Advice on visa now double-entry tourist visa is gone

I think only you can decide if it is worth the hassle to try to stay here or leave. My opinion is that actions speak louder than words and even though no one from the Thai government has come out to say we don't want digital nomads or self sufficient foreigners living here, the current changes in visa policy couldn't be any clearer(Thai style clarity). Contrast the current policy to what was happening just three years ago and it is very easy to see where we are headed. Check out another thread currently running on TV where the OP talks about an Australian getting a 1 Non O visa for visiting friends in Thailand. I also added this; "A Canadian consulate gave me a Non O for visiting my GF 3 1/2 years ago. The consular officials were actively promoting these visas to travelers at the time. You would walk into the the consular office with the intention of obtaining a tourist visa and the official would immediately ask you if you have a GF in Thailand.." It was that easy just 3 years ago. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868486-immigrant-o-visa/

"Thai government has come out to say we don't want digital nomads or self sufficient foreigners living here, the current changes in visa policy couldn't be any clearer(Thai style clarity). "

Apparently the clarity has flown over your head (farang style).

They want those using visa exempt entries to be those who are making short term visits to Thailand and those using tourist visas to be real tourists who have money to spend rather than those who stay here either because they haven't enough money to qualify for any of the legitimate long stay options or those who have taken illegal employment here.

The number of "self-sufficient" foreigners here who can't manage one of the available options, including the option of visiting their home country to obtain the new METV or using the Thai Elite approach is undoubtedly underwhelming compared to the number who exist here year after year doing border runs because they haven't the resources to meet the requirements for a retirement or marriage extension or because they have taken employment without bothering with or qualifying for a work permit. And yet even they can probably soldier on a little less conveniently.

What should inspire clarity is that too many people have abused the system and too many of them have bragged about it on TV and the social media and way too many have continued to stay in the country long after their permission to stay has expired and now the loopholes are being closed. And, as always, there may indeed be some comparatively innocent victims of the crackdown, but put the blame on those who have been gaming the system, not on the government that is making a reasonable response to a problem that is happening world-wide ... economic refugees of one sort of the other regarding some countries as their personal refugee camps.

Sorry I don't fit into any of those groups

I am not retired

I am not married

Even if i could afford a elite visa, I am not sure if i want to live here for all those years

I am not working

And i can't even Get a METV as I don't work the only way for me is to go home take any job what i don't want, I can't even go to India or somewhere then come back in a year or something,that's the bit I hate why can't i go somewhere else as long as I am out of the country say for six months what difference dose it make to them, as long as I out of the country for a while that's the only bit i don't agree with,

I haven't been taking advantage of any loopholes I apply for visas they give them to me

If they don't want me and my money I suppose I will have to leave

The more I think about it the more I think it's time to go

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

To get a long-term visa for India, you now need to return to your home country unless you have residency in the country from which you are applying. Saying that, I was turned down for a 6 month visa last week (I have previously been issued 1 year visas from the Consulate in London as I am a regular visitor to India), as even though I hold a yellow book (tabien baan) my current extension of stay in Thailand would expire before the expiry of the 6 month Indian visa. So basically, unless you have PR, they are limiting any application to the first 6 months of any renewal of any extension of stay which doesn't exactly makes things convenient if you want to go to India at any time during the second half of your extension. I will go to India, but on an eTourist visa, which is only valid for 30 days (and limited to 2 visits in any 12 month period)

Sell one of your rental properties and buy an Elite card with the equity. If your properties are mortaged you are soon going to be getting a lot less income when the tax relieve on mortgage payments ends so probably wont be in a position to stay here or anywhere else. Just a bit of forward thinking.

Good ideal but I have no plans to sell yet maybe never

Also when I hered about that new tax law I looked into it and I don't think it will effect me,i can't remember why it might be because I am on interest only morgatge's, or that I don't make much money any way, I am more worried about intrest rates going up, or i herd that if you become a non resident you will loose your tax free allowance which i herd old Gorge Osborne is talking about in the future

Maybe I will be going home anyway because of the above, if that happens I will just get a bed sit work for six months and come back on a METV

then maybe keep doing that for a few years

Once the rules come into effect, you will only be able to deduct mortgage interest from your taxable earnings if you hold your properties in a company. Individual tax allowances will be withdrawn, so from what you are saying, you will be affected. Whether you are interest only or repayment is irrelevant. Whether you make any profit at all will depend on how much profit you make after both tax and mortgage payments, as you will be taxed on your income less only repairs and maintenance, which tends to be fractional compared to most people's mortgage payments.

