how long after dengue you are infective

h90

I recently finished dengue fever....still some itching, but today I could already manage to go 20 km with the bicycle (road racing bike and I went slow so it needs very little power) so I am good. But I worry a mosquito bites me and than bites my wife.

She is sure she won't get it, as her body is strong and not weakened from exercise like mine blink.png

How long till a mosqutio can bite me and afterwards her without effect. I guess my body killed everything already, but who knows....

The good news is that the first time one gets dengue, it ain't so bad, sometimes little more than a mild flu,

The bad news is that the second time is deadly serious, and more often than not lays one up in hospital.

mild flu cheesy.gif

between 39 and 40 degree fever for 10 days.

headache like it explodes ache of about everything else. By no means that is mild. Unless the first time was so mild that I didn't recognize it and this was already the second.

The good news is that the first time one gets dengue, it ain't so bad, sometimes little more than a mild flu,

The bad news is that the second time is deadly serious, and more often than not lays one up in hospital.

Actually there is a wide spectrum of severity and the first time can be quite bad. I was in hospital for 2 weeks the first time I had it. Second and third times, by contrast, I barely needed to stay home.

I took this from the wiki site "A female mosquito that takes a blood meal from a person infected with dengue fever, during the initial 2–10 day febrile period, becomes itself infected with the virus in the cells lining its gut.[24] About 8–10 days later, the virus spreads to other tissues including the mosquito's salivary glands and is subsequently released into its saliva. The virus seems to have no detrimental effect on the mosquito, which remains infected for life.["

So I take this to mean you are no longer infective. However if you were also bitten during the initial phase, then that mosquito could pass it on to your wife. Get a can of bug spray maybe and fumigate bathroom and bedroom. After squirting leave house for a few hours.

Actually there is a wide spectrum of severity and the first time can be quite bad. I was in hospital for 2 weeks the first time I had it. Second and third times, by contrast, I barely needed to stay home.

seems the virus don't always follow the guide-book.

Second and third..... blink.png .... you a though one......

Why do you need a thread for this question? You'll get all kinds of valid and invalid answers.

There is this site called google.com where you can find real expert FACTS about your question!

Google is the last place to seek valid information about health care unless you are one who can rapidly identify FACT from FICTION whilst, at the same time, discarding all the "Quack" cures that are offered on the internet.

Why do you need a thread for this question? You'll get all kinds of valid and invalid answers.

There is this site called google.com where you can find real expert FACTS about your question!

Google is the last place to seek valid information about health care unless you are one who can rapidly identify FACT from FICTION whilst, at the same time, discarding all the "Quack" cures that are offered on the internet.

jup...go with a blood test into google and you'll find out that you die tomorrow if you aren't dead already. While here I find very valid informations....Sheryl and many others give valid informations and on controverse informations there is a discussion that gives you an overview.

Great forum, good information and Superwoman Sheryl!

There are 5 known different strains of Dengue and just because you caught one strain it does not immunise you from the others - equally Dengue stays in your body and can reoccur from time to time.

My Thai wife went down with it ( her fault as she insisted on staying out at dusk when the mozzies were out and biting mad - I took the kids indoor and we stayed there.She was laid out for over a week with it and still suffers from time to time with it Re-occurring

The real problem is that the mozzie that carries dengue is active during the day so mozzie prevention is key

1) Mozzie nets on all doors and windows

2) Mozzie plugs in all rooms

3) air con on full before going to bed ( that always gets them )

4) avoid known mozzie areas

5) stay indoors when and after it is raining - that's when they are in full cry

6) they hate lemon or lime so use this as a cheap way of keeping them at bay

Last but not least check it out for yourself - you have search engines and the world awaits you

post-129337-0-25654900-1446986599_thumb.

Correct re number of strains and day time biting but it does not "stay in the body" or recur. You can get newly infected with a different strain, but the infection you had cannot recur.

If your wife has recurrent fever with chills, it is something other than dengue.

That is fase information. As there are several different type of dengue strains one must always take precation as it could be DHF, and that string could be lethal also if one is infected for the first time.

Having high fever without soure throuth or rinning nose is a sign that one could be infected with dengue and if the high fever lasts for two days one should immediately seek hospital care. If it is DHF the situation gets critical already after three days.

Edited by stgrhe

Very true ! And it is the unpredictable factor that makes for confusing answers. If you have recovered from an infection of dengue ( which can vary from weeks to months) which can indeed be mild to severe then you offer low risk a latent infector via a mosquito bite to others. The virus in the mosquito also needs time to become latent.The chances of your wife being infected are as much possible via a passing stranger as yourself. In cases of re -infection it is the possibility of developing heamorragic fever that is more serious. But strangely that is more likely in re-infection infection of children or teenagers!

Your best action is to reduce the chances of you or your wife being infected by a mosquito . While it may be true Thai people do have greater resistance or reactivity to many infections that drop the average farang in their tracks.. Murphy"s Law can prevail.

There are at least 5 variants of dengue virus. I have been infected by 2 of. In my case both were relatively mild but the second left me with night sweats for 3 months.

Correct re number of strains and day time biting but it does not "stay in the body" or recur. You can get newly infected with a different strain, but the infection you had cannot recur.

If your wife has recurrent fever with chills, it is something other than dengue.

