Fire at the Terminal 21 shopping mall in Bangkok

webfact

We manufacture an extremely effective solution to the problem of grease and oil deposits caused by cooking processes. Every extraction hood in the Mandarin Oriental has our equipment installed (12 kitchens in total).

So...off we go to market this piece of technology to other establishments in Thailand.

After two years of trying we just sell it in Singapore now, where it has been recently tested (and the testing approved by the Singapore National Environment Agency).

Quite simply...Thailand doesn't care about this issue. I'm amazed more buildings haven't burned to the ground given some of the horrendous conditions we have seen in some very Hi-So establishments.

I suppose I should now try and introduce our equipment to the facilities management of T21, but there's no point as we are fed up of being turned away from everywhere because 'if' Thai facilities managers ever wanted to perform some kind of deep-clean they would simply throw a small dark skinned person, on 100 Baht a day, up into the duct with some kind of deadly acid concoction.

Thailand...the country where everything almost works.

Please PM details to me, including your email address. I know a few large companies in Thailand that would be interested.

i completely understand where you are coming from.

a friend of mine had a website that is popular all over the world, but he couldnt get the Thai-Section of his business to work in Thailand because NO ONE WANTS TO SPEND ANY MONEY here.

Even if it will save them money and even make more money for them, they DONT WANT TO SPEND ANY MONEY.

they prefer to take their chances and avoid spending money if they can.

so he closed his Thai department (after 3 years of effort).

his product was different from yours, but the SAME conclusion as you.

I am confused are you talking about restaurants or the government here. Don't want to spend the money its got to be the government.

Its everywhere. You've never been somewhere, like a restaurant, and asked for something only to be told "mai mee"?

Is the mall actually still closed. I find it surprising they wouldn't try to reopen it right away. Its good though, hope there is a proper investigation being done. .....hope.

I have an open fire in my house in Scotland to burn coal or wood. For insurance purposes I must have the chimney swept every year and proof with a receipt from the Sweep.

I also have an oil boiler that has to be serviced once a year for warranty and insurance.

But, folks round these parts they don't even know the meaning of insurance.....never mind maintenance or care and attention or for that matter anything concerning Safety at work, except occassionally making sure there is a Giant Sign on the building site written in English saying Safety First.

This small fire could have been a tragic massacre of human life. Remember Bradford football ground, the London Underground ? all started from a small fire.

Sadly, lessons learned in the UK - but here......don't get caught in a large building when a small fire starts.....

It is sad to see how many Thais rely on Facebook or Line for their information. (I don't understand why they don't use TV laugh.png )

I have received several messages today from friends and students who know that I spend a lot of time in Terminal 21 (lunch breaks), showing photos of buildings engulfed in flames. They have nothing to do with Terminal 21 but many of my Thai friends believe the photos are genuine and that the center has almost burnt down.

Smoke absorbers?

I'm guessing they mean the extraction trunking. If not cleaned properly they get full of grease and very flammable.

I tried to "Like" this post, but was told "There was a problem storing your reputation vote", whatever that means.

You are quite right to say that it is important to keep extraction trunking clean. I hope facilities managers take note.

Happens a lot. Just hit unlike, then hit like again.

Just one reason to put restaurants on the ground floor - but I don't see it happening.

I think you mean the top floor? Fire tends to travel up. A fire on the bottom floor would trap most people inside.

The top floor would be where the presidential suites be located...unless you are talking about the top floor of the podium. Then we would have a blazing pagoda... ?