If you register as a non-resident, you lose your personal allowances for that tax year. This already is in place.

I thought it went down to the normal 20% tax allowance which I am on anyway

At the moment after everything what I pay, I am left with about 12000 a year,so thought it wouldn't effect me, as I only pay tax on 2000,is that wrong then?

I have no tax allowances on anything at the moment

I thought the non resident rule has yet to come in place or that's what they told me when I phoned the tax office in late 2014

Sell one of your rental properties and buy an Elite card with the equity. If your properties are mortaged you are soon going to be getting a lot less income when the tax relieve on mortgage payments ends so probably wont be in a position to stay here or anywhere else. Just a bit of forward thinking.

Also when I hered about that new tax law I looked into it and I don't think it will effect me,i can't remember why it might be because I am on interest only morgatge's, or that I don't make much money any way, I am more worried about intrest rates going up, or i herd that if you become a non resident you will loose your tax free allowance which i herd old Gorge Osborne is talking about in the future

Maybe I will be going home anyway because of the above, if that happens I will just get a bed sit work for six months and come back on a METV

Once the rules come into effect, you will only be able to deduct mortgage interest from your taxable earnings if you hold your properties in a company. Individual tax allowances will be withdrawn, so from what you are saying, you will be affected. Whether you are interest only or repayment is irrelevant. Whether you make any profit at all will depend on how much profit you make after both tax and mortgage payments, as you will be taxed on your income less only repairs and maintenance, which tends to be fractional compared to most people's mortgage payments.

If you register as a non-resident, you lose your personal allowances for that tax year. This already is in place.

At the moment after everything what I pay, I am left with about 12000 a year,so thought it wouldn't effect me, as I only pay tax on 2000,is that wrong then?

I thought the non resident rule has yet to come in place or that's what they told me when I phoned the tax office in late 2014

Is that not what this says

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/08/osborne-buy-to-let-tax-relief-limit-budget

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/11272572/Expats-will-keep-their-tax-break.html

Edited by roath

Hello,

Maybe you'd be an English teacher to live in Thailand for a long time,

which might be better to go back home and find a job that you don't

like. I wouldn't think it hard for you to find a teaching job as a NES

here as long as you've got a degree.

Edited by Too

A lot of mis-reporting then from UK press who seem to have indicated that the exemption would be lost completely. 20% relief isn't the same as no relief, just higher-rates of relief, although this will still adversely affect a lot of people. I was also not aware of the removal of the automatic 10% deduction against wear-and-tear which I have been applying against my own situation for years, as this is a standard commercial write-off so thanks for the clarification (or thanks to the Guardian on this occasion also)

To get a long-term visa for India, you now need to return to your home country unless you have residency in the country from which you are applying. Saying that, I was turned down for a 6 month visa last week (I have previously been issued 1 year visas from the Consulate in London as I am a regular visitor to India), as even though I hold a yellow book (tabien baan) my current extension of stay in Thailand would expire before the expiry of the 6 month Indian visa. So basically, unless you have PR, they are limiting any application to the first 6 months of any renewal of any extension of stay which doesn't exactly makes things convenient if you want to go to India at any time during the second half of your extension. I will go to India, but on an eTourist visa, which is only valid for 30 days (and limited to 2 visits in any 12 month period)

Not sure of UK rules, but this condition is one of the cases where you could qualify for a 2nd passport from the USA. Check on this, because it would not only make it possible to get your Indian visa, it would also make getting your METV by mail easier, and allow you more SETVs from neighboring consulates.

Edited by JackThompson

A lot of mis-reporting then from UK press who seem to have indicated that the exemption would be lost completely. 20% relief isn't the same as no relief, just higher-rates of relief, although this will still adversely affect a lot of people. I was also not aware of the removal of the automatic 10% deduction against wear-and-tear which I have been applying against my own situation for years, as this is a standard commercial write-off so thanks for the clarification (or thanks to the Guardian on this occasion also)

So I all right on that then?

I hope so don't want something else to worry about

I am not non resident yet till April

Will have to ring the tax man to find out what happens then

Thanks for your advice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/11272572/Expats-will-keep-their-tax-break.html

Thank god for that

Thanks mate

Yes, then what happens if the OP takes your advice, then he is still under fifty in five years?