Sorry, but I'm confused now. In the first post, did you have a different strain of dengue the second and third time, or a new infection of the same strain of dengue?

Sorry, but I'm confused now. In the first post, did you have a different strain of dengue the second and third time, or a new infection of the same strain of dengue?

There are 5 distinct, but closely related, serotypes (strains) of the virus that cause dengue (DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3 , DEN-4 and Den-5).

Recovery from infection by one provides lifelong immunity against that particular serotype.

Edited by oncearugge

mild flu cheesy.gif

headache like it explodes ache of about everything else. By no means that is mild. Unless the first time was so mild that I didn't recognize it and this was already the second.

I agree, I have had it once and once was quite enough! I am tough and can take pain but this virus £&@?ed me up 6-0 6-0 6-0. In fact, if a doctor had told me you will feel that way until you die I would have dispatched myself immediately! I have known a few other people who have contracted Dengue and the strength of the symptoms varied widely from uncomfortable to extreme as in my case and my neighbour who contracted it exactly the same time as I did. I have a theory that the symptoms differ in strength dependant on which of the four different strains you contract. I certainly hope I never ever get a 2nd dose of the other stains of this very nasty disease. Edited by Dukeleto

DHF requires immediate hospitalization, yes. But with "simple" dengue it is often possible to be managed as an outpatient, provided the patient is able to stay adequately hydrated.

Do you have some list of early signs of DHF? That might be helpful in the future......

mild flu cheesy.gif

I agree, I have had it once and once was quite enough! I am tough and can take pain but this virus £&@?ed me up 6-0 6-0 6-0. In fact, if a doctor had told me you will feel that way until you die I would have dispatched myself immediately! I have known a few other people who have contracted Dengue and the strength of the symptoms varied widely from uncomfortable to extreme as in my case and my neighbour who contracted it exactly the same time as I did. I have a theory that the symptoms differ in strength dependant on which of the four different strains you contract. I certainly hope I never ever get a 2nd dose of the other stains of this very nasty disease.

jup 40 degree fever, extreme pain, no sleep, hearing the heart beat in the head.......But paracetamol helped wonder....just I didn't want to overuse them. I read from a Thai hospital who gave one every 3 hours.

I took one per day or less....

There are 5 distinct, but closely related, serotypes (strains) of the virus that cause dengue (DEN-1, DEN-2, DEN-3 , DEN-4 and Den-5).

Recovery from infection by one provides lifelong immunity against that particular serotype.

Thanks. That's what I vaguely recalled reading before, but for some reason Sheryl's posts made me want to clarify.

It is not about myself get infected again. It is about I infect my wife accidentially

Your wife is at risk but no more than anyone else. The mosquito that carries the dengue virus is a different variety than normal mosquitoes, a bit smaller and a lot more intelligent. They have a preference for built up areas and human blood.

The virus can be passed on to the eggs which can even survive the dry season,a large percentage of those mosquitoes are born with the virus. The chances of you being bitten by a mosquito of the dengue variety that does not already have the virus is very slim.

One positive is that like myself you now have lifetime immunity to the strain you contracted but I have never been able to find out which strain it was, or which strains are prevalent in Thailand and which areas. I got it from a bite in a hotel in Pattaya.

Recognize the mosquito. The mosquitoes that carry dengue fever have unique markings.

• The Aedes aegypti mosquito is small and dark, and has white bands on its legs. It also has a silvery to white pattern on the body that resembles the shape of a musical instrument called a lyre.
Edited by sandyf

It is not about myself get infected again. It is about I infect my wife accidentially

Your wife is at risk but no more than anyone else. The mosquito that carries the dengue virus is a different variety than normal mosquitoes, a bit smaller and a lot more intelligent. They have a preference for built up areas and human blood.

The virus can be passed on to the eggs which can even survive the dry season,a large percentage of those mosquitoes are born with the virus. The chances of you being bitten by a mosquito of the dengue variety that does not already have the virus is very slim.

One positive is that like myself you now have lifetime immunity to the strain you contracted but I have never been able to find out which strain it was, or which strains are prevalent in Thailand and which areas. I got it from a bite in a hotel in Pattaya.

WOW!

"Intelligent" mosquitoes ! cheesy.gif

That is news !

Dengue in fact is carried by the ‎Aedes aegypti mosquito which has,as yet, not been proven to be "intelligent"........................

...One positive is that like myself you now have lifetime immunity to the strain you contracted but I have never been able to find out which strain it was, or which strains are prevalent in Thailand and which areas. I got it from a bite in a hotel in Pattaya.

All strains are present here. And all parts of the country.

...One positive is that like myself you now have lifetime immunity to the strain you contracted but I have never been able to find out which strain it was, or which strains are prevalent in Thailand and which areas. I got it from a bite in a hotel in Pattaya.

Any facts or figures on that. I am only interested in the number of cases of each strain that have been reported in Chonburi.

WOW!

"Intelligent" mosquitoes ! cheesy.gif

That is news !

Dengue in fact is carried by the ‎Aedes aegypti mosquito which has,as yet, not been proven to be "intelligent"........................

You should read some of the reports from the Australian research. They are currently doing field trials to try and breed out the disease.

Any facts or figures on that. I am only interested in the number of cases of each strain that have been reported in Chonburi.

Not all diagnosed/treated cases of Dengue are serotyped so your question cannot be answered.