Immigration warns homeowners they have 24hrs to report foreign guests

webfact

So they are starting to enforce the immigration act, which was written sometime in the 50's, when people were still travelling by buffaloes. Joyful. No chance of getting rid of the boneheaded notification rules this century, I suppose.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticed that my wife, my landlord and myself are all obligated to visit the immigration or police twice a week, as I work in BKK and spend weekends at our house in Pattaya. That's four reports per week, even when I already have the yellow book and the MFA, not the immigration, has granted me permission to stay in Thailand.

Yeah, sure we're gonna do that. Not.

Chiang Mai Immigration notified my wife of this 2 weeks ago, saying she could be "in trouble" if she didn't come and report me living here. We both went, and she wasn't polite. She asked them how stupid they had to be, seeing as we have been living here as husband and wife, originally with a Marriage Extension, which was later changed to Retirement, for the past 7 damn years, with me reporting every 90 days, and with them originally coming to the house to verify it. They told her it was "policy", to which she replied - "Policy is fine, but you're all a bunch of idiots!"

I was even shocked, as my wife is normally a very polite, very soft spoken woman, but this touched a nerve somewhere inside of her that set her off. They finally filled out the forms, with a receipt for me to place in my passport, stating that without it, I would not be able to renew my yearly again. Needless to say, they were happy to see us leave.

Good for her. I think she is right. It is getting so that Prime Property is the closest to the Immigration Office.

if this is actually enforced, I very much doubt that immigration could cope with the paperwork......20 million per year plus those staying long term in Thailand....

how about any visitors to rented property that turn up unexpectedly over the high season? Does the tenant tell the landlord or immigration?

Imagine what a chaos if everybody would follow and apply this rule.

Let's do it! Everyone report EVERY time you move ANYWHERE in Thailand and see how the system copes with it. You can be sure that half the offices won't even understand what you're trying to do.

Amazing Thailand : Amazing you always.

it just money, honey.

When i go to Hua Hin immigration I just smile and say "What is the fine this time?" Even if there is no problem, I start offering money. They know it is just a game.

So if I camp out on the side of the road, who makes to report to immigration? smile.png

Ruined beaches with the oil spill, over built, horrible traffic, immigration rules, expensive, every kind of pollution known to man. Hua Hin, living the dream.

Just the kind of place to invest in.

Edited by Crossy
reference to Nazi's removed

"Within 24 hours", immigration going to work weekends now then??

Valid point and don't forget the annual 256 days a year of Thai public holidays.

If you want to get your facts correct, stop misleading people and actual read the law.

Your a foreigner in a foreign Country, doesn't matter what you agree or disagree with, it's their law

There is no requirement to make a special visit, or within 24 hours to Immigration.

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

Section 2 and 3 deals with the procedure of removing, i.e. Taking up a new permanent residence.

Immigration is not mentioned, only the local Police Station open 24/7.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

Temporary stay in another province, not a new permanent address.

Immigration is not mentioned, only the local Police Station open 24/7

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

Normal 90 day reporting with a TM 47, or if a permanent change of address a TM28.

Both completed on a routine visit, not within 24 hours.

Edited by Faz

When our house was finished my wife went to immigration and filled out the form making the change . Now if we travel I do nothing . If it gets to the point I have to report evetytime I sleep or stay somewhere 24 hours , I think its time to find another place to live .

Sorry to be a bit dim on this but I am still not clear on my requirements. My wife and I married several lifetimes ago in Hong Kong and registered in Thailand. I presently live and work in Hong Kong and my wife lives at our house in Thailand; she does allow me to visit regularly but I suspect it's just because the dogs like me!

I arrive at swampy and always fill in the address on the form handed to Immigration, is my wife still required to report my arrival at the house on the TM 28 & 30? If so, is there any way we can avoid this?

Kind informative replies offering insight and good advice will receive a 'like' from me.

Cynical, mickey taking and cruel replies will be read and chuckled at.

I can only offer my own interpretation of this if i was in your shoes, as I think we're all a bit unclear on this.

I'm assuming you arrive here on a tourist visa each time, or do you have a Non-O extension?

If tourist, then you've correctly observed that it usually falls to the residence manager (your wife) to report your presence.

If you're on any other permission, eg retiree, marriage, etc. then your 90 day report OR your annual extension, if you don't do a 90 day due to extended absence, would cover your coming and going. You may be unaware that the 90 day report is now available as an online option, and I do believe that in the last few days the 90 day report can be done at any 7/11, however, I have not followed that info up to confirm yet.

The third option, of course, is to ignore it!

Up to you to decide if they are ever going to be so 'granular' as to check on every single person staying at where they said they would, on the Arrivals Card.

I think not.

No. It can't be done in a 7/11!

That was an April Fool's joke, but it seems many people didn't get it.

Valid point and don't forget the annual 256 days a year of Thai public holidays.

Maybe the government should read Thai Visa and use some of our ideas, such as the classic .... use 7/11. Open 24 hours , 365 days a year.

Maybe its just me, but i always get worried when a dictator countries corrupt police department want to know my exact address..

Makes me think maybe one day they will show up, and demand teapot money for this that or the other thing..

Think i will let this play out a while before reacting to it..

Do you actually reside in Thailand. If so what is your problem with providing an addess. Don't you think you have obligations or is it your belief that you can come here, willy nilly, and tell all to get stuffed. Why all the whinging about providing your bona fides. Something to hide or are you just one of those who like to buck the system. I suppose you're one of those who never provided their bona fides in their country of origin either?