How easy might it be to pay another 500.000 baht if he has no more properties to sell.

All he would have done is give away all that money to Thailand and get nothing in return.

• Like 1

I think only you can decide if it is worth the hassle to try to stay here or leave. My opinion is that actions speak louder than words and even though no one from the Thai government has come out to say we don't want digital nomads or self sufficient foreigners living here, the current changes in visa policy couldn't be any clearer(Thai style clarity). Contrast the current policy to what was happening just three years ago and it is very easy to see where we are headed. Check out another thread currently running on TV where the OP talks about an Australian getting a 1 Non O visa for visiting friends in Thailand. I also added this; "A Canadian consulate gave me a Non O for visiting my GF 3 1/2 years ago. The consular officials were actively promoting these visas to travelers at the time. You would walk into the the consular office with the intention of obtaining a tourist visa and the official would immediately ask you if you have a GF in Thailand.." It was that easy just 3 years ago. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868486-immigrant-o-visa/

"Thai government has come out to say we don't want digital nomads or self sufficient foreigners living here, the current changes in visa policy couldn't be any clearer(Thai style clarity). "

Apparently the clarity has flown over your head (farang style).

They want those using visa exempt entries to be those who are making short term visits to Thailand and those using tourist visas to be real tourists who have money to spend rather than those who stay here either because they haven't enough money to qualify for any of the legitimate long stay options or those who have taken illegal employment here.

The number of "self-sufficient" foreigners here who can't manage one of the available options, including the option of visiting their home country to obtain the new METV or using the Thai Elite approach is undoubtedly underwhelming compared to the number who exist here year after year doing border runs because they haven't the resources to meet the requirements for a retirement or marriage extension or because they have taken employment without bothering with or qualifying for a work permit. And yet even they can probably soldier on a little less conveniently.

What should inspire clarity is that too many people have abused the system and too many of them have bragged about it on TV and the social media and way too many have continued to stay in the country long after their permission to stay has expired and now the loopholes are being closed. And, as always, there may indeed be some comparatively innocent victims of the crackdown, but put the blame on those who have been gaming the system, not on the government that is making a reasonable response to a problem that is happening world-wide ... economic refugees of one sort of the other regarding some countries as their personal refugee camps.

What are these recent changes and clarifications ti visa policy?

Edited by Maestro
deleted part of post that was in reply to removed post

Not sure of UK rules, but this condition is one of the cases where you could qualify for a 2nd passport from the USA. Check on this, because it would not only make it possible to get your Indian visa, it would also make getting your METV by mail easier, and allow you more SETVs from neighboring consulates.

It is possible to get a second passport from the UK Passport Office, but you need to justify why you need two passports simultaneously (working for a multi-national company and/or frequent business travel are the typical reasons given) and it isn't a given

http://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/2014/03/25/getting-a-second-uk-passport/

I understand the logic of sending my passport back to UK to get visa there, but that doesn't prevent possible (and potentially serious) difficulties if the Indian Immigration authorities checked my entry/exit stamps (for which there would obviously be a deficiency - having two passports doesn't solve that problem and I suspect would make immigration authorities more suspicious, and therefore more likely to check, than less)

I am a big fan of this country, but the way they are treating people under the age of fifty is disgraceful.

If a person under fifty who has income from another country and wants to live here, and is contributing

to the Thai economy, just what is the problem? Why make them jump through so many hoops?

Thailand should be honoured that so many younger people want to come and live here.

If their problem is about undesirables and people from other countries working here illegally, then make the punishments so severe

that these people would not dare risk it.

Common sense is sure lacking badly in this country, they should make their rules and enforce them, what is so hard about that?

my country wouldnt let them just come and live as long as they like either. neither would most. thailand is more welcoming than most.

I am a big fan of this country, but the way they are treating people under the age of fifty is disgraceful.

If a person under fifty who has income from another country and wants to live here, and is contributing

to the Thai economy, just what is the problem? Why make them jump through so many hoops?

Thailand should be honoured that so many younger people want to come and live here.

If their problem is about undesirables and people from other countries working here illegally, then make the punishments so severe

Common sense is sure lacking badly in this country, they should make their rules and enforce them, what is so hard about that?

my country wouldnt let them just come and live as long as they like either. neither would most. thailand is more welcoming than most.

As long as it is proved that they are contributing to the economy, even if it meant reporting every so often, then I don't see the problem, whether it is Thailand or any other country.

The problem would be if they made it easy for immigrants the way the UK does.

