How does Thailand compare to other places you've been an expat?

Hal65

So I will list the places that I have worked or travelled for business or pleasure and rate them accordingly. For the record I am an American, late 30s and live and work in Thailand currently. I have spent the most time in Thailand, and it is my favorite by far.

South Korea (Seoul)

• Girls – Beautiful, but seemed very uninterested in me or white men in general
  • Food – Decent but expensive, and hard to find variety if you don’t speak Korean
  • Transportation – Very bad, but Korean cars are good and cheap
  • Housing – Heard it is very expensive from coworkers and live far from work generally
  • Racism – Seem to be fairly racist, but not as bad as Japan
  • Work – Super friendly coworkers, lots of opportunities
  • Safety – Super safe
Japan (Tokyo)
  • Food – Good but expensive, and hard to find variety if you don’t speak Japanese
  • Transportation – Very good public transport train system
  • Housing – Heard it is very expensive from coworkers and live far from work generally
  • Racism – Super racist xenophobic people.
  • Work – Coworkers not friendly but lots of opportunities (long work hours)
  • Safety – super safe
Cambodia (Phnom Penh)
  • Girls – Good looking and very friendly, speak English well
  • Food – Very good and cheap. Easy to find many kinds of food
  • Transportation – Awful streets filled with traffic, tuk tuks are cheap
  • Housing – not sure. Heard from friends it has went up a lot recently
  • Racism – Never got and racist feel at all
  • Work – Almost no industry there. If there was I would consider working there.
  • Safety – its seems super dirty there and looks unsafe, but I never felt unsafe
Indonesia (Jakarta)
  • Girls –Good looking and very exotic. Seemed fairly interested in foreigners
  • Food – Decent food, but not much variety that I found
  • Transportation – Horrendous traffic all the time. No public transport
  • Housing – not sure, but guessing it is expensive
  • Work – Would not work there due to the horrible traffic jams
  • Safety – felt reasonably safe
China (Shanghai)
  • Girls – Some Chinese girls are beautiful, but not really my type, and they are super shy
  • Food – Chinese food is terrible, but foreign food is good there and not outrageously expensive.
  • Transportation – Bad traffic all the time with constant horns. Decent public transport
  • Housing – Super expensive
  • Work – Would not work there due to the traffic and high cost of living, but the expat community is very large\
  • Safety – felt pretty safe
Philippines (Manila)
  • Girls –Beautiful and speak English well. Interested in foreigners and Americans.
  • Food –Not sure, only ate at the hotel..haha
  • Transportation – Horrible traffic jams
  • Safety – seems super unsafe to me….just my feeling
  • Work – Limited job market
  • Safety – Didn’t feel safe at all
Thailand (BKK, Pattaya, Chiangmai..etc)
  • Girls –Beautiful and super friendly. Interested in foreigners and Americans. IMHO Thailands #1 selling point
  • Food –Good and cheap and quite the variety, but expensive for me when I cook at home with imported ingredients
  • Transportation – Traffic is crazy, but public transportation and taxis are quite affordable. A decent imported car is super pricey
  • Safety – I feel pretty safe besides the obvious traffic dangers (as a pedestrian too)
  • Work – I love my job here, but working in Thailand can be frustrating at times.
  • Housing – Rent is relatively cheap, but in my opinion housing in Pattaya and BKK is way overpriced for what you get.
great detail. Agree about Korea and Japan most of it. Food is awesome in both Japan and Korea. Korea a bit heavy on the garlic but aside from that food is great there too. Japan has the best seafood in the world in my opinion.

Indo: agree most but again they have some great food. Not sure why not find variety.

Chinese food terrible? Man they have great food. Don't eat foreign food. Eat local food.

Thailand: Rent is cheap even in Bangkok. Not overpriced at all. In general cost of living is very reasonable in Thailand, yet you get great quality of life. About food, don't cook with foreign ingredients. You have so much great local food in Thailand.

thanks for the feedback.

The Chinese food I had with coworkers in Shanghai over 3 weeks was not to my liking. I have heard that people really like Chinese food as well as you, but I prefer Japanese or Korean much more.

I just really miss good steak and different international foods here so I cook often. I really like thai food, but I can't eat it 3 meals a day like some can.

In regards to housing I was saying that rent is reasonable, but the purchase price to buy a house or condo seems unreasonably high in relation to the rental price.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I will list the places that I have worked or travelled for business or pleasure and rate them accordingly. For the record I am an American, late 30s and live and work in Thailand currently. I have spent the most time in Thailand, and it is my favorite by far.

