Marriage Ext Visa, no wife, need to move

Hi people.

I have a marriage extension visa, the wife is gone, and I want to move to a new residence. Question: Will the immigration police come to my new place, instantly nullify my visa and move to deport me? Or will I get to stay until renewal date and deal with it then?

Thanks a bunch.

Boone

Hmm Confused a bit i have 8 year a Thaiwife she leave me until i build a house in North. Near 1 year she let me stay there like a Second hand thing. Now i wanna divorce, ask @Phuket Immigration about my 1 year Visa. They said ... U can use until valid coz i pay. Now i read a lot from other People in here, and dont know what i should to do. The law change every time to new Rules ?

Thanks for the help. ;-)

Hmm Confused a bit i have 8 year a Thaiwife she leave me until i build a house in North. Near 1 year she let me stay there like a Second hand thing. Now i wanna divorce, ask @Phuket Immigration about my 1 year Visa. They said ... U can use until valid coz i pay. Now i read a lot from other People in here, and dont know what i should to do. The law change every time to new Rules ?

Thanks for the help. ;-)

If you have a visa issued by an embassy or consulate it does not end when you get divorced.

If on an extension of stay based upon marriage you got at immigration the reason for it goes away as soon as you get divorced. But nobody but yourself would notify immigration. I am certain that many people have stayed until there extension ended but if you wanted to change the reason for you extension you would have to cancel it.

• Like 2

When my wife left I told immigration ,they said i not devorced not problem ,5 months later I got new extension based on Thai child ,but each office reads the rules their own way ,maybe your wife comes back when she can't find someone better ,if you give here back ,people can still be married even if they are in different houses ,maybe wife go work somewhere

A wife not being home doesn't make much difference if you are not divorced. She could be visiting her sick mother.

Were you might run into a snag is if you move you are supposed to let them know your new address within 24 hours (I think). With your wife not being their this may raise a few eyebrows. I suggest you get your wife to come along until you move, or refuse to move until she agrees. After that you can do your 90 day reporting online.

• Like 1

This is a concern for many guys here, the immigration law states you must prove your relationship is real and that you cohabit in the same house, practically in the same bed to qualify for the extension.

I agree using the current extension until it runs out sounds ok but if you are caught the charge may be overstay. Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to advising immigration of anything.

I feel for you and dread the same happening to me (so never committed to Thailand 100% because of this) - very happily married ten years now.

You know what they say, the first ten are the worst. tongue.png

• Like 2

This is a concern for many guys here, the immigration law states you must prove your relationship is real and that you cohabit in the same house, practically in the same bed to qualify for the extension.

I agree using the current extension until it runs out sounds ok but if you are caught the charge may be overstay. Damned if you do, damned if you don't when it comes to advising immigration of anything.

I feel for you and dread the same happening to me (so never committed to Thailand 100% because of this) - very happily married ten years now.

You know what they say, the first ten are the worst. tongue.png

The Police Orders state: In the case of spouse the relationship must be de jure and de facto, which basically means legally married under the law.

There is nothing to say you have to cohabit in the same house or sleep together.

So until divorced, an extension is still valid.

On the day of divorce your extension ceasing to exist. Immigration will only give you a 7 day extension to sort out your options.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. ;-)

If you have a visa issued by an embassy or consulate it does not end when you get divorced.

If on an extension of stay based upon marriage you got at immigration the reason for it goes away as soon as you get divorced. But nobody but yourself would notify immigration. I am certain that many people have stayed until there extension ended but if you wanted to change the reason for you extension you would have to cancel it.

You are married until formal divorce. Up until that point your extension of stay based on marriage is valid.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reportedly 90 days report and visa extention r unrelated. But I don't know If 90 day is a substitute to something like notification of changing of the adress (don't really know if something like this exists, isn't it that only a landlord is responsible of a notification). If wify knows little about it or isn't spiteful just don't worry about it, u r not divorced anyway.

A wife not being home doesn't make much difference if you are not divorced. She could be visiting her sick mother.

Were you might run into a snag is if you move you are supposed to let them know your new address within 24 hours (I think). With your wife not being their this may raise a few eyebrows. I suggest you get your wife to come along until you move, or refuse to move until she agrees. After that you can do your 90 day reporting online.

Sometimes, and only in some offices.

At my last 90 day I told them that I would be moving to a new house in a month and asked what forms I needed to file and when.

Their response:

" Don't worry about it, just tell us your new address when you file for your extention next year."

Mai Pen Rai?

I would use my extension until it expires. Why would you tell them you are divorced or widowed as some people advise? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I would also move to my new residence and let the owner deals with immigration as he is supposed to declare his foreign tenants.

I would use my extension until it expires. Why would you tell them you are divorced or widowed as some people advise? Makes no sense whatsoever.

I would also move to my new residence and let the owner deals with immigration as he is supposed to declare his foreign tenants.

Only when divorced does the extension end. Not canceling the extension could result in paying an overstay fine form the date the divorce was done.

If your spouse was to die the extension will remain valid until it expires.