Multiple-entry non-B visa "re-entry permit" confusion

Hello, I was issued a non-immigrant B multiple-entry visa in 2012 in Malaysia, which has been renewed successfully every year in Thailand, including this last October. I'm about to travel back to my home country New Zealand and a friend said I'll still need to apply for a "re-entry permit" to come back, or Immigration will downgrade me to a tourist visa at Suvarnabhumi. I don't really understand this: if the original visa applied for was multiple-entry, which was granted, and this same multiple-entry visa was renewed every year, with no change of category or entry requirements, why do I still need to "apply" for permission to re-enter whenever I leave Thailand? Can I do apply for this re-entry permit while in NZ? Or must I waste a whole day sitting around at Immigration Chaengwattana to apply, what exactly is required, and what is the fee?

I don't think you 'renewed' your B visa, but instead received a so called 'Extension of Stay' for reason of employment or another reason for which the original visa was granted. This extension of stay is not a visa and has nothing to do with the original B visa you once had.

You can purchase a re entry permit at your local immigration office or at a major international airport. Cost is 1000 Baht for a single.

Unless you have been going to an embassy or consulate to get a new multiple entry non-b visa every year you no longer have a valid one.

It seems you have applied for and obtained a one year extension of stay at an immigration office. To keep it valid you need a re-entry permit if you want to travel.

I assume you no longer have a non 'B' visa and instead have annual extensions of stay based on having a work permit.

• Each October you apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on working. If that is the case then you have permission to stay until Oct 2016 and if you leave that permission is lost unless you have a re-entry permit.
  • You can get one from an immigration office or at the airport or 1,000 baht.
  • When you return from your trip the IO will use the re-entry permit and stamp you in until Oct 2016.

I assume you no longer have a non 'B' visa and instead have annual extensions of stay based on having a work permit.

• Each October you apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on working. If that is the case then you have permission to stay until Oct 2016 and if you leave that permission is lost unless you have a re-entry permit.
  • You can get one from an immigration office or at the airport or 1,000 baht.
  • When you return from your trip the IO will use the re-entry permit and stamp you in until Oct 2016.

Thanks everyone. I had made a simple assumption that could've been disastrous. So I can just obtain the re-entry permit at Don Muang Airport before my 8:35am flight to Australia via Kuala Lumpur? I assume I will need to bring a passport photo for the form.