South Korea (Seoul)

• Food – Decent but expensive, and hard to find variety if you don’t speak Korean
  • Safety – Super safe

Japan (Tokyo)

• Food – Good but expensive, and hard to find variety if you don’t speak Japanese
  • Safety – super safe

Cambodia (Phnom Penh)

• Safety – its seems super dirty there and looks unsafe, but I never felt unsafe

Indonesia (Jakarta)

China (Shanghai)

• Girls – Some Chinese girls are beautiful, but not really my type, and they are super shy
  • Food – Chinese food is terrible, but foreign food is good there and not outrageously expensive.
  • Transportation – Bad traffic all the time with constant horns. Decent public transport
  • Work – Would not work there due to the traffic and high cost of living, but the expat community is very large\

Philippines (Manila)

• Girls –Beautiful and speak English well. Interested in foreigners and Americans.

• Girls –Beautiful and super friendly. Interested in foreigners and Americans. IMHO Thailands #1 selling point
  • Food –Good and cheap and quite the variety, but expensive for me when I cook at home with imported ingredients
  • Transportation – Traffic is crazy, but public transportation and taxis are quite affordable. A decent imported car is super pricey
  • Safety – I feel pretty safe besides the obvious traffic dangers (as a pedestrian too)
  • Work – I love my job here, but working in Thailand can be frustrating at times.
  • Housing – Rent is relatively cheap, but in my opinion housing in Pattaya and BKK is way overpriced for what you get.

What about Vietnam ? For the 6 aboves

South Korea (Seoul)

• Safety – Super safe
Japan (Tokyo)
  • Safety – super safe
Cambodia (Phnom Penh)
Indonesia (Jakarta)
China (Shanghai)
Philippines (Manila)

im curious too. I'm going there next month for the first time but only for a weekend.

South Korea (Seoul)

• Safety – Super safe
Japan (Tokyo)
  • Safety – super safe
Cambodia (Phnom Penh)
Indonesia (Jakarta)
China (Shanghai)
Philippines (Manila)

im curious too. I'm going there next month for the first time but only for a weekend.

I'm curious too..........keep meaning to go and will try to get there after trip to NZ in January.

Opinions seem "polarised" from folk I have spoken to??

South Korea (Seoul)

• Safety – Super safe
Japan (Tokyo)
  • Safety – super safe
Cambodia (Phnom Penh)
Indonesia (Jakarta)
China (Shanghai)
Philippines (Manila)

I'm curious too..........keep meaning to go and will try to get there after trip to NZ in January.

Opinions seem "polarised" from folk I have spoken to??

I've only done business trips so far, but here would be my view on Vietnam:

Girls: beautiful, more beautiful than Thais, white skin and interested in Westerner.

Food: another great place. Cheap and great food culture. Influenced by the French, you can get great Baguettes, croissants, great coffee

Transportation: crazy traffic, a lot motorcy, in many ways worse than Thailand. Not sure about public transportation

Safety: as far as I can tell, safe, not need to worry too much.

Work: great work culture, very dedicated, business minded.

Housing: I don't know.

Other observations. The country is very clean, similar to Taiwan or Japan, certainly a lot cleaner than Thailand. Also if religion is important to you, most people are Christians in Vietnam.

Personally I could see myself living there as an expat.

Been to Vietnam, for a few months at a time....

Girls. Very beautiful. Beter than Thailand. A few bar girls in HCM, but not many in the rest of the country. They have a "massage" culture there.

Work. I have no idea.

Racism. They love foreigners.

Food. Not as good as Thailand. Not at all.

Transport. You must have a motorbike. Rent if you're there less than a month. Buy second hand if longer. Sleeping busses for long journeys are just great.

Safety. Not once have I felt threatened.

Houses. Renting is a little cheaper than Thailand.

HCM is a shythole compared to the rest of the country. Take a bus to DA Lat and throw away your passport.

Just wanted to drop a note to the OP and all the participated to say thanks. This has been one of the more informative and on topic threads I've read on TV.

It's funny because I almost started this thread myself before, but I was going to focus primarily on Asia because that is where I have been almost exclusively outside U.S.

You sound like a real kiss ass!

Just wanted to drop a note to the OP and all the participated to say thanks. This has been one of the more informative and on topic threads I've read on TV.

It's funny because I almost started this thread myself before, but I was going to focus primarily on Asia because that is where I have been almost exclusively outside U.S.

Most people are Christians in Vietnam?????Sorry but this is irresponsible BS!

