first .

I'd add, use a reputable online transfer company.  Or bringg in your own cash and exchange at town centre booths.  You'll get 10% better at least.