Learning To Read Thai....

austallia_1980

I have started with a book for Thai children that allows me to draw all of the Thai Cononsents.

My girl has told me how to say each one and I have memorized that also.

However, it seems to me that I am just memorizing what the symbol looks like... This would be the same as a Thai person who knew that Pig meant Moo, but he doesnt actually know how to sound out Pig phonetically.

So, how do I learn how to actually read Thai language? Are there any good books for this? Also, I am finding it nearly impossible to get all of the sounds correct. I am pretty fustrated and if I become fluent in Thai I would consider this more impressive than my Law Degree!

Hi, i am learning thai too now, for about 2 months: writing, reading and speaking. The following are my experiences:

First learnt writing. Indeed, with some children books. got that covered in one month (this I did already a long time ago). After that, stamped the koh-kai koh-khai, koh khuwat (44) into my head by repetition. Never bothered about pronouncation (it will come through use, as well as grammar).

Two months ago, I picked up a small thai book, which had info about a subject I like. I started copying the text, wrote under there the same sounds, but using the alphabet. under there, the translation.

You will find out that thai writing is very different from spoken thai. There are a lot of redundant words. Don't bother about tonage, pronouncation. It comes when you practice it on the street, work etc.

If you ever read about speed-reading/learning you will do good to stay away from the "old schools" (Learning by repitition). Not only do you save a lot of money, you will learn much faster. It is based on a lot more than only books, e.g. sound, visual and feeling, so almost every thing learned (like a word from a different language) is connected to a memorable event. You can figure for yourself if russians can learn french in 30 days (read/write/speak!) what it takes for an english speaking person to learn thai.

Since I have not so much time, I still set my goal to be able to read a thai newspaper within 6 months.

good luck

Has anyone here ever posted what is the best way to learn to read and write thai from the beginning.

I speak Thai fairly well and now would like to learn how to read and write the language.

It is a real challenge, but think of how knowing how C A T all of a sudden produces the word cat.

Sounding out Thai letters and consonants should be the same; in fact supposedly because of the variety of tones the written language is much more precise.

I have started with a book for Thai children that allows me to draw all of the Thai Cononsents.

However, it seems to me that I am just memorizing what the symbol looks like... This would be the same as a Thai person who knew that Pig meant Moo, but he doesnt actually know how to sound out Pig phonetically.

So, how do I learn how to actually read Thai language? Are there any good books for this? Also, I am finding it nearly impossible to get all of the sounds correct. I am pretty fustrated and if I become fluent in Thai I would consider this more impressive than my Law Degree!

When I first decided I wanted to learn to read I looked all over for a flashcard type program to help me memorize. I couldn't find anything so I wrote my own program. It was a great help in associating letters to the English phonetic. If you are interested PM me. I also added a small searchable dictionary and the original source (Mary Haas, I believe) book.

For intermediate students of Thai, I suggest buying some children's books published by Nation Egmont.

These are pulished for Thai students of English but have simple and interesting stories with both the Thai and English text. You can find them in many bookshops such as those in Central, but usually hidden in the Thai language children's sections.

Titles include several containing Disasterous Dez, The Chills, Scooby-Doo etc.

Until I came across these books I was wondering why there were so few bi-lingual books available in Thailand. I am always amazed how many times I can understand everyword in a Thai sentence but completely misinterpret the meaning of the sentence. This must also apply to Thai students learning English. These books are a good start, pity there aren't more bi-lingual story books (with sensible plots) available.

Just like you learnt the Thai alphet characters ก ข ช etc you need to learn the Thai vowels aswell and that is the hardest. If your Thai girl taught you how to sound Thai letters than she should be able to teach you how to sound Thai vowels. Just like this เ-า makes the vowel sound ouw (as in it hurt) you put whatever letter in the middle to make the initial sound. Learning to read and write any language is about memorising.

Memorise the vowels just like the letters and you will be well on your way.

In The Rai!

I recommend this book:

อ่านอย่างอัจฉริยะ ชั้น ป.1 เล่ม 1

and

อ่านอย่างอัจฉริยะ ชั้น ป.1 เล่ม 2

Written by Dr. กร่าง ไพรวรรณ

only 44 บาท at CU Book Center (Near Siam Square)

I used this book to teach my son and he managed to read before entering school (at 3 year old)

The first book seperates words within the sentence and uses colorlized text so that you don't need to parse the sentence (which is not easy for non-native). On the second book, you should be able to read the complete sentence by yourselve. Get a kid to read it for you several times and you read along. Try to read it in front of a kid and let him correct it for you.

This is the best book I have seen. You can order online also at:

Click here to see this book at CU Book Center

Or go to Chulalongkon University's book center at Siam Square to get your copy.

PS. My son can read before knowing vowels. He knew only the 44 alphabets. So, I think vowels are not much neccessary. Just do the 44 alphabets and skip to read the sentence. It's more natural. Even for Thai adults, we don't actually see the vowels when reading, we just read using context and pattern reconnition. Only for some rare words that need spelling and then vowels will come to play.

Edited by qualigenz

PS. My son can read before knowing vowels. He knew only the 44 alphabets. So, I think vowels are not much neccessary. Just do the 44 alphabets and skip to read the sentence. It's more natural. Even for Thai adults, we don't actually see the vowels when reading, we just read using context and pattern reconnition. Only for some rare words that need spelling and then vowels will come to play.