Other observations. The country is very clean, similar to Taiwan or Japan, certainly a lot cleaner than Thailand. Also if religion is important to you, most people are Christians in Vietnam.

Personally I could see myself living there as an expat.

Your post is total nonsense....Japanese and Korean girls are very friendly and Philippines food is atrocious!

South Korea (Seoul)

• Safety – Super safe

Japan (Tokyo)

• Safety – super safe

Cambodia (Phnom Penh)

Indonesia (Jakarta)

China (Shanghai)

Philippines (Manila)

Your post is total nonsense....Japanese and Korean girls are very friendly and Philippines food is atrocious!

South Korea (Seoul)

• Safety – Super safe
Japan (Tokyo)
  • Safety – super safe
Cambodia (Phnom Penh)
Indonesia (Jakarta)
China (Shanghai)
Philippines (Manila)
my post is based on my experiences which i detailed very clearly. So far all you have done is insult and discount others posts with no actual relevant information.

Thanks for adding the usual Worthless TV comments to an overall informative thread.

South Korea (Seoul)

• Safety – Super safe

Japan (Tokyo)

• Safety – super safe

Cambodia (Phnom Penh)

Indonesia (Jakarta)

China (Shanghai)

Philippines (Manila)

Great Post and thanks for taking the time.

I have worked in 4 of them. Never felt threatened or felt my safety was at risk in any of them. I'm with you, I was in SZ China. Personally I cannot stand any Chinese food. It ranks right up there with Filipino food, its just terrible. Filipino food IMHO is just down right bland and Chinese food is greasy. I found a few places near the hotel I was staying at that I could handle.

In the end I was not driven to stay in any country for the "Pretty women". They can be found in every country mentioned, its all about meeting the right one. I was more about my bang for the buck, the people in general, the cuisine, weather and its location in relation to other countries.Thailand was it for me.

I will say while I never lived in Vietnam, it did appeal to me. I traveled there a few times but not anything long enough to fuse myself into society. Personally I do not like the language. It grates on my nerves like Cantonese and Mandarin. Hanoi was like any big city. People were quite friendly. Food was descent. Beer horrific, weather OK.

All the countries I've lived in have been pretty much the same. The guys working on the project were the same, the job was the same, the rest was just peripheral.

The only expat postings I've declined have been places I've never been, so that was prejudice, rather than knowledge, There's none of the places I've worked I'd not go back to, though some might need better remuneration than others (though generally, that is on offer).

I never thought I would get a good salary in my current country, nor in Thailand, though from the people I know working in Thailand that is obviously not the case, and I was wrong about my current posting as well, which highlights that it is whom you know, rather than where you know, that matters.

I wouldn't recommend Thailand to people who were lacking in self-discipline, or who were easily led astray, if they professed to wanting a good career

SC

USA

Florida and California.

Nice weather, food very cheap, consumer goods very cheap, women expensive ..... but I'm not American so I can't live there year round.

Spain

Nice weather, food limited, wine very cheap, consumer goods expensive ...... too dry and arid for me and the girls are non-existent.

Maybe it's different now the unemployment rate is over 25% .... girls may be on the market.

France

Same as Spain but food more expensive and more varied.

A friend of mine lives in the USA - three, actually, but they are not there on expat packages, and seem to have gone bush.

They don't seem to find it difficult to live there, and don't complain about it.

SC

Lake Chalapa and Guadalajara in Mexico, or Cancun if you like beaches. Cheap, good weather, nice women, good food and close to everywhere. Cheap air fares to the US, Canada, Cuba, Europe. Also safe, using the same common sense than in any other countries. Spanish it is easier to learn than Thai, and Latino women are not motivated only by money. Most Thai women do.

Brazil beaches are also good and cheap areas for expats, but air fares to US and Europe are expensive. people are very friendly and its loves foreigners.

Women are very beautiful, and very open minded. White and blonde women in the South, Black women in the North, and everything in between.

Looking for a peaceful life and close to everything?. The Italian, Spaniel and Portuguese countryside. Cheap too.

Only the big cities are expensive everywhere. Bangkok is an example.

I live here, in North Thailand, just because it is very cheap, I found a good wife, and I am too old now to keep looking, ...if not....

Edited by BKResort

Luanda, Angola

Traffic - The worst ever

Food - Expensive as hell but tastes good with the Portuguese influence

People - Friendly

Girls - Pretty and available

Language - Portuguese so can get by

Bars - sme good ones down the beach but expensive as hell again

Thailand much better.