Armoured Mercedes-Benz car purchase clarified

webfact

Armoured car purchase clarified

s600-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Secretariat of the Prime Minister yesterday clarified the purchase of three armoured Mercedes-Benz cars at 78 million baht saying it was not extravagant as the price was lower than the budget set aside for the purchase by the previous government.

The prime minister’s secretary-general Gen Wilas Aroonsri stated at the press conference that in fact three armoured Mercedes-Benz S600 Guard and a Volkswagen van were purchased at 78 million baht.

Earlier the budget set aside by the Yingluck government for four armoured sedans was about 90 million baht, he said.

But the purchase this time was for three armoured Mercedes-Benz S600 Guard and a Volkswagen van, he said.

Such amount used was therefore not extravagant because it was lower than the budget which was earlier by the previous government of former premier Yingluck Shinawatra, he said.

He went on explaining that the government saw the project worthwhile and necessary in the aspect of security where the vehicles would appropriately serve in welcoming the country’s high profile guests.

Gen Wilas said earlier many international guests have been arriving in Thailand lately, which prompted the secretariat to ask the government for support in providing vehicles to take care of the guests.

But since the government does not have enough armoured vehicles to lend out, some vehicles were taken out from the prime minister’s caravan instead, which was not very convenient.

(Picture of Mercedes-Benz from uae.yallamotor.com)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/armoured-car-purchase-clarified-2

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-06

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends if you can do maths or not

Under Yingluck it was 90million for 4 Mercedes = 22.5million each

Under Prayut it is 78million for 3 same Mercedes and Volkswagen for 78 million

Lets assume 5million for the van (a guess)

That leaves 73million for 3 Mercedes = 24.3million each

Someone is trying to confuse us with that van.

....and I have way too much time on my hands today.

Who gives a crap about the previous government that you toppled in a coup. Why are you always comparing things done by the previous government in order to try to justify yours and their incompetence.

Hypothesis:

Well the previous government lost 600 billion baht in the rice scheme and we have only lost 599 billion baht so we saved 1 billion baht which makes us a better government.

Edited by ldiablo

Depends if you can do maths or not

Under Yingluck it was 90million for 4 Mercedes = 22.5million each

Under Prayut it is 78million for 3 same Mercedes and Volkswagen for 78 million

Lets assume 5million for the van (a guess)

That leaves 73million for 3 Mercedes = 24.3million each

Someone is trying to confuse us with that van.

biggrin.png yeah, that can happen!

These guys have no need to compare their costs to the money budgeted by the previous government in order to justify the costs, they just need to open up the purchasing process and records / receipts from Daimler and VW to the public and the press.

That would be so simple... whistling.gif

Who gives a crap about the previous government that you toppled in a coup. Why are you always comparing things done by the previous government in order to try to justify yours and their incompetence.

Hypothesis:

Well the previous government lost 600 billion baht in the rice scheme and we have only lost 599 billion baht so we saved 1 billion baht which makes us a better government.

They didn't lose 600 billion. 100 billion went where it was supposed to and they stole the other 500 billion.

And that is as near is your argument got to reality.

How do you figure buying armoured cars to transport politicians around is incompetence ?. What a ridiculous thing to write. Thailand needs them more than most countries with the M79 wielding terrorist problem it has.

And did you see the time Abhisit dared to go up North ?. Those medieval throwbacks would have killed him if they could have got to him.

Oh - you are just ranting with any old nonsense which comes into your head whilst speckling the keyboard with flem !!!. Dang, you got me that time.

Hypothesis:

They didn't lose 600 billion. 100 billion went where it was supposed to and they stole the other 500 billion.

How do you figure buying armoured cars to transport politicians around is incompetence ?. What a ridiculous thing to write. Thailand needs them more than most countries with the M79 wielding terrorist problem it has.

And did you see the time Abhisit dared to go up North ?. Those medieval throwbacks would have killed him if they could have got to him.

Oh - you are just ranting with any old nonsense which comes into your head whilst speckling the keyboard with flem !!!. Dang, you got me that time.

My trolling radar is dinging.

Hypothesis:

Au contraire my friend, they do care what the old governments said or did but only when it suites the new government,

when it suites them they calculate according to the previous government, but if they need to blame the old

government that who going to stop them?

