Vignette Transfer - Anyone done it?

You can't do it any more. All she can do is downgrade to a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

I'm assuming Mrs E has indefinite leave to remain. She only needs a BRP if she wishes to take on an employer who is too scared to employ someone who is allowed to work but lacks the approved evidence. An ILR vignette in an expired passport is supposed to be adequate for re-entering the UK, though some people carry all subsequent expired passports to prove there hasn't been a break in UK residence of more than two years.

If Mrs E has time-limited leave to remain in a settlement category, she should apply for an extension of the leave to remain before it expires. As an inseparable part of the process, she will apply for a BRP.

The only method of obtaining a new vignette is to apply for a visa substituting for a BRP from abroad. The stated position is that one then receives a very short term visa and must apply for a BRP shortly after returning to the UK. However, it has been known for a vignette recording indefinite leave to enter to be issued instead. I haven't found any evidence that this is standard practice.

There are many advantages to naturalising as British rather than applying for a BRP. At present the methods of losing British citizenship are exceptional rather than automatic as in the case of ILR.

Thanks for the reply, sorry I should have explained more, we're on the first stage of a settlement, we're still in Thailand, the vignette she has now runs out on the 4th December, this was the original plan but now due to work I've changed our flights to the 16th December so we need to get a new one.

Thanks

Jimmy

Edited by BIGJIMMY

Just got this back from UKVI after e-mailaing them:

'Make sure you know the date you will travel to the UK before you apply.

Your temporary visa will only be valid for 30 days once you receive it and
you will need to travel within this period. If you receive your temporary
sticker, and can’t travel during the 30 day window, you will need to
apply for a replacement. Please see the guidance below.
It costs £122 to transfer.

Visa fee £122.00 is required to be paid by the applicant and biometric
appointment also need to be attended.

If the time is tight , applicant can purchase the priority service.
Applicant will have to add a cover letter stating travel date.
Please select the following options at the time of creating the file.
Reason To Visit - other
Visa Type - other
Visa Sub Type - Vignette transfer'

Do we have to wait for the original 30 day vignette to have expired before we can apply for a new one?????

Thanks

I don't see any reason why you have to wait for the current visa to expire before applying for a new one. On the application form you will need to give your expected date of arrival in the UK. You can also request, in a separate letter, any start date you want for the visa ( as long as it is not more than 3 months ahead). If you know your travel date, the go ahead and apply.

Tony M

• Like 1

I have done it now, it seems that when you have to enter the details of your current vignette that it will only allow you to do so if it has already started - i.e I managed to do it today as Mrs E's vignette started today - -the 4th November. All done and submitted now so we'll see what happens, Mrs E is off to Bangers next week to do it.

Thanks

Jimmy

• 1 month later...