ATMs now 200b for Drawing Cash from UK or US Banks?

I don't believe it!

I went to two different bank ATMs today to take out 10,000b from my "home" bank.

Both asked a "fee" of 200b.

Sorry if somebody else has posted this, but I am in neuroleptic shock! The fee has been 180b for a while, after being "free" or 150b before.

Bearing in mind that the "home" bank wants 2 fees as well, this is ludicrous. another nail........

Eddy

Couldn't find anything on Bangkok Bank but did on Kasikorn, see below. Which bank did you use?

From Nov 6, 2015 - The service charge on cash withdrawal of all international or foreign credit cards via KBank's ATM machines will be charged at 200 Baht per transaction for VISA card and MasterCard, 50 Baht per transaction for China UnionPay (CUP) card and 20 Baht per transaction for all electronic cards issued by card issuer company in Thailand (Non Bank).

Not that surprising since ATM fees in the US have been going up since the beginning of October

see this:

http://www.ibtimes.com/average-atm-fees-soar-more-450-most-expensive-fees-found-new-york-atlanta-milwaukee-2126208

Now averaging about $4.50 per transaction in the US. Using Bangkok Banks currency calculator the 200 THB fee equates to $5.59 at today's BB exchange rate

Here is a list of US checking accounts that reimburse foreign fees:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/the-top-11-checking-accounts-for-avoiding-foreign-atm-fees/

Couldn't find anything on Bangkok Bank but did on Kasikorn, see below. Which bank did you use?

From Nov 6, 2015 - The service charge on cash withdrawal of all international or foreign credit cards via KBank's ATM machines will be charged at 200 Baht per transaction for VISA card and MasterCard, 50 Baht per transaction for China UnionPay (CUP) card and 20 Baht per transaction for all electronic cards issued by card issuer company in Thailand (Non Bank).

Just for completeness: of course this is not restricted to UK or US banks and not even related to the foreign banks (as the title might imply).

Its simply a decision of this honorable Thai Bankers association.

Is there some way to send a complaint to the govt, ncpo, etc about this? It's just so arbitrary how they can raise fees like this.

These organizations getting involved for the interests of foreigners against "the money" (which always has the real power)?

Keep on dreaming.

Edited by KhunBENQ

free money for the banks......almost $6 USD plus what your home bank charges......

i can hear the backpackers crying now...

this is why i carry $9000 USD and tons of diamonds.......only been robbed once, but he wanted my gf....

win win

As long as Bangkok Bank is willing to do my over-the-counter Visa Debit withdrawals, I'm good. If they ever point me outside to the ATM, which would take 3 pulls/month, I would switch to ACH Transfers. Chuck Schwab is pretty good natured on the ATM fee reimbursement but $15-18/month might test that theory.