• Like 1

As long as it is proved that they are contributing to the economy, even if it meant reporting every so often, then I don't see the problem, whether it is Thailand or any other country.

well, when governments decide that you are a qualified immigration consultant and hire you to advise on policy, let me know. I'll be anxious to see how you do.

• Like 1

It is possible to get a second passport from the UK Passport Office, but you need to justify why you need two passports simultaneously (working for a multi-national company and/or frequent business travel are the typical reasons given) and it isn't a given

I understand the logic of sending my passport back to UK to get visa there, but that doesn't prevent possible (and potentially serious) difficulties if the Indian Immigration authorities checked my entry/exit stamps (for which there would obviously be a deficiency - having two passports doesn't solve that problem and I suspect would make immigration authorities more suspicious, and therefore more likely to check, than less)

Your 2nd passport would not have missing stamps. Only one of the passports is used for both entry and exit to any country. The second would be issued, in this case, specifically to allow its being mailed out for a visa which is non-obtainable, otherwise. But that is per US regulations, so YMMV. As well, things have gotten tighter in this arena, so may be a no-go these days, in either country.

True, but your country probably doesn't rely on tourism for nearly 15% of it's GDP

• Like 1

well, when governments decide that you are a qualified immigration consultant and hire you to advise on policy, let me know. I'll be anxious to see how you do.

I am only giving an opinion on things that are happening.

Your 2nd passport would not have missing stamps. Only one of the passports is used for both entry and exit to any country. The second would be issued, in this case, specifically to allow its being mailed out for a visa which is non-obtainable, otherwise. But that is per US regulations, so YMMV. As well, things have gotten tighter in this arena, so may be a no-go these days, in either country.

I understand the logic. I just wonder though what the Indian immigration officials would say if I have a Visa from London in one passport without corresponding stamps (in/out) from Thailand.

Maybe they wouldn't even check, and maybe it shouldn't matter as you say, but the way that things are at the moment, if they did check, there would be a real possibility that they could refuse entry.

Anyway, as things stand, it would be incredibly difficult for me to get a second passport whether I wanted one or not.

So you are in Thailand, but have nothing to do. Why not go to Cambodia and do nothing there - might be easier visa wise.

Seems your business model is a little fragile when you have interest only mortgaged properties returning 12,000 pound a year.

What will happen when interest rates rise?....and they surely will.

Finally after days of debate we have somebody who gets it.

I am in a similar bind. I could buy the Elite visa, but have always been on the fence about staying on in Thailand anyway. One of the reasons I've stayed so long has been the ease of staying here combined with all the wonderful things Thailand has to offer. But now that I'm facing the decision of 500,000 baht for an elite card or an annoying and uncertain tourist visa situation, I'll be leaving.

• Like 1

So you are in Thailand, but have nothing to do. Why not go to Cambodia and do nothing there - might be easier visa wise.

Seems your business model is a little fragile when you have interest only mortgaged properties returning 12,000 pound a year.

What will happen when interest rates rise?....and they surely will.

Yes maybe you are right about Cambodia

Sorry I don't think my business model is fragile because I have intrest only property's making 12000 a year, intrest only was the only way I could afford to buy 2 at the time, and 2 is better then one have you not seen how house prices are rising,I bought my 2 one month before the crash, so I had a long delay but my plan is working with house prices rising, and I had no idea about intrest rates being so low so this is added bonus and making am making the most out of it why I can, and If intrest rates go up and i can't afford to live here so be it I will go home and work, anyway maybe by the time intrest rates go up maybe we will be back to 70b to the pound, let's hope so

Edited by juice777

I am in a similar bind. I could buy the Elite visa, but have always been on the fence about staying on in Thailand anyway. One of the reasons I've stayed so long has been the ease of staying here combined with all the wonderful things Thailand has to offer. But now that I'm facing the decision of 500,000 baht for an elite card or an annoying and uncertain tourist visa situation, I'll be leaving.

To me it looks like the idea behind METV and scrapping doubles was indeed to promote the Elite. They want more $. I think quite a few will come to the same conclusion as you, especially given the direction Thailand is heading. Not worth it. Only reason left to stay here is the country's location, it's easy to explore other SEA countries from here.
Yes I agree with you, I fill sorry for all the backpackers who now can't go over land and get 30 days on arrival, I did that when I was a lot younger and returned to Thailand about 4 times on one trip, what a nightmare they must be having