Thai Elite Visa is actually 6 Years?

I thought somebody said you actually get an extra year so you have 6 years total in country, but I can't find that. Has anybody had the Elite long enough or can anybody verify that last extension/stamp will actually cover 6 years total from when you first entered the country?

• The visa is valid for 5 years.

If you enter at the end of the 5 years you will be given a 1 year stay making a total of 6 years possible.

Not sure if you can avoid the exit/entry and simply apply for an extension of stay at the end of 5 years.

The new 5 year elite membership has not been around long enough for anybody to try getting an entry just before the visa expires. But since it is a multiple entry visa it seems it should not be a problem to do it. Any entry you did during the last year would put you past the expiration date.

Of course the membership would be gone after 5 years so no service at the airport and etc.

• Like 1

Actually, not sure you would get a one year stamp. I got about 10 months on my first entry and about 7 months on my last entry. Not sure why I am not being given a full 12 months.

On my first entry I pointed out to the Thai Elite lady that it was not one year. She took it back to immigration, but the 'correction' was still less than 12 months.

Basically, I would NOT count on getting a 12 months entry stamp, especially at the end of the 5 year visa validity.

• Like 1

The new 5 year elite membership has not been around long enough for anybody to try getting an entry just before the visa expires. But since it is a multiple entry visa it seems it should not be a problem to do it. Any entry you did during the last year would put you past the expiration date.

Of course the membership would be gone after 5 years so no service at the airport and etc.

You would get Elite service for that last entry, as you would have to enter BEFORE the visa expired. But nothing after the visa had actually expired.

• The visa is valid for 5 years.
  • If you enter at the end of the 5 years you will be given a 1 year stay making a total of 6 years possible.
  • Not sure if you can avoid the exit/entry and simply apply for an extension of stay at the end of 5 years.

This is still just theory, right? While your number 2 point may be correct, I wonder, if you do successfully do this, what happens when you show up for your 90 report?

I'm in the process of applying the Thailand Easy Access Membership. I paid them a visit last month and asked all the concerned questions including this one. The person who I spoke to is the Sales Channel Manager of Thailand Privilege Card Co., Ltd. He said that yes I will get a one year stamp but the visa will be expired, so the answer is no.

Well since no one has actually experienced this, I would just wait and see how it goes...

sorry if not appropirate, but is this visa not a cheaper option than the retirement visa ?

I think you refering to the 800'000 Baht in the bank. But the difference between this 2 visas are, that you have to pay the 500'00 Baht for the Elite and this money is gone.

The 800'000 Baht for the retirement visa is still on the bank.. this is only to prove that you have enough funds for staying 1 year in Thailand as the count about 65'000 Baht per month for a farang to stay confortable in thailand.

So it is not cheaper. Except you count in all other benefits and really use all of this benefits... then maybe the elite can become less expensive, but i guess it will always be more expensive... even if you would would all benefits which are offered by yourself.

thanks HampiK for the quick reply

i must be wrong then

yes bht800,000 funds in bank or bht65,000 per month provable (if such word) income

that is bht780,000 a year (for 1 year) bht3,900,000 (five years) +cost of visas and travel expenses

500,000 baht for 5 year visa

i must be wrong then

yes bht800,000 funds in bank or bht65,000 per month provable (if such word) income

that is bht780,000 a year (for 1 year) bht3,900,000 (five years) +cost of visas and travel expenses

The 500,000 baht is the fee you pay for the Elite Visa. You do not get it back.

The 800,000 baht in the bank is in your name and yours to spend. You just have to show the money in the bank. It can be the same 800,000 for all five years, but it is yours all the time.

i must be wrong then

The 500,000 baht is the fee you pay for the Elite Visa. You do not get it back.

The 800,000 baht in the bank is in your name and yours to spend. You just have to show the money in the bank. It can be the same 800,000 for all five years, but it is yours all the time.

hope he get it now coffee1.gif

but it is yours all the time.

I can assure you that could change in a blink biggrin.png

Can you give us an example of such a radical change that has previously occurred ?

