China-Thailand joint military exercise shows longtime U.S. ally Bangkok hedging its bets

webfact

I would say the general is playing a very dangerous game indeed. Playing with the enemy so to speak and then asking to be friends and get things such as the EU and UN on board and support what Thailand has and is doing, is risky. Don't think the US will let this go as I don't. the US influence the UN and EU and won't be happy that they are frolicking with the Chinese.

It took about six months for the US to destroy Russia's ecoomy. It could destroy the Thai economy in about six hours.

So the EU had nothing to do with it then, I thought China destroyed America's economy by buying their debit.

It's all just posturing. Our economies are tied together far to much. The corporations are not going to allow governments to play with our livelihoods over silly issues. Thailand would do better to stick with the US because the US is interested in their sovereignty. The same cannot be said about China.

Juanta has embraced china since taking power...5 visits to china only one to U.S.

they embracing china with rail and submarine , military deals. 150 yrs buttering thailand bread down the drain...china stab you in the back like do to viet nam..( two Faced )

Thailand isn't hedging its bets, the new regime is simply finding new bedmates that care less about human rights and democracy. Gotta be hard for the Americans to watch their puppet state long time ally not even pretend to be a democracy anymore

Dan you need to get out of the 1960's and start living in the modern world. And even back then it wasn't true. That's nothing more than Euro-antipodean populist twaddle that is sold to their lower less educated classes. biggrin.png

I would say the general is playing a very dangerous game indeed. Playing with the enemy so to speak and then asking to be friends and get things such as the EU and UN on board and support what Thailand has and is doing, is risky. Don't think the US will let this go as I don't. the US influence the UN and EU and won't be happy that they are frolicking with the Chinese.

It took about six months for the US to destroy Russia's ecoomy. It could destroy the Thai economy in about six hours.

And China could destroy the US economy in one hour. All they have to do is sell the USD$3.65 trillion they hold in $ foreign currency reserve to reduce the greenback to toilet paper status.

Actually China's foreign reserves of the EQUIVALENT of USD$3.65 trillion is a Forex Reserve - it is a combination of USD, yen, Euro and GBP with the majority of unds in USD.

In September 2015 China's foreign reserve lost USD$93.9 billion in value, "biggest-ever monthly drop in dollar terms and the largest in percentage terms since May 2012." As you might guess, the loss was due to deflation of the nonUSD currencies as the USD continues to be the most secure currency in the world. It has been the USD that is the strength of China's reserve.

So I doubt China will want to ever dump its USA dollars, ie., at a discount. It would only damage its own economy. But if it did such a sale, there will be plenty of other nations ready to buy.

So the EU had nothing to do with it then, I thought China destroyed America's economy by buying their debit.

The EU had nothing to do with crashing the price of oil, which was Russia's economic mainstay. The US and Saudis did that.

Whenever the topic of Thailand and its relations with America come up,

the term fair weather friend always comes into my head when I see some

of the things Thailand does..... :-) Thailand is ruled and owned by

the Chinese people that immigrated here, so may as well jump into bed

with the real China. A match made in heaven.

80% of the top Thai military officers are dark skinned Thais. and 80% of the big Thai businessmen are light skinned Thai Chinese.

Good for them. Like most nations today they know better then to implicitly trust the US Govt any longer. The US is now reckless, self-entitled, hegemonistic, and it can not cope with a multipolar world. The Thais are taking the prudent approach.

Good for them. Like most nations today they know better then to implicitly trust the US Govt any longer. The US is now reckless, self-entitled, hegemonistic, and it can not cope with a multipolar world. The Thais are taking the prudent approach.

China is desperate, and is waving cash around like its a bailout party. DOes anyone care to explain WHY china all of a sudden changed its stance on the one child policy? Maybe ... to ease a CIVIL WAR that was about to abrupt. If China is doing so well why does it have to manipulate the markets? THe stocks? Why is China selling off US debt then? hmmm? THe Air in china is toxic. THe land is poisoned from factories. THe aging billions have no workforce to replace it. ANd all factories are experiencing technician problems. SOmething about expanding too fast without educated engineers to repair the factory.

I dont see china as a solution. Its like finding out your new GF has 10 kids. THais will kiss whoevers butt is closest and biggest and can hold the most turds. THailand can be close to CHina and North Korea all it wants. I dont care. It wont effect my business. Cause i dont accept idiot clients.

And China could destroy the US economy in one hour. All they have to do is sell the USD$3.65 trillion they hold in $ foreign currency reserve to reduce the greenback to toilet paper status.

Actually China's foreign reserves of the EQUIVALENT of USD$3.65 trillion is a Forex Reserve - it is a combination of USD, yen, Euro and GBP with the majority of unds in USD.

In September 2015 China's foreign reserve lost USD$93.9 billion in value, "biggest-ever monthly drop in dollar terms and the largest in percentage terms since May 2012." As you might guess, the loss was due to deflation of the nonUSD currencies as the USD continues to be the most secure currency in the world. It has been the USD that is the strength of China's reserve.

So I doubt China will want to ever dump its USA dollars, ie., at a discount. It would only damage its own economy. But if it did such a sale, there will be plenty of other nations ready to buy.

CHina has already started selling US DEBT. its a tactic to devalue the dollar. but you know. this strategy didnt work for thaksin and his rice. And we all know that china loves to manulipate the markets and cheat the hell out of customers. . Im not worried about the US. Its economy is fine and is fulled with smart guys. ... Im my profession there are NO THAIS qualified to be Web masters. they are out there somewhere. but they are suppressed by the companies that take all their work. Even thai content writters are asking to be paid 2500+++ per article. a feat a Highschool 17yo can do for 300bht. Over paid, Under Qualified seems to be the phrase here in thailand.

Want to know who are the single largest holders of usd government debt?

American pension funds.