Expected too much in Thailand?

drronnie

People Move To Maui, Hawaii -- And They Are Disappointed.

People Move To Thailand -- And They Are Disappointed.

Expectations? Wrongly-Set Expectations.

It's Simple.

People move to Maui, Hawaii (true Paradise) and expect to live the EXACT SAME life and lifestyle they had in USA or WhereverLand.

People move to Thailand (not quite Paradise) and fully expect to live the EXACT SAME life and lifestyle they had in USA, Europe, Australia, Wherever.

The issues and problems discussed here on TV about Thailand --- are EXACTLY the same as my complaint of people who move here to Maui.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>.

The issues and problems discussed here on TV about Thailand --- are EXACTLY the same as my complaint of people who move here to Maui.

So the next round would be to complain about people complaining about other people complaining but I guess I'll pass on that one.

Most of the "unfulfilled expectations" foreigners experience stem from the fact that they just can't handle being a minority.

They're used to having all the clout, all the say, all the influence and, in Thailand, they ain't got jack . . . even with the benefit of big baht

Certainly, there are some who manage just fine but there's a significant hardcore that yearns for the feeling of security and power that comes with being part of the majority that dishes out the crap rather than having to take it.

The ignominy of having people they'd typically walk all over back home telling them not only when to jump but also how high is just too much to bear for some of the old colonials

It's only hard to cope with if you think you should be treated better on account of the colour of your skin or the nationality in your passport

I prefer being a minority here than being an ignored majority, soon to be subjugated minority, in my own country.

Outside of double pricing, land ownership and employment restrictions, the latest being of no consequence, as a farang I still feel quite well treated here. Less so than in the past, yes, familiarity has bred contempt.

I would have zero 'clout' in the UK!

My Bad.

After Reading The Smart-Arse Comment, I See That I Mis-Spoke.

I Just Meant To Say -- If I Close My Eyes And Listen To What People Say,

It's Difficult To Remember If I'm In Hawaii Or Thailand.

The Complaints Are The Same.

It's Because Of Their Expectation. They Want The Same Lifestyle.

anyone who is bored is a person who never developed a skill or talent. ......boredom does not reside in the environment; it's in your head space....one has to move forward-like a shark, because the stagnation of the spirit can be suicidal wherever you may be....... i came here because i could not relate to the malaise that has enveloped the U.S.A......5 years over here in Bangkok i have had a definite 'change of ennui'........TVF is a lonely hearts club, where social outliers seek to bond with similar types......IOW, a family held together by unrequited sex and guilt....555555555.

I always take it with a large pinch of salt when anybody here claims to be 'fluent' in Thai.

When you dream, and the conversation in the dream is in Thai, you have arrived at fluency. I haven't, and probably never will. As long as I can communicate in Thai, that's enough.

Most of the "unfulfilled expectations" foreigners experience stem from the fact that they just can't handle being a minority.

They're used to having all the clout, all the say, all the influence and, in Thailand, they ain't got jack . . . even with the benefit of big baht

Certainly, there are some who manage just fine but there's a significant hardcore that yearns for the feeling of security and power that comes with being part of the majority that dishes out the crap rather than having to take it.

The ignominy of having people they'd typically walk all over back home telling them not only when to jump but also how high is just too much to bear for some of the old colonials

It's only hard to cope with if you think you should be treated better on account of the colour of your skin or the nationality in your passport

clap2.gif

My Bad.

After Reading The Smart-Arse Comment, I See That I Mis-Spoke.

I Just Meant To Say -- If I Close My Eyes And Listen To What People Say,

It's Difficult To Remember If I'm In Hawaii Or Thailand.

The Complaints Are The Same.

It's Because Of Their Expectation. They Want The Same Lifestyle.

So you get to listen to people complain in both Hawaii AND Thailand -- sounds exciting.

I prefer being a minority here than being an ignored majority, soon to be subjugated minority, in my own country.

Outside of double pricing, land ownership and employment restrictions, the latest being of no consequence, as a farang I still feel quite well treated here. Less so than in the past, yes, familiarity has bred contempt.

What "ignored" majority?

You mean the white, Anglo-Saxon male majority that occupies the top levels of the political & banking systems, the media, the judiciary and law enforcement in Western countries?

While you, personally, may not necessarily feel like you would have "clout" in the UK, you definitely belonged to the majority group that does.

