Pattaya beach chair businesses banned after operator filmed shooing tourists

Jonathan Fairfield

Thanet said the operators had failed to register their businesses and if they continue to set up beach chairs on public spaces, they will be prosecuted.

Ha, Ha, Ha...good one.......a registered business...Why would they do that???

They should...in theory....but a healthy percent of those operators never even give it a thought.....lol

Cheers

To be fair Russians are total tight wads , i dont blame her , but it still does not make it ok ,

Seriously? Is it time for another ignorant Russian bashing?

They like to lay on the beach for many reasons. One of the main ones is because it's easier to get an overall, even tan that way. They come to the beach to get a nice tan to show off to their friends back home. That's what a beach holiday is all about for most of them. There's also something about sand that many people like when they go to the beach. It's like that in Australia too where few people sit on chairs on beaches.

It's mainly the Asian tourists who prefer to sit on chairs under shade as they are not interested in getting tans. It's a shame that Thais haven't figured this out yet. They could keep nice areas of open beach for people to enjoy and still cater to them with food and drink services instead of viewing them with hostility... but even ignorant members on here assume that anyone who doesn't want to sit on a chair under an umbrella is a "tight wad".

Edited by tropo

Most countries consider beach areas to be public land. Thailand's government officials/police have to be held accountable for allowing this practice to flourish.

Surprisingly it's not like that in the US where most of the dry beach coastline is privately owned.

http://www.beachapedia.org/File:Beach_Ownership.jpg

Incorrect. If you look at your own chart that the public does own the majority of all beaches. Its up to states to determine the extent of ownership.

Most countries consider beach areas to be public land. Thailand's government officials/police have to be held accountable for allowing this practice to flourish.

Surprisingly it's not like that in the US where most of the dry beach coastline is privately owned.

http://www.beachapedia.org/File:Beach_Ownership.jpg

Incorrect. If you look at your own chart that the public does own the majority of all beaches. Its up to states to determine the extent of ownership.

I beg your pardon... I should have said "most dry beach coastline CAN BE privately owned:

"The public has access along some dry beaches in most states"

... which suggests that dry beach ownership is fairly widespread across most of the states where private ownership is allowed to high or mean low water marks... which is a majority of coastal states.

This is surprising to someone from Australia, where ALL dry beach is public owned and accessible. This also includes the sand dune areas.

Edited by tropo

as I said, I think these vendors are paying rent and its probably to someone who appears legitimate, like the local policeman who maybe even told them it was legal. getting rid of this lot of vendors is just a show for the media, they will rent it to another lot and hopefully they will be a little more polite next time they are being videoed

i have never been to "Wong Amat beach".

is it nicer there ? (aside from gun-shooting salespeople)

does it mean that the police will not allow deck-chair sellers on Wong Amat beach only? or are they talking the whole of Pattaya?

What will people lay down on when they want to sunbathe? and where will people sit?

I assume if they remove deckchair vendors, then they will provide free chairs instead, yes?

but actually i am pretty sure that they have a few days or a week of not allowing the sellers,, and then they let them back again. (coz thats Thai Style). Lol

'Shoo' as in bounce, not 'shoot'

All the assets of these baech vendors and their relations should be confisticated by the NCPO immediately and they should be jailed as they have been using public land to genarate profits form teh past few years. These scumbags and their families should just be left to rot and no decent person should have any sympathy for these dogs. I really hope people like thse die very slowly and suffer.

Don't hold back, Nick.Tell us what you really think of them.

what the deck chair vendor lady should have done is take the beach goers a menu, recommended the daily special and offer a slight discount on a chair if they purchase a meal.... everyone's a winner.

If the beach goers decline repeat as above every 5 mins until they move on..... job done.

That is how a SMART business person would do it. These are the people who raise the prices when less tourists are in town, in order to maintain the same income. No concept of supply and demand (or common sense).

what the deck chair vendor lady should have done is take the beach goers a menu, recommended the daily special and offer a slight discount on a chair if they purchase a meal.... everyone's a winner.

If the beach goers decline repeat as above every 5 mins until they move on..... job done.

That is how a SMART business person would do it. These are the people who raise the prices when less tourists are in town, in order to maintain the same income. No concept of supply and demand (or common sense).

The chair vendors on Wong Amat beach (Naklua soi 18) have been given a good spanking. There are no customers, no food, no chairs, no income, and no maintenance. It's a pity because this beach typically attracts regular customers over many years.

post-245305-0-84480700-1446169512_thumb.

England has the best answer to beach chairs..You can hire a deck chair for a pile of chairs.but after you have used it the vendor must collect it or anyone can use for free.

The beach is left empty of chairs and only chairs with people sitting in the are on the beach..Anyone can take their own beach furniture.

No umbrellas on English beaches for hire so I guess the same could be done here with them.

Any beach is a public recreational reserve and is owned by no-one.

These annoying hustlers are in most countries in SEAsia. There is a problem in Bali with Australians being ripped off on beaches and by corrupt cops. One cop was quoted as saying ....Australians are dripping with money!

Foreigner tourists in Asia are nothing more than a flock of sheep going to the slaughter.

The chair vendors on Wong Amat beach (Naklua soi 18) have been given a good spanking. There are no customers, no food, no chairs, no income, and no maintenance. It's a pity because this beach typically attracts regular customers over many years.

" It's a pity because this beach typically attracts regular customers over many years."

No. ​

The pity is the nice families that have been harassed by these scammers over the many years. The beach scammers have been running illegitimate beach business supported by corrupt police, then using intimidation and violence against tourists that don't want their services.

Edited by RidgeRunner

To be fair Russians are total tight wads , i dont blame her , but it still does not make it ok ,

so your blaming the victims for wanting to sit on the sand,unbelievable!!!

"to be fair"....Maybe he was complementing Russians for avoiding being ripped off by beach vendors.biggrin.png

I sure like the direction this country is going !

Time will only tell............don,t hold your breath though whistling.gif

Here we go again with more high crimes and misdemeanors on the beaches of Thailand. At least the operator of this concession did not chop any one up with a machete or shoot them. Temper, temper there beach chair owner; now you are out of business.........until you pay your bribe for another permit. Besides, hotels and bars are air conditioned. I vote for the bar where you can chat up a friendly girl while sipping a cool one without breaking a sweat.