2015 Honda Accord or 2008 Benz S300?

So this is sorta an intellectual exercise but I'm also seeking different points of view on the above question. I'm in the market for a new vehicle (current ride is 15 years old Honda CRV) and will likely buy another new or used SUV; however, a nice sedan, while not always practical in Thailand does certainly have a certain allure. What's interesting about my question is that a new top spec 2015 Accord is not that much cheaper (in relative terms) than a 7-8 year old Mercedes-Benz S-class sedan. (Example: http://www.one2car.com/for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-v221-e0-b8-9b-e0-b8-b5-06-10-29-bangkok-metropolitan-leap-tang-duan-rama-in-thra-kaset-nawamin/2500475/ ) So it's sorta a comparison of the top class Japanese affordable sedan vs. a used (but not too) top spec German sedan for about the same money. I also note that some of the top safety and handling features of the 8 year old Benz are still not found on the top Thai spec Accords...like adaptive cruise control (ok...now found on the very top spec Thai accord) and the night-vision control. The number of airbags on the Benz may still beat the Accord as well (but not sure on this point) and there is probably other stuff as well.

So I'm wondering all you out there more knowledgeable about cars than me, what car would you buy? I don't need a car for prestige...just a safe, nice handling, well made car. I know older M-Bs can be money pits to maintain but cars in this price range are still fairly new but the value proposition is probably with the Accord. However, new S-Class cars average about B 6M so getting one for B 2-2.5M...someone's eaten allot of the depreciation for you. I've never had a Merc before so I'm just thinking maybe it would be fun to own and drive one before I die biggrin.png

Your thoughts...

From my perspective and my driving habits (I drive around 1,000 km on average per week for my work), I would opt for the Honda Accord.

The reason is not so much that repairing a Benz would be more costly than the Accord, but if something does go wrong, Honda has a well established dealer network throughout Thailand, and I would be able to get the car repaired at those dealers. I drive often to the Thai country-side or industrial estates 200 km away from Bangkok. For that reason and for piece of mind I would opt for the Accord.

However, if I wouldn't drive too far away from Benz dealers or repair shops, the Benz would be my choice.

From my perspective and my driving habits (I drive around 1,000 km on average per week for my work), I would opt for the Honda Accord.

The reason is not so much that repairing a Benz would be more costly than the Accord, but if something does go wrong, Honda has a well established dealer network throughout Thailand, and I would be able to get the car repaired at those dealers. I drive often to the Thai country-side or industrial estates 200 km away from Bangkok. For that reason and for piece of mind I would opt for the Accord.

However, if I wouldn't drive too far away from Benz dealers or repair shops, the Benz would be my choice.

Interesting...this would be a ride for a retired person and in city driving about 150 km per week or less. MB has been well established in Thailand for decades, with many authorized and independent service points so it would seem service shouldn't be a problem, unlike other premium European brands like Audi, Porsche, or Land Rover. But I take your point.

One is a money pit but vastly superior to the other. Only you can make that leap smile.png

If the Benz beings out the passion in you, and you have the means to keep it maintained - go for it. If nether of them particularly lights your fire, buy the Honda and just forget about cars for a while :P

Edited by IMHO

Underrated is the Teena IMHO.

If I was looking at an upmarket sedan, I would not look anywhere else.

Great ride, quiet, quick.

Benz, BMW etc not enough car for the money. Would rather spend the difference on a second car.

For me, the Honda, but I find German saloons uncomfortable due to the bottom hinged accelerator. My long (sexy) legs mean I can never get comfy unless I twist my leg about a lot. I doubt many others have that issue though.

If I had normal (inferior) legs I'd still go for the Honda for reasons already pointed out and the fact I've never perticularly liked Mercs.

I've been driving anew S300 Blue. It's nice ,but the price over the Nissan n Honda..Up too You.I prefer the Nissan for Cruiser Value. Underrated is the Teena IMHO.

