Phuket Opinion: Killing the drink-driving curse

rooster59

Phuket Opinion: Killing the drink-driving curse

1446800746_1-org.jpg

A motorist takes an alcohol breath test as part of the ramped up anti-drink-driving campaign. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: As each day in Thailand passes, another spell of fatal traffic accidents takes place. If Thailand’s roads didn’t already have a notoriously bad reputation, there’s no doubt that the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) recent survey highlighting that the Kingdom has the second-highest road-fatality rate in the world certainly confirms this.

In its 2015 Global Status Report on Road Safety, the UN health agency reported 14,059 people were killed on Thai roads and highways in 2012, translating to a road-death rate of 36.2 people per 100,000.

Worse, a leading figure at the Phuket office of the Road Safety Network revealed in late August that Phuket was officially the worst province in the country for deaths and injuries resulting from road accidents.

Alcohol is a key factor in road fatalities in Thailand, and WHO reported that drink driving was to blame for around 26 per cent of road deaths in Thailand.

In response, the chief of Phuket Police on Monday (Nov 2) warned all motorists that drink-driving laws will finally be more strictly enforced (see story here). Police will now stop any driver seen driving erratically and ask them to take a breathalyser test.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-killing-the-drink-driving-curse-54856.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-08

>>Police will now stop any driver seen driving erratically and ask them to take a breathalyser test.

I seriously doubt they have the manpower to pull over 95% of drivers, not to mention police don't ever pull anyone over, they just place some orange cones and stop ( or wave through) everyone.

I thought around 25% was the figure for drink driving being a contributing factor in car crashes in a lot of countries. Perhaps drink driving isn't such the big thing a lot of people make it out to be in Thailand - obviously it's not a good thing of course, but blaming dui and not focusing on the other 75% might not be the best strategy.

I was in Estonia not long ago. You don't dare drive after drinking. It's a huge deal and checkpoints, professionally run, are everywhere. Even in the morning!

I got pulled over at 10am. Thailand needs to up it's game big time.

The police get a lot of people over the limit in the early morning.

If you booze yourself up till, say, two in the morning chances are you will be way over at 10.00.

I was in Estonia not long ago. You don't dare drive after drinking. It's a huge deal and checkpoints, professionally run, are everywhere. Even in the morning!

I got pulled over at 10am. Thailand needs to up it's game big time.

The police get a lot of people over the limit in the early morning.

If you booze yourself up till, say, two in the morning chances are you will be way over at 10.00.

On my first trip to Phuket many years ago, I met a former bar owner who was hit by a truck running a red light. He was on a scooter and ended up in the hospital off and on for years. Ruined his life. It was like 8 or 9 in the morning. Never really thought about it, but you are right!

>>Police will now stop any driver seen driving erratically and ask them to take a breathalyser test.

I seriously doubt they have the manpower to pull over 95% of drivers, not to mention police don't ever pull anyone over, they just place some orange cones and stop ( or wave through) everyone.

I agree they wouldn't have the manpower, but I disagree with your figure of 95%. 100% of Thai drivers drive eratically, even when they are sober. Just more hot air from the cops, nothing much will change as usual.

They should improve public transport, especially on the islands

When it's cheaper to hire a scooter for 24hrs than a tuk tuk for 200 metres, people will drink and ride

If the penalty for driving / riding under the influence is less than the cost of a tuk-tuk out, and home, then people will still drink and drive / ride.

If the penalty is increased, and possibly includes gaol time, and this crackdown is "real" - this could very well effect the tourism industry on Phuket.

The police themselves are some of the biggest offenders.wink.png

Drink driving is part and parcel of life in Thailand, deeply engrained in the culture. Thais would not stand for any curbing of their freedom to drink and drive.

The article is drivel. wai2.gif

They're happy to intentionally run you down when they're not drunk, let alone when they are drunk.

Some Somchai nearly ran straight through me at a zebra crossing yesterday on my way to the supermarket (I know they don't usually stop). He could clearly see me in front of him, aiming straight at me until I literally sprinted out of the way. Did not even let off the gas, forget breaking.

He obviously knew that he shouldn't have done it. As he entered the same supermarket car park, could see me eyeing him so he immediately drove a lap and exited immediately to avoid any confrontation.