Do we need sleep?

simon43

I mean actual, deep, snoring sleep.

I rarely sleep at night, and I actually do not want to sleep. My 24/7 guesthouse business means that I typically have to get up 3 or 4 times during the night to greet guests. So over the past 10 years or so, I have gotten well-used to this lifestyle.

I go to bed early, around 9pm and arise around 5am. For the night hours, I doze, perhaps very lightly asleep, because I am fully-awake at the sound of a taxi outside or a voice.

I enjoy dozing, because my brain remains very active, thinking about events, ideas, the future, the past etc.

I really love my bed! But I do not like sleeping.

How about you? And do humans really need to sleep?

The Buddha averaged 2 hours sleep per night.

Because of physical pain, I guess I average 4 hours of intermittent sleep per night.

I suggest that this 6-8 hour requirement per night is BS.

I think the usual buddhist monk sleeps more than 12 hours per day.....

Because of physical pain, I guess I average 4 hours of intermittent sleep per night.

I don't doubt that from what I see in LOS but he needs time for his smartphone.

I don't doubt that from what I see in LOS but he needs time for his smartphone.

video games, soccer beting, watching the "special" movies.....

One of our staff they sent to the wrong temple, where the monks insisted to do like monks should do.....this one month at the temple ended on the second daylaugh.png

To answer your question, yes human beings need sleep. If anyone goes without sleep for 48 or longer hours they will fall asleep involuntarily, but everyone is different, some can get by on 4 hours sleep a night, others need at least 8 hours.

Sleeping is a necessity , and I love sleeping. I don't have enough sleep , because I have so much to do , and the days are too short and months/years fly by so fast.

Watching a movie ( or an overnight bus ) ,while trying not to fall asleep , can get you to the edge of a (non sexual) orgasmic feeling.

Sleeping in my car for over 200 times in Thailand , while staying a bit alert , just like you at your guesthouse,

I can doze off and have the craziest , wildest and most intense dreams ( and nightmares).

Edited by BuaBS

When the do sleep tests one of the consistent findings is that people's ideas of how much time they are actually asleep can be way off, and in either direction.

Chances are the OP is getting more sleep than he realizes in that interval between 9 PM and 5 AM, getting up a few times not withstanding.

The amount iof sleep people require varies greatly but everyone does need sleep.

When the do sleep tests one of the consistent findings is that people's ideas of how much time they are actually asleep can be way off, and in either direction.

Chances are the OP is getting more sleep than he realizes in that interval between 9 PM and 5 AM, getting up a few times not withstanding.

The amount iof sleep people require varies greatly but everyone does need sleep.

Body can stay without sleep.....well obvious.

Brain...our brain is undersized for the tasks, so it needs time to process and long term save informations. There are animals which have oversized brains, they can process these tasks parallel to their daily activity and theoretically don't need sleep.

Humans beside the needs of the brain also need it psychological. It is a kind of reset button for us.

Its great, I dont have to put up with other people. (dreams aside, but many of them are goooooood)

Now if you want to know how much sleep is needed, just look to monkees.

Just found this: http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150415-apes-reveal-sleep-secrets

This later transition, to sleeping on the ground, and later in beds, could have given early humans a competitive advantage over other species, he says.
Edited by kaorop

Sleeping is a necessity , and I love sleeping. I don't have enough sleep , because I have so much to do , and the days are too short and months/years fly by so fast.

Watching a movie ( or an overnight bus ) ,while trying not to fall asleep , can get you to the edge of a (non sexual) orgasmic feeling.

Sleeping in my car for over 200 times in Thailand , while staying a bit alert , just like you at your guesthouse,

I can doze off and have the craziest , wildest and most intense dreams ( and nightmares).

There are a lot things between sleep and awake which we only use in emergency. Your body can be at a sleep stage while your mind is working. But your mind can sleep while your body is active. German soldiers reported that they were sleeping and dreaming while they were marching.

You can get in a trance when driving the car 10-20.....driving aggressive not fall asleep but don't recall anything from it. Most of the brain is shut down, just some areas work.

I had a bicycle training route, there is a street to the left I wanted to explore.....never did in about 50 times, as I was complete on automatic every time I passed the cross section.

So difficult topic and lot of ancient software in our brain which may activate for one but not for the other.