Moral Activist Monks?

Ajahnski

Hello Everyone,

I have an idea that all of my farang friends and Thai family really like, and am looking for a suggestion of who to approach with it.

The idea is simple, as an anti-corruption campaign, sell buttons with a simple emblem - the Thai flag surrounded by an outline of orange. It will stand as a symbol for people who refuse to pay bribes. Orange/saffron is the color the monks wear, and signifies that the Buddha's teaching is all around us. That means the 5 teachings, which Thai recite regularly should apply to everyone, and the button would serve as a reminder that bribery is dishonest and breaks #2 of the 5. (Oh, and there should be a rule that gov't officers may not wear the button with their gov't uniforms, for a few reasons. That's getting ahead of myself, but anyway.)

Anyway, people really like the idea, and I've suggested writing it up and sending to Buddha Isara, the activist monk north of us. However, I've also seen that he offered a 500,000 bht reward for someone accused of lese majeste, so I don't know if he's really the best choice? It's difficult to find good information about the machinations of monk politics here, so I'm open to suggestions. If you have a better monk to contact, please tell me why.

I've had 3 family members, besides my wife, say that they'd translate for me already. I think this idea has legs.

Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, I'm looking for a contract in the middle east anyway. Also, I'm not dumb enough to think that ANY Thai, even a monk, would take advice from a farang, that's why my Thai relatives will anonymously (so they don't have 'accidents') meet and give the idea to the monks.

"Droll" - I like that!

I have no illusions about the piety of the Thai monastics. In general, I believe most are decent, but they also know their place and know not to buck the system. I ordained for a week last year, and, from what I can tell, our local monks are quite sincere. I also saw that the abbot is working hard to improve the monastery and make it a center for monks to come for longer periods of intense study. That being said, I've seen, from a different monastery, lazy monks, and I've read news stories too. Even though there are too many examples of bad monks, they are still revered in Thai culture, which is why they have the best chance of making a positive difference.

Thanks again for the responses so far.

And where would a Buddhist monk, who's sworn to a life of poverty, get 500K-Bht? All organized religions are money-making enterprises. Next topic, please

Irrelevant comment. Next time, just go to the next topic yourself without wasting our time.

• 5 months later...

"I have an idea that all of my farang friends and Thai family really like"

"I don't know many farang here, but I know about 10" - from one of your previous posts.

So, let's say your extended Thai family has 15 people in it, that gives us a grand total of 25 people.

Population of Thailand = 67,000,000 (for the sake of argument, we will add you and your friends into that figure).

Percentage of the population that "really like" your idea = 0.0000373%

And you think your idea "has legs" = LOL.

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from killing. Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.

2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given. Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.

3. I undertake the training rule to avoid sexual misconduct. Kāmesumicchācāra veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.

4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech. Musāvādā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.

5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness. Surāmerayamajjapamādaṭṭhānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.

Not sure you are reading the same Precepts as me?

Edited by muzmurray