Unless you have resided in North Korea, Zimbabwe, Uzbekistan, Iran, Libya, Egypt, etc., the list goes on, then I'd say you haven't a clue about dictatorships or the definition of such and if you are suggesting that Thailand fits into these catagories, which by the way, it doesn't even make the list, then you must be living in cuckoo land. Before reacting, what do you call this, a naive moment. And if you do wait, what reaction do you think you will engage. Whatever it is, it will not make one iota.

Maybe its just me, but i always get worried when a dictator countries corrupt police department want to know my exact address..

Makes me think maybe one day they will show up, and demand teapot money for this that or the other thing..

Think i will let this play out a while before reacting to it..

Do you actually reside in Thailand. If so what is your problem with providing an addess. Don't you think you have obligations or is it your belief that you can come here, willy nilly, and tell all to get stuffed. Why all the whinging about providing your bona fides. Something to hide or are you just one of those who like to buck the system. I suppose you're one of those who never provided their bona fides in their country of origin either?

Unless you have resided in North Korea, Zimbabwe, Uzbekistan, Iran, Libya, Egypt, etc., the list goes on, then I'd say you haven't a clue about dictatorships or the definition of such and if you are suggesting that Thailand fits into these catagories, which by the way, it doesn't even make the list, then you must be living in cuckoo land. Before reacting, what do you call this, a naive moment. And if you do wait, what reaction do you think you will engage. Whatever it is, it will not make one iota.

Well said.

Just noticed that my wife, my landlord and myself are all obligated to visit the immigration or police twice a week, as I work in BKK and spend weekends at our house in Pattaya. That's four reports per week, even when I already have the yellow book and the MFA, not the immigration, has granted me permission to stay in Thailand.

Yeah, sure we're gonna do that. Not.

The MFA granted you permission to stay? How so?

Even if you are on a visa, not an extension issued by immigration, I would think it was the immigration office at the airport or land border that stamped your passport and granted you permission.

Edited by onthemoon

So they are starting to enforce the immigration act, which was written sometime in the 50's, when people were still travelling by buffaloes. Joyful. No chance of getting rid of the boneheaded notification rules this century, I suppose.

No, it was written in the 1970s. But even if they update it (which they can, as they have a sophisticated computer system), they won't know where people are unless reported. Nothing to do with buffaloes. What's your point?

So immigration told me I only have to report once and that every time I leave country for my 90 day visa runs, that my TM-6 is all I need to do because all my info is on it.

Now what about my wife and the TM-30, is this something she needs to do every 90 days or not?

And the TM-28, can I take that to my local police station? or do I need to report to my immigration office ever 90 days?

So what are the F@*KING rules here in Thailand.........Cambodia is looking very good to me right now! (one year visa and no visa runs)

The major coincidence in my case and a greater extent my landlords case is I moved out of a house I was renting 2 days ago in HH! I am now living in a guest house, so does do they still have to say that foreigners are staying at their property? Also do we faring have to do anything at all because of this insane 24 hour notice law?

I admit I have not read the whole thread...

I fill out the entry card on arrival and provide an address

I have a Yellow Tabien Baan which has my registered address

I have a Work Permit with the same address

I have a tax card with that very same address

I have driving license with...you guess it...same address

I have lived here 10 years and all my 90-day report has this damn address...

...and my wife still has to report when I come to stay at this address after a trip?

Yeah...not going to do it.

Bite me.

Chiang Mai Immigration notified my wife of this 2 weeks ago, saying she could be "in trouble" if she didn't come and report me living here. We both went, and she wasn't polite. She asked them how stupid they had to be, seeing as we have been living here as husband and wife, originally with a Marriage Extension, which was later changed to Retirement, for the past 7 damn years, with me reporting every 90 days, and with them originally coming to the house to verify it. They told her it was "policy", to which she replied - "Policy is fine, but you're all a bunch of idiots!"

I was even shocked, as my wife is normally a very polite, very soft spoken woman, but this touched a nerve somewhere inside of her that set her off. They finally filled out the forms, with a receipt for me to place in my passport, stating that without it, I would not be able to renew my yearly again. Needless to say, they were happy to see us leave.

I am in love with your wife,

If you want to get your facts correct, stop misleading people and actual read the law.

Your a foreigner in a foreign Country, doesn't matter what you agree or disagree with, it's their law

There is no requirement to make a special visit, or within 24 hours to Immigration.

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty four hours from the time of arrival.

Section 2 and 3 deals with the procedure of removing, i.e. Taking up a new permanent residence.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty eight hours from the time of arrival.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

Normal 90 day reporting with a TM 47, or if a permanent change of address a TM28.

At last a factual post I have been checked. Only have to do it once unless I move to a different district.

Now it's only the 90 jobby and that's by post.

How easy do you want it for Buddha sake.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

Except that the "facts" do not correspond to the "law", so we have to interpret the actual requirements for ourselves.

The law on 2 and 3 as stated is certainly wrong. New permanent residence has to be reported to immigration, not to the police. Various people's experience in this thread proves this. No problem with reporting that to immigration in any case. Nor with No.5

Really it's No.4 that is the problem. Quite impracticable.

Presumably these laws date back to pre-mass tourism and mass transportation when people didn't actually move around much. The world has changed completely and the "law" hasn't caught up. Again, we have to interpret in a practical sense what is appropriate/possible.