UK Settlement visa question - child from earlier relationship

The pinned items have been very useful but I have one question about a Thai mother taking her daughter from a previous relationship to the UK:-

The Thai applicant and British resident have been married for 10 years. The daughter from an earlier relationship has taken the family name of Brit.

What paperwork, if any, is required in connection with the mother taking the daughter to the UK? The mother has had sole responsibly for 14 years.

Children
Children cannot normally come to settle in the UK unless both parents are settled here or have been given permission to settle here. The only exceptions are where:

• 1 parent is dead and the other is settled or coming to settle here; or
  • the parent who is settled or coming to settle in the UK has had sole responsibility for the child's upbringing (which is the most common for members here); or
  • 1 parent is settled or coming to settle in the UK and there there are serious reasons why the child must be allowed to come here.

Brilliant - the links were most useful.

One final question (and I don't know if anyone has been through this personally) - What documents should be submitted the evidence that the applicant has sole responsibility ?

I fully appreciate that it is the facts rather than documents that matter but I imagine that Por Khor 14 would help. Does this need translating and should any supporting 'investigation' documents from the amphur be required ?

It will help but a thorough written explanation of the situation especially covering the issue of lack of paternal 'input' is the most important thing. If the child is settling at the same time as the mother this should not be that difficult. It will, of course be costly!!! If they live at the same address then this is half the battle. It sounds as if the British partner has been acting as a step parent anyway so information and evidence of this will be helpful, possibly conclusive!

If the father is out of the picture then let them know this.

Most difficulties arise when a parent moves to the UK and wishes a child to follow some time later. The bigger the gap, the bigger the obstacle!

• Like 2

As 7by7 has posted elsewhere, be prepared for the child to be questioned, generally by phone if old enough.

Yes indeed.

The daughter is almost 15 so I would expect a call. She has been primed but as we have stuck to the truth she will be able to answer any questions honestly.

As said, that mother and child live together and have been for a considerable time and are applying at the same time means sole responsibility should not really be an issue.

P.K. 14, plus any other evidence they live at the same address which they may have should be enough.