Sticky Steering Wheel

macahoom

I have a Ford Focus S.

It has the original Ford steering wheel which I'm pretty sure is finished in leather.

When the interior of the car gets hot, (when I'm parked, for example) the steering wheel becomes horribly sticky. As the aircon cools the interior down, the stickiness slowly dissipates until the wheel is not sticky anymore.

Note: the stickiness is not caused by direct sunlight; if I shield the wheel, it still gets sticky. It's the interior temperature that is causing the phenomenon.

I have thoroughly cleaned the steering wheel several times using different products without success.

Any ideas?

It should be easy to tell if it's finished in leather - look for actual, real, stitching. If yes, are there any cracks, wear marks, or discoloration in the leather? It could just be deteriorating.

Has the wheel ever been coated with a protectant type product? if so, it might just be absorbed product leeching out when it gets hot - in that case, the solution might be to be to let it get super hot then clean it over and over until you can make it go away.

Is there any dampness elsewhere in the car? It might just be a problem caused by super-high humidity levels in the cabin.

Failing those, a steering wheel cover is the cheapest work around.

Archived