You mean the white, Anglo-Saxon male majority that occupies the top levels of the political & banking systems, the media, the judiciary and law enforcement in Western countries?

While you, personally, may not necessarily feel like you would have "clout" in the UK, you definitely belonged to the majority group that does.

Isn't it racist to group people by their skin colour?

Not to mention most banking worldwide is run by one minority group.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Of course not.

It's racist to show discrimination, prejudice or hatred towards a group based on their skin colour. Merely using it to describe a group of people does not constitute racism.

Quite a few people here seem to struggle with this point.

Well you know where the "report" button is

What "ignored" majority?

Indeed. Not to mention the pure paranoid fantasy that is the 'soon to be subjugated minority' nonsense.

What "ignored" majority?

Indeed. Not to mention the pure paranoid fantasy that is the 'soon to be subjugated minority' nonsense.

Yep

Apparently, we'll all be wearing burkhas this time next year

I am very content here. Yes I have a nice home with land for my wife to work. My wife is also a lovely person. But most of all why I am content. I am now 74. I think young. If I was in England I would be getting up to cold misrable mornings. I would have big heating bills, higher cost of living, higher prices for a beer. My pension would not go far. But here we live a good comfortable life. I have been here over 15 years and I love it.

Buy more land so your wife can work even more.

No surprise you are contented.

Cmon MaeJo, that's truly misusing the term racist. Statement of facts are in themselves not racist. If I were to say most NBA players are African-American, that wouldn't be racist. But if I were to say I refuse to follow the NBA because most NBA players are African-American, that would be racist. You're not one of those guys still hung-up with the word farang, are you?

It always makes me chuckle when Islamophobes post on here - after all, they've left the UK for a country that has even more muslims in it.

I've not seen many people posting anti Islam comments, wouldn't such posts be breaking forum rules?

I quite like Islam as a religion. It's increase back in my home country certainly wouldn't stop me returning to the UK.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

All depends.

Age and interest makes a big difference.

For older and retired guys Thailand have a lot to offer.

For young guys, not so much, specially if they do not learn the language to be fluent.....in a country where most do not speak a second language.

I met so many young foreigners living here for many years with no Thai language skills, and even not much interested in learning it well......Those probably never will meet its expectations in Thailand.

I do not speak any Thai...Close to 70 years old now, I really am not interested in learn a new language. Having a young wife speaking good English, taking care very well of my needs, with no dramas, no major issues to be worry about, no financial concerns, with a lot of time to do what I like most.

Fishing, gardening, biking, traveling, and getting healthier every day.....What more I can expect for my retirement in Thailand?

Respect and consideration? That too....living in a small town, knowing the culture, participating in local events, being a "local"....Something that is not possible to be in big cities...sometimes...in your own country.

Edited by BKResort

All depends.

For young guys, not so much, specially if they do not learn the language to be fluent.....in a country where most do not speak a second language.

I met so many young foreigners living here for many years with no Thai language skills, and even not much interested in learning it well......Those probably never will meet its expectations in Thailand.

I do not speak any Thai...Close to 70 years old now, I really am not interested in learn a new language. Having a young wife speaking good English, taking care very well of my needs, with no dramas, no major issues to be worry about, no financial concerns, with a lot of time to do what I like most.

Fishing, gardening, biking, traveling, and getting healthier every day.....What more I can expect for my retirement in Thailand?

Respect and consideration? That too....living in a small town, knowing the culture, participating in local events, being a "local"....Something that is not possible to be in big cities...sometimes...in your own country.

There might not be much for younger guys out there in the sticks - but there's plenty here in Bangkok.

What "ignored" majority?

I do not believe in appointing someone purely based on their skin colour or sex.

Discrimination in Western countries is a thing of the past and we now have appointments of minorities and women to high position.

But it should be on merit too.

Your example of law enforcement is wrong, for example in the UK.

As an older white, Anglo Saxon male, in the UK, I am transparent.

It always makes me chuckle when Islamophobes post on here - after all, they've left the UK for a country that has even more muslims in it.

One in 12 in UK schools, 1 in 20 in Thailand. But don't let the facts get in the way of your chuckling eh.

I've not seen many people posting anti Islam comments, wouldn't such posts be breaking forum rules?

I quite like Islam as a religion. It's increase back in my home country certainly wouldn't stop me returning to the UK.

Have you read the Koran in full?

All depends.

You are right age makes a huge difference.Thailand is immensely more enjoyable for the young.