That's why I wrote could. Red flags are deposit garantueed drops to 1 mb in 2016 or bank account raiding in Cyprus. You will never now what the future brings to the great banking system we have.

Thanks for the replies guys. That last re-entry, if you get it would be the key and might tip you to up to 6 years. Interesting that some people seemed to not get a full year on some re-entries. Anyway, my question was geared towards how one more year 6 vs. 5 starts to make the Elite Visa a little more attractive as you get to "amortize" the cost of the visa over 6 years versus 5. You folks answered it well. Thanks

Oh and that fellow trying to compare 800k retirement cash balance to the 500 k elite visa cost, just thought I would mention that if he qualifies, of course he could use the income method.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies guys. That last re-entry, if you get it would be the key and might tip you to up to 6 years. Interesting that some people seemed to not get a full year on some re-entries. Anyway, my question was geared towards how one more year 6 vs. 5 starts to make the Elite Visa a little more attractive as you get to "amortize" the cost of the visa over 6 years versus 5. You folks answered it well. Thanks

If you enter before the visa expires you will get a full 1 year stay. So it's a good option for people interested in maximum stay and are not bothered about the membership benefits that expire at the end of 5 years.

Thailand elite will no advertise this fact as they want someone to renew membership at the end of the 5 years.

Yes. In a similar way to the multiple entry O-A visa. You can get "up to 2 years" because you can leave and re-enter right before it expires to get another 1 year stamp.

Or the multiple entry O, ED, B visas. You can get "up to 15 months" because you do a border run right before it expires, you get another 90 day stamp.

It's not advertised directly, but the possibility is there if you time your entries correctly.

On that last entry (and after the visa expires), if you need to leave the country but still want to preserve the permission to stay, then you'd apply for a re-entry permit before you leave.

• Like 1

Hi all

sorry to be the stupid one that keeps 'banging on' in this topic

yes i understand the 500,000 is a 'one off' 'up front' non refundable payment

so is that all you pay OR like the 'reteriment visa' or permission to stay' do you have to prove either

money in the bank or monthly income (or combination of both)

this is a web site/page i found for the elite visa

http://www.thailandelite.com/aboutus.php

does however say it is a multiple entry visa

can not find anything that says you must leave thailand every year

or that prove of funds (for want of a better term) is required

maybe they asume that because you can shell out 500,00 that you have 'enough money' may immigration

asks you before your electric cart ride to the waiting limo!!

as i have read many places this is after all thailand

yes the money in the bank is yours to keep and not 'THEIRS' but if you do not

have the 65,000 (780,000 per year) monthly income then you will surely need at some point to 'dip in' to that 800,000

and then 2 months before next visa renewal you will need to 'top it up'

and at current exchange rates (5/11/15 at £1=52thb) who can afford to have around £17k sitting in the bank!

every visa (except the tourist visa on arrival 30day, but then reading forums here that is really not a visa just permission 'to stay' in thailand) cost money but i guess someone will correct me if i am wrong.

name calling and 'slagging off' excpted if i have got this wrong

thanks for read

If the same 800k stays in the bank for years untouched, do they ever ask to see your "living expenses" account ?

I suppose they could and make it uncomfortable for you, but I haven't met anyone yet who can show me a written rule that states you have to show 1 baht of spending. Tell them you live with a rich widow.

Hi all

sorry to be the stupid one that keeps 'banging on' in this topic

yes i understand the 500,000 is a 'one off' 'up front' non refundable payment

so is that all you pay OR like the 'reteriment visa' or permission to stay' do you have to prove either

money in the bank or monthly income (or combination of both)

this is a web site/page i found for the elite visa

http://www.thailandelite.com/aboutus.php

does however say it is a multiple entry visa

can not find anything that says you must leave thailand every year

or that prove of funds (for want of a better term) is required

maybe they asume that because you can shell out 500,00 that you have 'enough money' may immigration

asks you before your electric cart ride to the waiting limo!!

as i have read many places this is after all thailand

yes the money in the bank is yours to keep and not 'THEIRS' but if you do not

have the 65,000 (780,000 per year) monthly income then you will surely need at some point to 'dip in' to that 800,000

and then 2 months before next visa renewal you will need to 'top it up'

and at current exchange rates (5/11/15 at £1=52thb) who can afford to have around £17k sitting in the bank!

every visa (except the tourist visa on arrival 30day, but then reading forums here that is really not a visa just permission 'to stay' in thailand) cost money but i guess someone will correct me if i am wrong.

name calling and 'slagging off' excpted if i have got this wrong

thanks for read

You can use the "Combination" method & use any income you have to offset against the 800kTHB.

