Major corruption cases can't be rushed, Paiboon concedes

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Major corruption cases can't be rushed, Paiboon concedes

The Nation

30272550-01_big.jpg
Paiboon

BANGKOK: -- Justice Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya, chairman of the National Anti-Corruption Centre, talks to Now's 26th Hour about the anti-graft mission.

HOW SUCCESSFUL HAS THE ANTI-CORRUPTION MISSION BEEN OVER THE PAST YEAR?

The public feels better at least, according to poll results [and there is] an acceptance from the private sector and other sectors that work with us. They view that this government's anti-graft [crusade] as different from others.

PEOPLE IN GENERAL FEEL THE ANTI-GRAFT MISSION MUST EXPOSE BIG CORRUPTION SCANDALS AND REVEAL THE FIGURES INVOLVED AND THE CULPRITS GET PUNISHED?

That is what I think and feel uneasy [about]. Why corruption in large projects has yet to be revealed and completed. Some are being investigated by the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the Office of the Auditor General, the Attorney General and the courts - that we have to respect. You cannot rush work in the investigative and inquisitorial systems.

YOU CANNOT RESORT TO SPECIAL POWERS TO RUSH THESE CASES?

We do not want to and we have informed the PM so, even though we want to do that in some cases. During the time of the Assets Examination Committee [set up by the previous junta], special power was used … but the corruption investigation was deemed a political harassment.

We want to resort to normal justice procedures as much as possible to deal with corruption cases. For instance, corruption in the rice issue. We did not use any special law but we are still being accused [of doing so]. If we use special power, there will certainly be problems.

PM PRAYUT WANTS YOU TO SPEED UP THE ANTI-GRAFT WORK?

Correct. He points out every issue and tells me so at every Cabinet meeting. I have told him names of various projects and which agency is checking which project. I told the Cabinet not to rush because we have learnt the lesson from 2006-2007 that we do not want to repeat.

I have told independent agencies that are related to justice procedures that they must clarify the issues with the public, otherwise the government will be solely blamed.

These cases do not progress as fast as you want them to. It has been more than a year. I will expedite the process so some cases are completed in the time of our democracy road map.

Once I almost complete my term, I will explain to the people about each case and how long each state agency took to look into them. These tasks will be handed over to the new government.

WHAT ARE LARGE PROJECTS THAT YOU ARE SPEEDING UP THE COMPLETION OF THE CASES?

They are large projects that involve national interests and links to senior government officials, former politicians. These cases are said to have solid evidence. We asked when they are going to be completed and they said there are lots of details that need to be cross-checked. We asked 'Could you break them into smaller cases?' We have a mindset that the work should be done fast but we must respect the justice procedures.

CRITICS SAY YOU FOCUS ONLY ON BUREAUCRATS AND POLITICIANS AND NOT MILITARY MEN?

Every state agency can report to me directly. No way will I hide any issues. For instance, people petitioned about corruption in the procurement of the bomb detection device GT 200. We are checking the allegation.

DO YOU SPECIFICALLY LOOK INTO CORRUPTION IN THE MILITARY?

Every project must be accountable. I will not interfere with agencies that check corruption. I just told them to make a forthright check. But at one point, I can demand an explanation to clear any public doubt.

WHEN YOUR TERM IS ALMOST OVER, YOU WILL MAKE A LIST OF ALL CASES?

Yes, I must. I will not say which big cases must be completed before I step down because the matter rests with independent agencies, not me. The state agency in charge of corruption is the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission but it has played a few roles.

The list of senior government officials [suspected of corrupt behaviour] is with the NACC. We have issued additional order No. 69/57 that gives power to the PACC to investigate ministry permanent secretaries.

We are drafting a bill for the PACC but it hit a snag, as Parliament worries it may adversely affect the NACC. That's why I cannot say which case will be completed - because I cannot rush public prosecutors, courts or the NACC.

HOW WILL CORRUPTION OFFENDERS BE PUNISHED IF THERE IS SOLID EVIDENCE AGAINST THEM?

The punishment is completed through the justice procedure by confiscating or seizing assets.

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT PUBLIC INTEREST AND THE PERCEPTION ON CORRUPTION?

The National Council for Peace and Order wants to instil the young generation with anti-graft [fervour] but this is a long-term solution. To influence people nowadays, we need to exercise power and strictly enforce laws and take legal action so they [offenders] fear the arm of law.

No country can completely solve corruption problems. It is like the drug problem that must be curbed so it does not pose a long-term threat to the country.

In Singapore, there is 10 per cent corruption, which is not an obstacle to the country's development. Our mission is we must achieve this figure.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Major-corruption-cases-cant-be-rushed-Paiboon-conc-30272550.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-09

Of course it takes time to examine and I don't mean the evidence.

The suspect has to be considered, who is he and how well connected, where's he going in future status, how much damage can he and connections do to those investigating and so on ?

Forget a sufficiency of evidence, that's a minor consideration.

Blah blah blah Why interview these people? Everyone knows the answers to the questions already.

I love the part about the GT 200's. Their looking into allegations. How long has this been going on?

Not sure how long it's been going on over here but in the UK the guy responsible for selling these items to Thailand was convicted of fraud and sentenced back in July 2013

"The punishment is completed through the justice procedure by confiscating or seizing assets."

Right ... so they just have to give back what they stole ?.

A few long term prison sentences which do not involve LM would be a start. I do believe Prayuth is serious about tackling corruption, but nobody else is.

Once he is out of the picture, it will all go back exactly as it was.

I wonder if he will stand for PM in a proper election when the time comes. God help Thailand if it gets another bubble-head proxy who does precisely nothing.

If all the corruption cases were fast tracked, 99% of Thai business owners, police, local authority heads and politicians would be in jail by the middle of next year and that`s only the top end of the scale.

If they tried to fast track them all, there would probably be no police or judges to do the fast tracking!.

"Major corruption cases can't be rushed, Paiboon concedes"

Or in other words: "Dear fellow corrupties, we give you time to hide all the evidence and rug things under your carpets....."

Kind of reminds me of a bar I used to drink in back in my younger days. At a certain time they would yell "Last Call" For all you corruptees shaking in your boots this is it before the hammer drops. If your dumb enough to hang around well pay the piper. Only minions and lower level network people will be left behind to face the music. The power people will flee and live to corrupt yet another day in the future. An endless chain.

Edited by elgordo38

Blah blah blah Why interview these people? Everyone knows the answers to the questions already.

I love the part about the GT 200's. Their looking into allegations. How long has this been going on?

And they'll be still looking into allegations long after we're all gone,

After all Thailand is the only country, where apparently, they work! whistling.gif

If all the corruption cases were fast tracked, 99% of Thai business owners, police, local authority heads and politicians would be in jail by the middle of next year and that`s only the top end of the scale.

Nice one clap2.gif

But also they cannot fast-track them for another reason: they must check and re-check that the target has absolutely nothing against them or their allies...

Would not want the crap to fly back at them...

I presume most have some sort of "black files" on many others just to back themselves up in case of hit-the-fan.gif...