I still prefer driving the previous generation Teana's V6 though - it just had so much pull... When you wanted it to accelerate, it just obeyed without complaint or fuss - the new 4-pot feels more lethargic - but still better than the Camry Hybrid smile.png

If I wanted a D segment car, I'd probably buy a used J32 Teana :P

Edited by IMHO

Clearly a Mercedes S class will be a better ride than a Honda CR-V or any Honda. The problem could come from S and E class mostly being used as limos over here. I looked at countless cars and could not find a nice one, I finally settled for a privately owned, used C class. A great car, comfortable and loads of safety equipment. Always an advantage over here.

If you think Mercedes cars are overpriced in LoS .... Wait till you discover Mercedes servicing and (dread and hell) repairs / parts.

I've had both but not specifically a 2008. To me, buying a pre-owned is a crapshoot and not worth.it. I always buy new and not take on someone else's headache.

Regrettably it's not as straightforward as that, occasionally new cars can be as bad if not worse than secondhand cars in the problem department. It's a known fact that main dealers have little or no interest in warranty repairs due to the restrictions and finances dictated by manufacturers.

But I do take the point ... if you know very little regarding motor vehicle mysterious workings it's probably better to pay the full, albeit inflated, new price and leave the half price bargains for the more knowledgable.

I've had both but not specifically a 2008. To me, buying a pre-owned is a crapshoot and not worth.it. I always buy new and not take on someone else's headache.

Regrettably it's not as straightforward as that, occasionally new cars can be as bad if not worse than secondhand cars in the problem department. It's a known fact that main dealers have little or no interest in warranty repairs due to the restrictions and finances dictated by manufacturers.

But I do take the point ... if you know very little regarding motor vehicle mysterious workings it's probably better to pay the full, albeit inflated, new price and leave the half price bargains for the more knowledgable.

Not only that, occasionally used cars have been owned by someone who truly looked after them, and are only offered for sale because they're stepping up.

Like mine for example :P

The S300 is still far safer for vehicle to vehicle collisions and much harder to lose control of. If you plan to drive them into a brick wall at speed, I'm not sure which would be better but I'd still take the s class.

The s class has a far nicer interior (in terms of build quality and old world charn) but something in the same price range as a top spec accord would be in poor condition and no matter how nice it once was, a new accord would be nicer.

In any case, total cost of ownership are in completely different ranges, the s300 would cost about 600,000 per year for 5 years while a new top spec accord would be closer to 300,000.

Consider a 2008 7 series, not as pretty (inside and out) but otherwise a comparable car that you can get a very good condition example for around 1.2M.

No brainer for me. Give me the Honda. A late model would still be under warranty and nearly any little garage could repair most anything on a Thai made vehicle that was out of warranty at a very reasonable price. The Benz would likely sit outside the shop waiting for any overpriced part that needed to be ordered. Thai mechanics like the hit or miss method of repairing cars that they know nothing about. It is possible that you will need a number of parts that were not actually needed. That may happen with Thai built vehicles also but at least the parts are much cheaper.

If you don't need a car for prestige...just a safe, nice handling, well made car => Accord.

The S Class is a big luxury sedan all about prestige. If you really want the silence and smoothness of a big limo, with gadget bragging rights, the S Class may be worth it.

To me, the option of a used premium brand would be worth the risk (of expensive repairs) if the prestige is valued or the car was some thing different or special, like an older SL. The newer sedans like the C and E class only have a few more hp than a Camry or Accord. They are nicer, but not by a margin proportional to their price, so the buyer must either be a Merc fan or value the prestige to make them worthwhile.

The S300 is still far safer for vehicle to vehicle collisions and much harder to lose control of. If you plan to drive them into a brick wall at speed, I'm not sure which would be better but I'd still take the s class.

The s class has a far nicer interior (in terms of build quality and old world charn) but something in the same price range as a top spec accord would be in poor condition and no matter how nice it once was, a new accord would be nicer.

In any case, total cost of ownership are in completely different ranges, the s300 would cost about 600,000 per year for 5 years while a new top spec accord would be closer to 300,000.

Consider a 2008 7 series, not as pretty (inside and out) but otherwise a comparable car that you can get a very good condition example for around 1.2M.

