Looking for low ride height, decent torque/hp truck. Which ones?

FTB

So here's the query. I need to haul a couple of dirt bikes in a truck. Loading into 4X4's is something I want to avoid. Sadly it seems most of the models released over the last 5 years, even 4X2 models seemed to have a raised ride height. I'm looking for a truck within the last 5 years or so (not new) that has a relatively low stance.......and get this.....a good strong and healthy motor.

I test drove a 2007 Mitubishi 2.5 turbo diesel and was not impressed, not enough oooomph. My friends 2012 Toyota Vigo 3 liter turbo diesel was very nice in the engine department, but too tall.

I'm looking for something along these lines:

Either a Spacecab or 4 door, not a singlecab.

Lets say looking for something close to 160 hp or better and 320 torque.

What manufacture combo of motor and ride height fits my needs? I've perused car ads but without test driving each engine package I'm not sure what will fit my needs. The 2.5 Turbo Diesel Mitsu I drove stank, whilst the new 2016 Toyota 2.3 turbo diesel motor is very strong. So I can't just say I want a 3 liter turbo diesel as there may well be some smaller engine sizes that do quite well.

So please chime in and help the ignorant.

The Mistu you drove has only 116HP, so yes, not terribly inspiring.

The problem as you've noticed it is, many of the "super low" trucks are base models, which in turn means, the lowest HP engine version.

In Toyota, the previous "Champ" model range had one variant fitting your specs:

3.0G SmartCab 2x4 - 163HP/343Nm - overall height: 1720mm

Forget the 2.5L versions though - they had only 102HP or 120HP depending on grade.

In Isuzu, the low version in the old shape D-Max Spacecab 3.0L SLX grade made 145HP/294Nm, with an overall height of 1640mm. Don't be put off by the HP numbers - Isuzu's always feel more powerful than their specs suggest.

That's about all I can think of - all the other brands give these low riding versions their most basic, low power, engines only.

You can look for 2010-2013 Mazda BT-50 . The low riders and high riders have the same engine 2.5 turbo intercooler rated at 143 HP at 3500 rpm. I have a double cab 2 x4 high rider and the 2 door 2x4 extra cab low riders have a same engine.

I think the BT-50 low rider 2x4 should also be a better vehicle for highway use as the center of gravity is lower.

If you can drive one you will see this 2.5 engine has a lot of power.

Ford Ranger 2010-2013 have the same engine and are made in the same factory in Thailand. So yu mau check those too.

Thanks heaps IMHO. I found only a couple Champ models with the 3.0 motor, most had the 2.5. Sadly the two with the 3.0 liters were tall 4x4 and a Prerunner model. I greatly appreciate the model name. Tracking down which model fits my specs is the awkward thing. What website are you using that lists all the relevant specs for truck models here in Thailand? I laughed when I went to the Toyota site and clicked on specs and the only engine detail I got was the liter size. Like you noted most of the lower stance trucks have the smaller motors.

Maoro12 - Yes tuning my truck is not out of the question and I hear the Isuzu motors respond the best to modifications.

Any other models to add to this list:

Toyota 3.0 Champ

Isuzu Dmax 3.0 SLX

Thanks heaps IMHO. I found only a couple Champ models with the 3.0 motor, most had the 2.5. Sadly the two with the 3.0 liters were tall 4x4 and a Prerunner model. I greatly appreciate the model name. Tracking down which model fits my specs is the awkward thing. What website are you using that lists all the relevant specs for truck models here in Thailand? I laughed when I went to the Toyota site and clicked on specs and the only engine detail I got was the liter size. Like you noted most of the lower stance trucks have the smaller motors.

Maoro12 - Yes tuning my truck is not out of the question and I hear the Isuzu motors respond the best to modifications.

Toyota 3.0 Champ

Isuzu Dmax 3.0 SLX

I sent you a PM about my 2012 top G model Toyota vigo champ which is not a prerunner but is the lowest height truck that toyota makes. It has the 3.0 turbo diesel engine and is 4 door. The only reason we want to sell it is because we need a van.

Let me know if you need more information about it and I can PM you or just post it here. Thanks

Edited by zeekgarcia

Toyota 3.0 Champ

Isuzu Dmax 3.0 SLX

I'm not looking at a website, I'm accessing the co. database :P

The bottom line is, look for >= 3.0L versions to get the power you want. Yes, these will be rare, as most people spend the extra money to step up models, rather than step up the capacity.

Toyota 3.0 Champ

Isuzu Dmax 3.0 SLX

I'm not looking at a website, I'm accessing the co. database tongue.png

The bottom line is, look for >= 3.0L versions to get the power you want. Yes, these will be rare, as most people spend the extra money to step up models, rather than step up the capacity.

I remember when we were looking for this same kind of truck that it is a rare find but we have a 2012 Toyota vigo champ top G model, 4 door, 3.0 turbo diesel standard height model that is what he is looking for or if anyone else is interested please let me know as we need to buy a van.

Toyota 3.0 Champ

Isuzu Dmax 3.0 SLX

I sent you a PM about my 2012 top G model Toyota vigo champ which is not a prerunner but is the lowest height truck that toyota makes. It has the 3.0 turbo diesel engine and is 4 door. The only reason we want to sell it is because we need a van.

Let me know if you need more information about it and I can PM you or just post it here. Thanks

Thanks for the PM. I have just sent you one back.

Why not buy the truck you want, need, & have the suspension modified... lowered ?

I think you'll find the suspension mods will be less expensive than power up mods.

Just a thought.

Cheers..... Mal.

I'm not that familiar with the current line up of models, but I found in my previous life that anything with a turbo you can SuperChip like crazy, whereas normally aspirated engines only have marginal gains. Be aware of the heat on the turbo though, especially in this climate.

Lowering the front suspension may not be easy as the high and low ride versions have different chassis mounting points.

CNX is right about the last of the old model Ranger / BT50 2.5L engine. They go surprisingly well but the design of the rest of the truck is dated.

FTB, your dirt bikes may be a tight fit on the back of a 4 door pickup. Pity trailers are so rare in LOS.

Edited by Jitar

Why not buy the truck you want, need, & have the suspension modified... lowered ?

I think you'll find the suspension mods will be less expensive than power up mods.

Just a thought.

Cheers..... Mal.

I was going to do this as you can find prerunners & dmaxs all day long but the places I asked about lowering a prerunner or a dmax said that I would notice a difference in handling ability and I would be better off buying a standard height truck. Which is rare and even more rare finding one that is an automatic but I finally found one in good condition and bought it.

FTB, your dirt bikes may be a tight fit on the back of a 4 door pickup. Pity trailers are so rare in LOS.

In the states now, a lot of people are using what are called "trailer hitch carriers." 100% if I were a dirt bike person, I would think about one. They mount on the trailer hitch and can support up to two bikes I think. I used one once, as a loaner, and was really happy with it.

post-237067-0-50821200-1446198756_thumb.

Edited by Phaeton

Zeekgarcia. thank you for the measurements. That is 7 inches lower than my 4x4.

Two question: what kind of cab is it, Spacecab, singlecab or 4 door? manual or auto? tell me about accidents with the car?

Thank you.