Very good insight from an "insider" , thanks for the viewpoint !

I am really enjoying this thread its giving me some good ideas to help me with Thai reading and writing. The bilingual books that rak sa_ngop mentioned sound like an excellent way to improve my understanding of Thai.

If you ever read about speed-reading/learning you will do good to stay away from the "old schools" (Learning by repitition). Not only do you save a lot of money, you will learn much faster. It is based on a lot more than only books, e.g. sound, visual and feeling, so almost every thing learned (like a word from a different language) is connected to a memorable event. You can figure for yourself if russians can learn french in 30 days (read/write/speak!) what it takes for an english speaking person to learn thai.

I know nothing about speed learning and would like to find out more about it, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks to all

I do agree that is probably the best way for a native speaker as a native language. Native speakers have their parents reading with them all the time and when they read they usually know alot more words than someone who is starting out from scratch. If the farang has someone who can spend alot of time each day reading and reading until it is remembered than I am sure it is a good method, but for those who are learning from a basic level, than I think it is important to learn the vowel sounds and that way from day dot, they know what each sound is. Then after alot of reading practice they wont see the vowels either, it will be as common as it is for a native speaker.

In The Rai!

I do agree that is probably the best way for a native speaker as a native language. Native speakers have their parents reading with them all the time and when they read they usually know alot more words than someone who is starting out from scratch. If the farang has someone who can spend alot of time each day reading and reading until it is remembered than I am sure it is a good method, but for those who are learning from a basic level, than I think it is important to learn the vowel sounds and that way from day dot, they know what each sound is. Then after alot of reading practice they wont see the vowels either, it will be as common as it is for a native speaker.

In The Rai!

Agree here. Maybe the way we learn a language as the first language and as a second language does not go the same path. Kid's brain is almost empty and can be quickly memorize pattern. Adults need to learn it in more systematically way.

In The Rai!

Agree here. Maybe the way we learn a language as the first language and as a second language does not go the same path. Kid's brain is almost empty and can be quickly memorize pattern. Adults need to learn it in more systematically way.

I agree. For me (being a native english speaker) i have had to learn all the consonants AND vowels, otherwise i was just not making the words sound right :o

I have been reading and writing Thai for about 12 years...I started using primer books with a Thai teacher....she taught us what the letter was, how to pronounce it and how to write the letters.

Gor -Gai etc...is exactly the same as the A for Apple system and the Thai vowel system is as important as A,E,I,O,U is in english....

We all learn to speak, read and write our own languages by memorization and practice....Thai is no different....learn the alphabet and how to recognise the pronounciation and then practice like heck. I used to read anything with Thai writing on it.

And if it becomes a drudge....try writing english words in Thai script or playing Thai songs and then translating them into english...dont put pressure on yourselves to learn learn learn....make it fun and you will enjoy it a lot more.

Yep, you will need to put your work in getting the sounds right. It is very possible at this stage that what you think you are hearing and saying is different from what a Thai is actually saying. This may sound confusing but it is an effect from the previous language programming you have in your brain, which tries to incorporate Thai sounds into your existing sound system.

This is of course not possible for all sounds. Some of them are clearly different from all sounds in English, and you will need to learn to where and how to move your tongue and lips in order to get it right. Then you have to practice again and again.

There are Beginners courses with tape or CD that teach you this on a systematic level. My own personal favourite among these is Teach yourself Thai by David Smyth. The only thing that I dont like about it is that it uses a transcription system different from all other transcriptions you will encounter, and it will not be helpful. You are better off ignoring it altogether and focusing on reading out the sounds from the Thai characters instead.

AUA publishes a pair of books - one for reading, the other for writing. They're very thorough. The reading book is particularly good because it has a large section on reading handwritten Thai - something I haven't seen in any other book.

You can pick the books up from AUA's Rajadamri branch (shop closed 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.) for 250 Baht each, if memory serves me right.

I just finished the 4 week course "Cracking the Fundamentals". It is a very different approach to learning. I've been studing Thai for 18 months and have a workable basic converasation but no reading. Stu's approach is quite unique - it's almost more about understanding the Thai language than learning the Thai language. But in 4 3 hour clases, (had I done my homework), I would understand with a good system for memory he has all the classes, tone rules, key vowell sounds in the writting. Even given what a slacker (just too busy with work) student I am I still have most of this in my head. I look at newspapers now and it's "Oh I get that" This seemed to much for me and he made it easy. Also good tips on how to read Thai. And also just getting past word for word translation and understanding how some fundamental building block words are concepts that don't translate - the light bulb really went on there.

I wish I'd learned to read in the beginning. Transliteration is a bad crutch.

Contact: Stuart Raj - [[email protected]] and he will send you the info.

Derek

I like the "reading" part of the seasite web-site:

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Thai/language/reading.htm

The Maanni reader books are very nice.

You should use the unicode version if you don't want to install new fonts on your computer.

I think it's quiet easy to learn to read Thai if you don't take into account the tones. Knowing the correct tone is quiet hard. Writing is also not that easy because the are often several possibilities to write a word (and only one is correct). I hate those transliterations to English because in every book they use a different system. They just confuse me.

I can read Thai. But I just don't seem to be able to remember the vocabulary.

• 1 month later...