Hypothesis:

Yet NACC called it a 600 billion loss. And at present time, the charges are malfeasance/negligence, not theft.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your daily "deposit".

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Hypothesis:

My trolling radar is dinging.

Unfortunately, the EJ pattern is repetitive and tiresome. It goes something like this:

1) Introductory Insult

2) Hyperbolic argument

3) Parting Insult

It's not exactly a a formula for "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

Yingluck Govt has not been there for 19 months, you dont need to spend the budget.

Where are the 22 bullet proof Range Rovers that the Democrat Government ordered, are they not okay for visiting dignatories?

I do wonder who will be seen in these cars the most.... visitors? ...

Hypothesis:

78 million for Three merc's n a VW van, so justifying it by saying the last gov budgeted for 90 million for four merc's. apples n oranges...

So you got the budget for the fast trains by last gov with spec's on trains and klm's of track, and the current boys in office for their budget for fast trains with spec's??? of trains and klm's of track???

But these boys don't like it when people ask questions, and when uncle too opens his flap and says stuff which he is now legendry for it's bound for a laugh and just a matter of time till he back peddles like a Capuchin monkey.whistling.gif

Clearly this expense is not necessary.

With all the un-earned, purely decorative "Tin" most Thai Military display on their uniforms they must be de-facto bulletproof already.

Patrick

And there is me thinking that the military bling just meant that they were brave enough to ride around in unarmoured vehicles, just like they expect their boys in pickups and on Honda Waves to do down south!

Hypothesis:

Oh John. If only you were worth the time to explain my post in detail, but you're not.

Enjoy your weekend on the stool.

Edited by ldiablo

Hypothesis:

Sorry Sir John but what has the rice scheme got to do with the purchases of 4 luxury vehicles ? AV bought 22 vehicles for this purpose why aren't they used ? In times when the economy is not good (with tax collection below budget, a drought decreasing agricultural output, reviving populist agricultural subsidies, paying for family members and friends to serve as advisors for NLA members, exports decreasing by the month, budget deficit growing and state enterprises making billions in loses), don't you think they should tighten the belt a little bit and only spend money they have and on stuff they really need ?

With due respect Sir what does AV's aborted visit up north have to do with the purchase of vehicles. The only rant I see Sir John is a man that is trying to defend the un-defendable by trying to make two wrongs a right.

Clearly this expense is not necessary.

With all the un-earned, purely decorative "Tin" most Thai Military display on their uniforms they must be de-facto bulletproof already.

Patrick

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif Why not have a general or two ride as bullet shields? The govt. could give them a medal for it!!thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Hypothesis:

Did the previous government also order the 3 submarines and the Bullet to Beijing? Did the old vehicles die of metal fatigue? They are so seldom driven they should last forever but then that would not be showing good face when travelling. There is no money spared for government expenses yet we cannot get a new immigration office in Chiang Mai. Go figure. Just take delivery of 2 and spend the rest on our much needed immigration office now that would impress me. The cliche in Bangkok go first class then there is the rest of the country.

I was in the armored car industry (Iraq).

The most advanced, armored Hummvee (HMMWV) we had went for $200,000 USD.

According to my math, these puppies cost ~ $730,000 USD each.

Where is EnglishJohn?

Corruption is alive and THRIVING.

Now, if we could just get those submarines.....

Hypothesis:

And what about the Land Rovers from Abhisit? The government seems to need to spend on luxury cars each time another Prime minister is in.

Such a huge waste of tax money! Like spoilt kids wanting new toys.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/756224/excesses-will-catch-up-with-the-regime

Sell the crap and spend the money wisely, but then again what is wise in Thailand? Education? Nope. Culture, only for state approved movies.

The 20 Range Rovers have been sold already.

I was in the armored car industry (Iraq).

The most advanced, armored Hummvee (HMMWV) we had went for $200,000 USD.

According to my math, these puppies cost ~ $730,000 USD each.

Where is EnglishJohn?

Corruption is alive and THRIVING.

Now, if we could just get those submarines.....

They were rumoured to have a million dollar (USA) price tag so 730k USD in Thailand is a good price.