Non Imm Extension of Stay Under Consideration

My Non-Im Extension of Stay (based on marriage) always expires on Nov 25th and every year, the immigration office writes into my passport - after having submitted all the documents, photos etc: ...must contact office again in person on Dec 25th, REGARDLESS whether I apply 30days before the expiry (eg. 26.10.) OR 23.11.

In 2014, it was not a problem as I stayed for X-Mas in Thailand.

In 2013, they called me by middle of December that I can come over to get my new extension so I could fly out for X-Mas

For this year, knowing that I want to fly out for X-Max by 20.12., I applied by November 4th already, thinking the earlier I apply, the earlier I can get my extension. When I mentioned to the immigration officer, I will not be there on 25.12., he mentioned, I must be here and should postpone my trip otherwise my Non - Imm becomes invalid and I need to go abroad to apply for a new one. According to him, this year, the queue is very long, I cannot expect to get the extension before the 25.12.

Yes, sure, postponing X-Mas...I was so angry telling him that in order to make sure that I can get the extension earlier than the 25th, I already came beginning of Nov and for sure, I will not miss X-Mas in my home country only to wait for my extension of stay approval to arrive! I have better things to do in my life than planing my life around the goodwill of immigration officers...

Being angry, I forgot to ask -and that's what I like to do here instead but will also ask him before leaving for my trip:

- Isn't it possible to contact in person the immigration office after I am back (January 3rd) instead of Dec 25th -since the queue is so long, it would give them extra time to review my case- ? In the meantime, they could extend from Dec 25th to January 3rd and I will apply for a single re-entry permit (that's what immigration does anyway in case I have to leave Thailand after my extension expires -Nov 25- and come back before I need to contact immigration in person for my renewal of extension of stay on Dec 25th)?

- What's the point of applying early for the extension, if they always write anyway 1 month after the expiry of extension of stay (=25.Nov) to come back (=25.Dec)? Does it mean, the immigration office will follow up another case earlier than mine, if extension of stay of that case is e.g. 15. Nov and that case was submitted on 14. Nov? Probabaly they would write come back date Dec 15th in the passport?!?

- How would the expiry of the Non -Imm affect the work permit?

Any suggestions, what I could do -in case they do not have my extension before I fly out?

If not, then I will fly in on a tourist "visa" and will fly to a neigbhbouring country to apply for a new Non Imm even though it's a waste of time and money...

I can only recommend anybody, NOT to have an extension of stay date in November / December in case you are planing from time to time spending X-Mas abroad. Saves you a lot of trouble...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers

Fraserman

Just apply for a 60 day extension and get a single entry reentry permit. Do the 12 month when you get back.

No use trying to figure out why they do things, only drive yourself crazy as there is little logic involved.

Remember to take your wife - no financial proof etc.

PS - just re-read your post, perhaps you have already put the application in. Do this next time facepalm.gif

Edited by ParadiseLost

Thanks Paradise Lost & Evilbaz for your quick response!

Regarding the 60 days extension, do I really NOT need to bring any documents / really no proof of finances etc.? Under which circumstances can they refuse to give me those 60 days extension? What is the fee for it?

When do I need to do it latest? Before the present extension of stay expires (25.11.) or is it enough to wait first whether I get the 1 year extension and do the 60 days extension only 2-3 days before my departure in case they do not have any result yet on my 1 year extension?

Can I still do the 60 days extension, even though I applied already for the 1 year extension of stay OR do I need to withdraw the applicatio for the 1 year extension first?

When I am back, can I apply for the 12months extension of stay in Thailand or do I need to fly abroad first to get a new Non-Im? In other words, is my Non-Im still valid after the 60 days extension to apply afterwards for my 12months extension?

Surely, I will bring my wife...

Cheers

Fraserman

Edited by Fraserman

It is to late to apply for the 60 day extension since you have already applied for the one year extension.

Apparently the office you apply at starts the 30 day under consideration period at the end of your current extension. Applying early does not help in that case.

All you can do now is hope that the approval is done before your planned trip.

• Like 1

It is to late to apply for the 60 day extension since you have already applied for the one year extension.

Apparently the office you apply at starts the 30 day under consideration period at the end of your current extension. Applying early does not help in that case.

All you can do now is hope that the approval is done before your planned trip.

I can confirm Samui is doing this as well. I applied mid September and only got my one year entry on the 5th November, 1 month after the expiry date.

Thanks Paradise Lost & Evilbaz for your quick response!

Regarding the 60 days extension, do I really NOT need to bring any documents / really no proof of finances etc.? Under which circumstances can they refuse to give me those 60 days extension? What is the fee for it?

When do I need to do it latest? Before the present extension of stay expires (25.11.) or is it enough to wait first whether I get the 1 year extension and do the 60 days extension only 2-3 days before my departure in case they do not have any result yet on my 1 year extension?

Can I still do the 60 days extension, even though I applied already for the 1 year extension of stay OR do I need to withdraw the applicatio for the 1 year extension first?

When I am back, can I apply for the 12months extension of stay in Thailand or do I need to fly abroad first to get a new Non-Im? In other words, is my Non-Im still valid after the 60 days extension to apply afterwards for my 12months extension?

Surely, I will bring my wife...

Cheers

Fraserman

Although you won't be doing this now, for future reference the sixty day extension is available only once for each entry, for those married to Thai nationals. The cost is 1,900 baht and your wife must accompany you. You need to show proof of marriage and blue book.

When the 60 day extension expires you can apply for a further 1 year extension, or leave. If you leave the country at any point you will need a re-entry permit, or else you are forced to start a new extension cycle (meaning witnesses etc. and at some point you could lose being 'grandfathered' to old rules).

Ok, understand. In case I don't get my extension before I travel abroad, what would be the most convenient procedure for me? Entering on January 3rd by the 30days tourist visits allowance and fly abroad by End of January to apply for a new non o im?

I would do it in Singapore to combine it to visit friends. Would 2 working days be enough? Do they have any specific requirements in SIN? Does my wife needs to come as well?

Would it affect the work permit?

Depends where you live. In Bangkok you can even convert your entry from a 30 day stamp to a 90 day non-o (when extending 1 year) but I am not sure about other offices. Can't see why not...

I have no experience in Sg but they sound pretty full of themselves by many reports. If your wife is with you it can ease the process but it is not a requirement.

First thing I would try is to ask immigration for new report back date a few weeks forward, and a reentry permit tied to this new date. Tell them you want to get the permission to stay stamp when you return, see what they say. The answer is most likely no but it shows you need this and maybe they will offer some better solution - I am sure they do have a way to speed up the process, but you may have to oil the wheels, depending where you apply...

Good luck

Difficult eh.

Don't think you mentioned which Imm Office but most likely it's out of their hands as your extension will be processed by Chaeng Wattana. Could your wife revisit the office without you with some freebie gifts for the officers and explain your plight and find out the chance of receiving your extension before 20.12. Failing that, its call the Imm Off just before you leave to see if success, and if not its start the whole process again on your return. Good luck...do let us know how this pans out.

My personal gripe is they give you a date to return for the extension, they expect you to return that exact date, but if for personal reasons you can't make it that date, your screwed for that extension.