Nakhon Si Thammarat: Assassins Gun Down Shaman, Lucky Numbers Blamed

webfact

Assassins Gun Down Shaman, Lucky Numbers Blamed
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14467106591446710843l.jpg
An investigator at the shrine of a shaman murdered last night in Nakhon Si Thammarat province.

NAKHON SI THAMMARAT — Chaiyuth Phetsringen had an uncanny ability to divine winning numbers, according to locals in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat. So good was the 41-year-old shaman at foretelling winning digits, it might have killed him.

Chaiyuth – called “Guan Yu” for the dead Chinese general believed to inhabit his body – died in a hail of bullets as he was walking out from the shrine where he held court. Police arrived to find him dead on the scene with six apparent gunshot wounds witnesses said were fired from a black car 10 meters from the shrine.

Two people won the street lottery jackpot with Chaiyuth’s numbers last month, according to police Lt. Col. Prapan Decharath, and locals believe those running the numbers racket were angry at having to make big payouts.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1446710659

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-05

I was expecting a tale of a disgruntled customer who was angry he lost.

Instead, I found a story which implies that this 'shaman' had some kind of rigged deal going with one or more of those involved in the numbers racket, and was gunned down for his troubles.

If my suspicions are correct, more related murders are likely to follow, though they may not receive press coverage.

This is kind of related. I knew a monk up country who was pretty good at coming up with numbers in the two number lottery. He was correct three or for times over about a 6 month period. He was finally asked to stop giving out numbers by the head Buddhist monk in the province. Turns out the lottery runners for the local gombah gave a large donation to the head monk in exchange for stopping this lucky monk. Seems they were paying out too much money to the winners. They weren't happy. coffee1.gif

Edited by khaowong1

Ahh, the inscrutable immutable strikes again. I have been here a long time in Asia and the superstition revolving around numbers, Lotto included, is always fascinating. As the gentleman above points out that when your number is up, well, it's up. Especially when it's you everyone is counting on for doling out the right numbers.