I'm a little confused regarding your figures on total cost of ownership for the vehicles...you say the Benz would cost B 600k (over US$ 15k) PER year to run and operate or for the 5 year period (B 120k per year)? And what is included in this...gas and scheduled maintenance, and maybe a set of tires?

Not sure about the Honda either...US$ 10k per year seems a bit high or am I misunderstanding you?

I'll check up on the beemers.

PS: You were right...a quick check brought up this car at around the price you figured: http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=2136429

Now the question is why are 7 year old BMWs half the price of similarly aged S classes when they start out about the same price? Maybe the Beemers cost even more to service and maintain?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

If you don't need a car for prestige...just a safe, nice handling, well made car => Accord.

The S Class is a big luxury sedan all about prestige. If you really want the silence and smoothness of a big limo, with gadget bragging rights, the S Class may be worth it.

To me, the option of a used premium brand would be worth the risk (of expensive repairs) if the prestige is valued or the car was some thing different or special, like an older SL. The newer sedans like the C and E class only have a few more hp than a Camry or Accord. They are nicer, but not by a margin proportional to their price, so the buyer must either be a Merc fan or value the prestige to make them worthwhile.

I agree with the new cars...I would never consider a new C or E at 3-5x the price of a new top spec Accord. However, what was interesting to me is that an 7 year-old S-Class Benz (generally considered a class leading car) can be had for only a slight premium to a new top-spec Honda. Maybe it's because once out of warranty, nobody wants them because of the expensive repairs.

I'm a little confused regarding your figures on total cost of ownership for the vehicles...you say the Benz would cost B 600k (over US$ 15k) PER year to run and operate or for the 5 year period (B 120k per year)? And what is included in this...gas and scheduled maintenance, and maybe a set of tires?

Not sure about the Honda either...US$ 10k per year seems a bit high or am I misunderstanding you?

PS: You were right...a quick check brought up this car at around the price you figured: http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=2136429

Now the question is why are 7 year old BMWs half the price of similarly aged S classes when they start out about the same price? Maybe the Beemers cost even more to service and maintain?

Because Thais are clueless probably. You could stick a Merc badge on a Dullota and they wouldn't know the difference.

Because Thais are clueless probably. You could stick a Merc badge on a Dullota and they wouldn't know the difference.

Maybe but I'm sure there's a more likely explanation.

Maybe but I'm sure there's a more likely explanation.

I'd say it's more to do with the Thai's putting the Mercs on a higher pedestal than the BMW's

in the hierarchy chain.

Whereas the reality is that there's not much, if any difference, when it comes to quality

between the two German brands.

It all boils down to personal taste and style, when choosing between them.

I agree with the new cars...I would never consider a new C or E at 3-5x the price of a new top spec Accord. However, what was interesting to me is that an 7 year-old S-Class Benz (generally considered a class leading car) can be had for only a slight premium to a new top-spec Honda. Maybe it's because once out of warranty, nobody wants them because of the expensive repairs.

The top spec Accord Hybrid is 1.9M Baht, so the price gap to a C300 Bluetec Hybrid is more like 1.5x, and to the E300 Bluetec Hybrid, 2x - still not cheap though ;)

The top spec Accord Hybrid is 1.9M Baht, so the price gap to a C300 Bluetec Hybrid is more like 1.5x, and to the E300 Bluetec Hybrid, 2x - still not cheap though ;)

You're correct...I was a little off in my ratios. Top accords would be 1.7-1.9 in petrol or hybrid form...a C-class or 3 series would START about 3 mil or about 1.5x the Honda. Still hard to believe the Honda hybrid is almost the cost of a Tesla S70 in Thailand.

I guess that's about the same ratio (at least) Stateside...top Accord would be $ 35k or less and a C or 3 would start about 50k. So maybe a 100k C class Benz does make sense in the that altered car universe.

I could live with a C200 instead of the C300 no problem. The new C200 is pretty nice and around 2.6M THB, more like 75k.

If you really want a SUV but have an interest in a used prestige brand, how about a used Volvo XC60 or BMW X3?

3 year old Volvos are around half the 3M THB new price.

The pre-2010 prev generation X3s are cheap.

Less prestige than the S Class but more practical. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jitar