E.g. If you had income from (say a pension) of 50kTHB pm (600kTHB pa) you would only need to show 200kTHB in the bank.

No offense but if you don't have an income & can't afford to leave £17k in the bank I would respectably suggest you might want to rethink retiring as things are not going to get cheaper.

Actually, not sure you would get a one year stamp. I got about 10 months on my first entry and about 7 months on my last entry. Not sure why I am not being given a full 12 months.

On my first entry I pointed out to the Thai Elite lady that it was not one year. She took it back to immigration, but the 'correction' was still less than 12 months.

Basically, I would NOT count on getting a 12 months entry stamp, especially at the end of the 5 year visa validity.

This is interesting, I have a theory that I'd like to run by you.

Is it possible that they have issued an entrance stamp which takes you up to the next anniversary of the visa issue / first use date ?

For example, if you got the visa in June and return to Thailand in August would they give you a 10 month stamp taking you up to next June ?

Using this logic if you got the visa in June and left / returned to Thailand in November you would then get 7 months up until the visa activation anniversary date the following June.

I hope this makes sense, there must be some reasoning behind it - even if they're completely wrong in what they're doing.

Where were these short stay stamps issued ? Was it in Bangkok airport ?

Hello!

I used PE Visa about 6 or 7 times already in and out this year. The first time direct to Chiang Mai airport the officer appeared like he had never seen PE visa before. Chiang Mai does not have Thailand Elite staff for greeting.He asked another agent guy something and I got 90 days. Another time when I flew BKK the IO asked me How long you stay? I got 30 days entry. Maybe he did not want to change his stamp? Thailand Elite said it was a mistake and I should check the stamp before leaving but I work outside Thailand and never stay long anyway.

• Like 1

Hello!

I used PE Visa about 6 or 7 times already in and out this year. The first time direct to Chiang Mai airport the officer appeared like he had never seen PE visa before. Chiang Mai does not have Thailand Elite staff for greeting.He asked another agent guy something and I got 90 days. Another time when I flew BKK the IO asked me How long you stay? I got 30 days entry. Maybe he did not want to change his stamp? Thailand Elite said it was a mistake and I should check the stamp before leaving but I work outside Thailand and never stay long anyway.

I've had similar experiences. The visa remains a bit outside of passport controls status quo and I continually get met with confusion. I recon the thaielite meet and greet people are there just as much to assist immigration as they are to assist you.

At CNX, I recommend to only go through the Thai only queue (even though it's the furthest from the escalator and the baggage carousel), it has the thaielite placard on the counter and the IOs at that counter seems to be more aware. A few days ago I went through the Thai only queue, and besides the initial confusion because I'm not Thai, the IO was very helpful and was all done correctly. Unlike 6 weeks back, I went through a standard foreigner queue closer to the baggage carousel and the IO wouldn't recognise the visa and began interrogating me about why I had so many stamps and what I was doing in Thailand and that I needed a proper visa blah blah blah. I had to ask to speak to his supervisor, after a few words my passport was stamped.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i have a Thai elite visa and was stopped trying to exit the country because they had forgotten to stamp me in for 12 months, i was with the elite staff and the problem although worrying for 10 minutes as they were very serious about it, was fixed and blamed on immigration fault forgetting my stamp... always check you have 12 months (thats what you are paying half a million baht for) no excuses!

Edited by djlest
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
12 minutes ago, djlest said:

any updates on the 6 year Thai elite visa, are they stamping 12 months if you re enter 2 week before expiry etc?
Anyone tried it?

I can recall a post by member that had less than a year left on his PE visa and got stamped in for one year.

I don't recall any other ones.

• Like 1